Commuter rail to an Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that most commuter rail systems connect to Amtrak at some point on their network. Thus, using commuter rail as a first or last segment of an Amtrak trip would be definitely possible. The real issue may be that the commuter schedules may not be that well synchronized to Amtrak schedules. On the other hand, Amtrak trains (especially the long-distance one) run behind schedule so frequently that it may not matter that the schedules aren't synchronized, although it increases the chance that the Amtrak train may arrive long after the last commuter train of the day.

I would be more interested in knowing the commuter rail systems that don't connect to Amtrak.

The most obvious one is the Music City Star in Nashville, a city that doesn't have any Amtrak service.

The Baltimore Light Rail serves Penn Station, but only through a branch off the main line. Thus, if I were to ride light rail from my home station, I would have to get off a Mt. Royal and wait for a train coming in the opposite direction that was heading to Penn Station. Given the frequency pf the Penn Station light rail shuttles, it's usually faster to just walk the couple of blocks. Direct light rail to Penn Station best serves the Inner Harbor, Convention Center, Camden Station, and the stadiums. Getting to any other point on the light rail system requires a transfer. There's also a free circulator bus that also connects Penn Station with the Inner Harbor.

Of course you're right, MARC. Back B.C. (=Before COVID) I often took MARC or Amtrak from DC to Baltimore for a ballgame or a museum or just a good meal, and I never bothered catching the light rail at Penn Station. Too infrequent. I'd just hoof it a few blocks to Mt. Royal.

But at least you're better off than Pittsburgh. Where "T" service from Penn Station is infrequent as in "never." From Where Do The Abandoned Third Set Of Tracks At Steel Plaza Lead?: "Around 2007, Port Authority finally shut down the tunnel route from Penn Station to Steel Plaza due to low ridership. Today, that third track is used as a standby [i.e., "staging"] location for trains on very busy days, like Steelers games and parades. The tracks behind Penn Station are closed to the public, but still visible to people waiting for a ride on the busway."

WES Commuter Rail doesn’t have a direct connection to Amtrak, but obviously the Tri-Met system does.

In the transit category Miami Metrorail does not have a proper connection to Amtrak. If Amtrak ever moves their station to the airport this will change but until then no direct connection exists.

Marta in Atlanta would require a bus transfer or a 20-30 min walk
MARTA is a rapid-transit system. Personally, I categorize rapid transit separately than commuter rail as there are a handful of differences.

MARTA is a rapid-transit system. Personally, I categorize rapid transit separately than commuter rail as there are a handful of differences.
Rapid transit systems feed into Amtrak just as commuter rail does. When I was in high school, I took the Market-Frankford Line to catch my train at 30th St. Station. And more recently, I connected from MARC/Amtrak to my job in Washington using the Washington Metro.

Rapid transit systems feed into Amtrak just as commuter rail does. When I was in high school, I took the Market-Frankford Line to catch my train at 30th St. Station. And more recently, I connected from MARC/Amtrak to my job in Washington using the Washington Metro.
When I lived in the Metro DC Area, I used the Metro extensively to get to/from Work, to Union Station to catch Amtrak, and to National Airport.( I mostly used Amtrak for BWI)

MARC and VRE weren't handy to most of the places where I lived till the last couple of years ( I lived.longest
in Rockville)before I retired and went home to Texas.

BART connects at least semi-directly with Amtrak in 3 or 4 places. Richmond, California is the tightest grouped, where it's just down the stairs and you're there. The Oakland Coliseum stop requires using the part of the BART bridge to the Oakland Coliseum stadium or (as I preferred) just crossing the street and walking a half block. Emeryville is somewhat accessible to the Macarthur BART station in Oakland using the free Emery Go Round bus. Once the San Jose and Santa Clara BART stations are done, they will be right next to stations that serve Amtrak.

I would be more interested in knowing the commuter rail systems that don't connect to Amtrak.

SMART is kind of stuck in Sonoma and Marin Counties. Now it might get tricky if one considers thruway buses.

https://www.sonomamarintrain.org
secondary-banner_0.jpg

I regularly use KIS south of Orlando because it's shared with SunRail commuter service, which has a free city-owned parking ramp. The Amtrak ticket agent gives passengers a dashboard pass allowing overnight parking. I've never gone to the upper levels of the garage, but I think SunRail ridership is low enough that the garage doesn't fill up.

The Orlando and Winter Park stations are also shared, but don't have as extensive parking available for overnight use.
Joel, can you expand on the parking situation at Orlando? Just moved to Tampa and was contemplating a weekend trip to Savannah since we'd never been. However, we'd want to do the Meteor with the earlier arrival time into SAV than the Star, so we'd need to get on in Orlando. Or, we just drive. *shudder*

I see a lot of parking lots close to the station, but can't seem to find too much detail about overnight parking. And while the Amtrak site says there is free overnight parking in Orlando, it may shock some to learn, that no additional details are given. Is it just the 20 or so spots I can see in google maps? Or do they contract with a garage somewhere close by?

Joel, can you expand on the parking situation at Orlando? Just moved to Tampa and was contemplating a weekend trip to Savannah since we'd never been. However, we'd want to do the Meteor with the earlier arrival time into SAV than the Star, so we'd need to get on in Orlando. Or, we just drive. *shudder*
Don't they still run a Thruway bus from the Tampa Amtrak station that connects with the Meteor in Orlando?

Don't they still run a Thruway bus from the Tampa Amtrak station that connects with the Meteor in Orlando?
Oh, they do. But Thruway busses aren't Mrs. Fat_Panda_Guy's style. I'll be hard pressed to convince her to join me on this trip. Never mind jumping on a Mears bus in Tampa to then go to Orlando to take a train to Savannah to take an Uber to whatever downtown hotel we choose. No. Sadly, Mrs FPG's zest for travel isn't quite where mine is.

Oh, they do. But Thruway busses aren't Mrs. Fat_Panda_Guy's style. I'll be hard pressed to convince her to join me on this trip. Never mind jumping on a Mears bus in Tampa to then go to Orlando to take a train to Savannah to take an Uber to whatever downtown hotel we choose. No. Sadly, Mrs FPG's zest for travel isn't quite where mine is.
You can always catch the Meteor at Kissimmee which has a nice parking structure where parking is free, registered with Amtrak station agent and patrolled by the Police.

You can always catch the Meteor at Kissimmee which has a nice parking structure where parking is free, registered with Amtrak station agent and patrolled by the Police.
Yeah, that would be easier. Thank you!!! I don't know how I missed that on the timetable I had saved. For some reason, I thought the Meteor skipped Kissimee. That's a much better answer than what I was trying to conjure up!!!

I see a lot of parking lots close to the station, but can't seem to find too much detail about overnight parking. And while the Amtrak site says there is free overnight parking in Orlando, it may shock some to learn, that no additional details are given. Is it just the 20 or so spots I can see in google maps? Or do they contract with a garage somewhere close by?
Just got back from my trip yesterday, and catching up now.

Orlando does have just the spots in the small parking lot. I've only departed from there twice. Once there was plenty of space, but the other time I grabbed one of the last spots. It's in an industrial area that is gradually transforming to the health industry. The parking is open, and I don't know whether it's actively patrolled after hours.

As @jis said, I usually go to Kissimmee, even though it's an extra 15 minute drive for me. I like that the parking is covered, and there's always plenty of space. I don't know about the police patrol, but it feels like a safer area. Overnight parking is prohibited unless you get a permit from the Amtrak ticket agent.

The garage is across the tracks from the Amtrak station; it's on Google Maps as Kissimmee Intermodal Parking Garage. Or you can stop at the station first and leave the Mrs. with the bags, then get the permit and drive across to the garage. Best way to navigate to the Amtrak station lot is to go to Willy's Wieners on Google; if you navigate to Kissimmee Station, Google may route you on a street that's not open to cars.

Back