Companion Coupon Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanghai

Engineer
Is the coupon valid on an Acela train?

On a Regional train, if one upgrades to Business Class

with the coupon, does one only pay for the BC upgrade cost?

Thanks.

Since we can't see/read the coupon, it's hard to say. Generally the answers to your questions are included in the fine print on the coupon itself.

Some coupons exclude certain trains/routes. Some coupons prohibit upgrades to BC/FC. Some times there are black out dates.

I have never used one of my companion coupons but have given them to friends. I assume that you have the same ones that I have. It is my understanding that they are valid on Acela. I was told by a friend to whom I gave a companion coupon that they could not use an upgrade coupon for BC on the Palmetto, but I believe they were able to pay and get BC.

The coupons say, "Offer valid for Coach class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or First class (excluding sleeping car accommodations) is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges." I've used the coupons for Acela travel before, in which case the companion coupon provides for a second BC ticket - if you want FC, you need to pay the accommodation charge for both passengers, and you can't combine with upgrade certificates.

I have never used one of my companion coupons but have given them to friends. I assume that you have the same ones that I have. It is my understanding that they are valid on Acela. I was told by a friend to whom I gave a companion coupon that they could not use an upgrade coupon for BC on the Palmetto, but I believe they were able to pay and get BC.
The Palmetto restriction on the upgrade coupons was lifted for 2013 and beyond. However, companion and upgrade coupons cannot be combined for the same reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back