Complaint letter to AMTRAK not responded to

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God, it just seems like this board is made up of too many AmPoligist.

"2:45 is not that bad of a delay " R U Kidding me? I'd be livid.
Exactly one person said that, and I'd say that SH's perspective on things is not exactly what I would call "mainstream" for the folks around here.

I think that you're getting your bee in a bonnet over nothing.

Clearly, if commuting on Amtrak to work from, say, Poughkeepsie to NY Penn (Empire service), if work starts at 9, and the train is scheduled to get you in at 8:30, and to do that you leave POU at say 7:30... well, clearly even leaving at 4:30 you're "only" leaving 3 hours for something to go wrong. Horrors!!!!
Clearly, the point of my posts continues to sail over your head.

Delays like this are rare.

If you're late for work because of the train having excessive delays on such a rare occasion, it shouldn't be that big a deal. It wasn't when I was commuting on the NEC.

If you're dropping over $500 on theater tickets for one night, maybe you should add a little more slack in your schedule.

Why is that impossible for you to comprehend?

Clearly, if commuting on Amtrak to work from, say, Poughkeepsie to NY Penn (Empire service), if work starts at 9, and the train is scheduled to get you in at 8:30, and to do that you leave POU at say 7:30... well, clearly even leaving at 4:30 you're "only" leaving 3 hours for something to go wrong. Horrors!!!!
Clearly, the point of my posts continues to sail over your head.

Delays like this are rare.

If you're late for work because of the train having excessive delays on such a rare occasion, it shouldn't be that big a deal. It wasn't when I was commuting on the NEC.

If you're dropping over $500 on theater tickets for one night, maybe you should add a little more slack in your schedule.

Why is that impossible for you to comprehend?
I have seen no one propose that they refund the theater tickets. It's clear that Amtrak is not liable for incidental losses such as that, and we all recognize that.

There's also something missing from the story. Even if his schedule was completely tight and accounted for no delay, he'd still have about an hour (if not more) to at least get partial use of the tickets (by seeing the second act after intermission). This would mean that he had less than an hour and 45 minute buffer originally (or perhaps he had a full buffer, but didn't want to see the second act.)

However, this does not absolve Amtrak from not providing the service they advertised, which is to get a person from point A to point B by leaving at time X and arriving at time Y. I think this is where the dispute is: how liable is Amtrak if they're extremely late (which, on the NEC, 2:45 would be extremely late)? I would argue that they're liable for the cost of the tickets, as the service was not delivered as advertised (or even close to what was advertised). An additional voucher for the southbound tickets would give Amtrak a chance to prove themselves again, and if the OP doesn't want to use them, Amtrak is out nothing. (As such, it's not required from a "different than advertised" standpoint, but it's used as a customer retention tool.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back