Complimentary Drinks for Sleeper Car passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure, but I believe the LSA has to account for every drink cup they are issued. So perhaps it would be easier to get hot water if you provide the cup....but then again, there is the sanitary issue, if the dispenser inadvertently makes content with the passenger's own container, so perhaps not permitted that way?

No, not permitted that way even in the dining car. I've never found anyone on Amtrak willing to give me hot water in my travel mug, and when I ask I'm told it's forbidden by health regulations. I do continue to ask, so this isn't just a one-time thing--one of the few Amtrak experiences that's been totally consistent, at least for me.

All non alcoholic drinks stated on the sleeping car menu are complementary for the duration of the trip; one alcoholic beverage is provided for one complete trip of one to three nights; ice and hot water are available to all passengers but may be 'rationed' by the cafe attendant depending on supply available. Sleeping car pax should be able to get drinks, ice, and hot water from the cafe when it is open; and I believe the SCA gets your one complimentary alcoholic drink.

It is 'pandemically safer' to purchase with plastic; and your Amtrak card will give you a discount!

In my experience all terms and conditions may differ as per the attitude of the staff! 🤠

In answer to the question about free hot water from the café car, I have always either bought something else and asked for a cup of hot water too, or I have asked for a cup of hot water only, and placed a small "tip" in the usual receptacle on the counter. Getting the hot water for free is not the objective, but just getting the hot water is. I use it for either making instant oats for breakfast, or maybe a cup of PG Tips tea from my tea bag supply.
I find playing up the "Englishman abroad" aspect allows me to be a bit cheeky when making unusual requests from staff... A few "I say old chap..." or "By Joves…" helps to smooth my path! :D

In answer to the question about free hot water from the café car, I have always either bought something else and asked for a cup of hot water too, or I have asked for a cup of hot water only, and placed a small "tip" in the usual receptacle on the counter. Getting the hot water for free is not the objective, but just getting the hot water is. I use it for either making instant oats for breakfast, or maybe a cup of PG Tips tea from my tea bag supply.
I find playing up the "Englishman abroad" aspect allows me to be a bit cheeky when making unusual requests from staff... A few "I say old chap..." or "By Joves…" helps to smooth my path! :D
Always enjoy your responses and wish I had an English accent like you! Over the years I've gotten to know many of the attendants... especially on the EB which I ride frequently. These friendships pay off big dividends... enriching travel with talk about what's happening behind the scenes. As I am usually riding alone it is my personal disposition to want to strike up a conversation with the staff... with empathetic ear to the plight of Amtrak workers; especially during these trying times.

BTW I just love England and one of my favorite legendary heroes is Winston Churchill. It's still possible to catch clips of 'The Valiant Years' on Youtube. Cheers! :) 😇 🌈

I wish I could pull off an accent! I'm as American as they come, and also have "foamer" tattooed on my forehead. The best I can hope for is to convince the SCA that I really do know how to make the bed and attach the safety strap.

I've been riding Amtrak since the beginning, and I pretty much go with the flow, sometimes you get a great SCA and a sympathetic LSA, sometimes you don't. I'm just happy to have a room and look out the window. It is even legal to bring your own booze in your room.

The one free alcoholic drink is a nice mini-perk, but I sure miss the wine and cheese party leaving Chicago on the LSL. That was fun!

One time I was on the LSL headed for NYC. The cafe car goes to BOS after Albany, so I went to the dining car and asked if they had any wine. They said they didn't, but a bored attendant said "There's some bottles left from the party, give him one of those...", for free yet!

I have been able to get ice at no charge while riding coach on both Silvers without any problem or complaint. They always give it to me in a disposable cup even though I have my insulated one with me - and this has been consistent well before the pandemic.

I am not sure, but I believe the LSA has to account for every drink cup they are issued. So perhaps it would be easier to get hot water if you provide the cup....but then again, there is the sanitary issue, if the dispenser inadvertently makes content with the passenger's own container, so perhaps not permitted that way?
I think the accountability of each individual drink cup (recyclable cardboard) is only in the dream world of pencil pushing paper clip auditing
bean counting management. The train leaves a turn around cleaning resupplying station with a set amount of dining and beverage gear.
Unless there is an insufficient resupply no one is counting the use and number of plastic silverware paper cups dispensed during a trip.

About the dispensing of beverages from Amtrak dispensers to the customers containers - the cross contamination issue is possible just
like it is more severely on cruise ships - the correct method is to dispense the beverage into the provided paper plastic ceramic porcelain
container and then pour that into ones own container - NOT directly from dispenser to personal container.

The accountability of alcohol is of course of a more immediate concern - still yet it is possible for the LSA to give more than one drink to
one or more customers while others who do not drink are shown as being given one - just not them. Seriously I can't see 1 of those 1 ounce
little bitty bottles satisfying a consummate drinker - wine splits and beer are more in line with the rationing.
Consider it best to BYOB and party in your own private space - Amtrak perhaps furnishing the mixers fixens accessories.

About the dispensing of beverages from Amtrak dispensers to the customers containers - the cross contamination issue is possible just
like it is more severely on cruise ships - the correct method is to dispense the beverage into the provided paper plastic ceramic porcelain
container and then pour that into ones own container - NOT directly from dispenser to personal container.

And yet, convenience stores across the country allow refills without any discernable or documented problems ...

It's all about the 'allure' of first class service which adds that dimension to travel. Remembering Amtrak at the very beginning; still running those pullman cars. Upon boarding the customer was given an amenity kit, a personal bottle of Champagne, a package of munchie snacks, and meal coupons. Enthusiastic service was the icing. The actual meals were of extraordinary quality and dining was truly a joyful part of the experience. Wine and cheese tasting in the afternoon? Just bring it on!

ec533e024ebf7c8454357457dc5f9df8.jpg

unnamed.jpg

FirstVersions_Amtrak_1971-SilverSolarium.png

It's all about the 'allure' of first class service which adds that dimension to travel. Remembering Amtrak at the very beginning; still running those pullman cars. Upon boarding the customer was given an amenity kit, a personal bottle of Champagne, a package of munchie snacks, and meal coupons. Enthusiastic service was the icing. The actual meals were of extraordinary quality and dining was truly a joyful part of the experience. Wine and cheese tasting in the afternoon? Just bring it on!

View attachment 19724

View attachment 19725

View attachment 19726

Just a few years ago I was still getting a welcome bottle of champaigne on the empire builder and starlight. Free wine and cheese tastings on the builder, starlight, and lake shore. Regional food and wines in the dining car, etc.

I’m not wanting the “good ole days” of the Pullman, I’m wanting Amtrak from less than 10 years ago.

Just a few years ago I was still getting a welcome bottle of champaigne on the empire builder and starlight. Free wine and cheese tastings on the builder, starlight, and lake shore. Regional food and wines in the dining car, etc.

I’m not wanting the “good ole days” of the Pullman, I’m wanting Amtrak from less than 10 years ago.
I'm certainly ok with that! ;)

It is 'pandemically safer' to purchase with plastic; and your Amtrak card will give you a discount!

I really should know this for sure, but my recollection of a cafe car purchase I made 2 months ago involved me handing over my credit card to the attendant, who then swiped the card. I can't see how that is "pandemically safer than my handing him some banknotes. I have been seeing more point of sale devices where you, the customer, swipe or insert your card yourself. (I saw these the first time on a trip to Canada in 2015.) Has Amtrak moved to these for the cafe cars?

And yet, convenience stores across the country allow refills without any discernable or documented problems ...
I think that subject has been discussed before here on AU. Something about the convenience stores are regulated and inspected by various state and local health departments, whereas Amtrak foodservice is regulated by a Federal Agency (FDA?) that has different standards and different degrees of strictness in inspections compared to the state and local folks.

I really should know this for sure, but my recollection of a cafe car purchase I made 2 months ago involved me handing over my credit card to the attendant, who then swiped the card. I can't see how that is "pandemically safer than my handing him some banknotes. I have been seeing more point of sale devices where you, the customer, swipe or insert your card yourself. (I saw these the first time on a trip to Canada in 2015.) Has Amtrak moved to these for the cafe cars?

A credit card transaction involves you and one other person, who if not wearing gloves, can contaminate your card. A cash transaction involves you and other people who have touched the "filthy lucre" :D
Neither situation is very optimal in my opinion.

When I use my card - handing to a person or inserting into a machine - I wipe it down with a sterile wipe before touching it with my hand(s)

Don't care of they have gloves on or not since I clean the card upon return.

I have not used cash since before the pandemic

Which do you think is more sanitary?

I was particularly grossed out at Chicago union station when people were refilling water bottles and personal containers that were clearly touching the water spouts. Signs clearly said not to refill personal containers.

Here in the UK we use contactless credit or debit cards that we just hold near the terminal to pay for our purchases, no swiping or inserting or handing the card to anyone. Our purchase limit without need for a "pin code" was £30, but now increased to £50 since the pandemic. Do you not have these in America?

it is rolling out slowly, since it often involves changing or upgrading terminals, nfc capable smart phone compatibility using things like apple pay or its competitors is also catching on. keep in mind we were already late to switch to chip cards...whenever i receive a new card, replacing an expiring card, it has contactless capability

Here in the UK we use contactless credit or debit cards that we just hold near the terminal to pay for our purchases, no swiping or inserting or handing the card to anyone. Our purchase limit without need for a "pin code" was £30, but now increased to £50 since the pandemic. Do you not have these in America?
In Canada we have a similar system where you tap your credit/debit card for small purchases. A couple of months ago many vendors stopped accepting tap coincident with the credit card companies adding an additional service charge to vendors for tap purchases vs. PIN transactions. According to a store that I trust, the fee varied from .5% to 1.5% in addition to the fees they already pay for credit/debit use and was justified by tap transactions being "less secure". Some small stores actually have a small handwritten sign attached to their terminals stating "Please don't use tap" or "Please insert your card".

I have always been able to obtain hot water gratis from the café car when in coach seats.
Getting the hot water for free is not the objective, but just getting the hot water is.
This may seem insignificant at first but Amtrak does not promise free hot water in coach (with or without a tip) and when a new or infrequent passenger boards expecting free hot water they're likely to be disappointed and blaming Amtrak staff. Better to be upfront on something like this rather than implying one thing while meaning another.

Actually their service standards say they do, but I don't think they have it on website.

8. Hot Water Customers are entitled to hot water in café/lounge cars by request. Hot water requests using revenue cups are captured Complimentary Service.

I put a quarter in a parking meter the other day. First time I've used cash in a while.

Good golly how much time did a quarter give you ?
Time to make 25 steps away from the meter before expiring.
The big change now is eliminating individual meters - instead you go to a central unit controlling 10-30 spaces
tap in the number of the space insert cc and time desired (maximum time may only be 2 hours at high demand locations).
The parking meter officer only needs to check a few central units to issue tags and enhance city revenue.

it is rolling out slowly, since it often involves changing or upgrading terminals, nfc capable smart phone compatibility using things like apple pay or its competitors is also catching on. keep in mind we were already late to switch to chip cards...whenever i receive a new card, replacing an expiring card, it has contactless capability

Careful with those contact cards - don't leave them out in exposed places while in public - use an envelope device with a radio-frequency screen
to shield unwanted charges to your account. Just like the copy function between two cell phones - one phone on an open frequency can access
your contactless card and perhaps maybe incur charges without your immediate knowledge - it is the proximity between the two - all that much
more reason to do the virus distancing spacing and only use/present the card when payment is required/requested.
There is also the remote possibility of getting magnetic interference with contact proximity and the digital imbedded chip resulting when that
function is being use - the fall back it the ole swiping strip on the back but even that can be suspect - then resorting to making a paper manual
charge on the multi-digit account number. Any of these occurring notify the cc company right away to get a new usable card.
Time is of essence in the protection of your account. Have your cc company email you and your cell phone of any LARGE and multiple purchases
so you can contest them and put an alert hold on your card spending.

Getting HOT water - is it really really McDonalds HOT scalding ?
Or tepid to make instant ICED TEA ?
Are the containers/cups lined with a cardboard sleeve to attempt keep the heat in and the cup itself cool to touch outside ?
Hopefully you don't have to go thru several cars and up and down a staircase to accomplish the beverage mission !

Back