Confusing Auto Train reservation/pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to take the Auto Train today. I went to AMTRAK.com and clicked on the auto train reservation. For the date 3/13, it showed a price of 148 for 2 ppl. A roomette was 126. The auto fee was 157. I clicked on these to purchase and the fare went from 148 to 186. The room remained the same as did the auto fee. The total fare with accommodations ended up at 469. I did not understand why the fare price jumped after making the reservation (as the roomette seemed to be a low bucket compared to other dates). I then made a dummy reservation but did not reserve a roomette and the fare remained at 148, very confusing as to why the fare goes up when you purchase a roomette. Has this happened to anyone else?

The coach reservations are pricing out on the "Winter Sale" discount. This sale does not allow the addition of sleeping rooms so the rail fare is repricing without the discount to the regular adult price when the room is added.

Thanks for the info. This must also affect discounts and promos as when I applied my AAA card the price went even higher.
When you "apply" your AAA card it takes away the discounted fare. The NE Regionals are similar. I travel from PHL to RTE frequently. The 25% off fare is a decent $59! :D I have a Student Advantage card which gives me 15% off the fare. The fare goes up to $72.25! :eek:hboy: If you go to upgrade to Business it goes to $103!!! :wacko: Because in the promotion on the homepage it mention no upgrades allowed. What I did in August of 09' was book the reduced coach fare and have the AGR upgrade coupon with me and upgrade to BC at the station for FREE! :D ARROW was being a little stubborn but the ticket agent at PHL got it to work and was great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back