Congressional double standard on food cost.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry H.

Conductor
Reading about all the dismay of the condition of food on board Amtrak Diners and the changes being forced on us made me wonder about what Congress is getting in they're dining rooms.

The first article on cost of running the dining rooms at the Senate from 2008 stated that in 44 years of operation there are only 7 years in which is didn't loose money. As of that year the loss was over 2 million.

The quality of food was also discussed and while some complaints are seen, many of the people get catered to with meals they particularly like. Also beyond that cost I see from a New York Post Article in 2013 which tells about "High Cost of Congressional Food and Drink on taxpayers Dough, raises questions.

Just a few examples of cost we picked up in the last quarter of that year came to Pelosi spending $3, 510 in three months on food. John Bohner spent $11,225 and most others had cost between those two levels.

Photos of the private Senate Dining rooms show luxurious surroundings reminiscent of dining cars in the turn of the previous century.

Maybe congress would learn something from having the exact food in their money losing restaurants we get onboard.

Since the infamous John Mica was unceremoniously defeated in 2016, the sanctimonious caterwauling continued about food & beverage costs? He was the one seemingly leading that charge and made it his focus in his efforts to dismantle Amtrak. It may have continued in the last year and a half-plus, but I haven't noticed it.

When has anything ever NOT been a double standard for Congress?? Everything from the federal laws not applying to them to their retirement packages after ONE term! I've never understood how voters could be so freaking stupid. Term limits need to be the law of the land. God save us from Congress...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, term limits would be nice, but we are dealing with what we have today. The pressure needs to be placed on the right individual (s) who can muster the support to pass quickly an amendment or ridder that reverses the F&B mandate. In Congress I do not know who would be the best person for the task. I am hoping others do and are already lobbing to get the movement started,

I am still waiting for someone to explain why does Amtrak loose so much money on food? NYTimes says its employee shrinkage. Another news sources says its the high cost of labor. It's estimated Amtrak looses $87 million a year on food. I have read through most of the posts. Yes, people are mad at the changes. But what do you expect Amtrak to eventually do? The only solution or idea I have read is going to the Acela format (whatever that is) in serving food.

I have traveled on Amtrak for over 30 years and have sat down in the dining car 4 times. Maybe thats the problem.

I am still waiting for someone to explain why does Amtrak loose so much money on food? NYTimes says its employee shrinkage. Another news sources says its the high cost of labor. It's estimated Amtrak looses $87 million a year on food. I have read through most of the posts. Yes, people are mad at the changes. But what do you expect Amtrak to eventually do? The only solution or idea I have read is going to the Acela format (whatever that is) in serving food.

I have traveled on Amtrak for over 30 years and have sat down in the dining car 4 times. Maybe thats the problem.
The Acela food service and LD train food service have very different constituencies, plus a gigantic difference in economy of scale. You could not duplicate the Acela experience on most LD trains successfully...tho they seem to be (sort of) trying with the CL and LSL since June 1. How's that working out?

Perhaps they can save a little, not much, but every little bit helps, by eliminating tables in dinette cars, and replacing them with revenue seating. Since coach seats have tray tables, people could bring their purchased meals back to their seats, instead of to a table. I realize that this would only be tolerable in a short distance corridor train, but better to do this, than eliminate food service entirely.

I don't think it would be tolerable to have no lounge space on long distance trains....

Don't disagree with those who see double standards by our Congressmen, But do disagree rather strongly with the idea of term limits for these people being the answer. Ohio has term limits for our General Assembly and it has not been a wise political solution to my State's problems. Institutional knowledge is lost so too much time is spent in "re-inventing the wheel" instead of moving forward and solving problems.

The cost of F&B on Amtrak is made up of several factors. The F&B crew is union making union wages which is totally different from normal restaurants. The cost to maintain and operate the Dining Car per passenger mile is far exceeds the cost for an average causal restaurant. Supply and demand for food service on any given train can vary by departure and route. Also different from your average restaurant is the fact the train has an established group throughout the trip that may purchase. There can not be any other people enticed to stop by. There are other factors involved, but Amtrak is operating a unique type F&B operation that is suppose to be an enticement to ride Amtrak (which it no longer is, now it is a detractor and negative to getting more passengers).

Back