Connecting from Amtrak to Center City Philadelphia at 30th Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand the “Center City station” reference either. I’d just ignore it.

The two “freebies” connecting from Amtrak at 30th Street are Suburban Station and Jefferson Station (which used to be called Market East and is nowhere near Jefferson hospital—they just threw money at SEPTA to get their name used). Very unlikely that anyone will look at your ticket on the train itself—they change crews at Suburban so are busy with that.

Suburban brings you out near City Hall and Macy’s.

Jefferson Station is at the convention center and across the street from Reading Terminal Market.

I prefer Jefferson because I always get lost in Suburban and always, always end up at the exit with a steep set of stairs to the street and can’t figure out where I am at the top. Jefferson is a bit easier for those like me with little sense of direction.😁

I hope you have a wonderful time in Philly! Make sure to take in the lovely main hall at 30th Street.

Also, if you have time, go to Macy’s to look at the Eagle, and look for Billy Penn standing at the top of City Hall looking out over the city (and maybe saying “I need a break—which way to Pittsburgh?”😁).
To which I'd add: Take a walk through Reading Terminal Market. Interesting mix of shops and food opportunities (including excellent Amish apple dumplings--ask for milk to pour over it).

Six-term Congressman from Philadelphia. Chaired the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Budget in the late 1980s, then became part of the House Democratic leadership, serving as Majority Whip (two rungs below Speaker). Might've eventually become Speaker himself but instead resigned to head the United Negro College Fund. Died in 2013 at just 71.

(I didn't hafta look up much of this, except the dates and length, because my federal career dealt with the budget.)
Here is the Wikipedia page for the deep dive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Gray_III

The only decent cheesesteak place I know of that's near Jefferson or Suburban Stations is the one in Reading Terminal Market. (Forgot the name). There's also a good one that makes various lists of "the best of Philly" cheesesteak places on the 200 block of Market St. (Sonny's), but that would require paying money to ride the Market-Frankford Line from 30th St. Station to 2nd. St. Station. The other good Cheesesteak place in the vicinity of Center City is Jim's at 4th and South, but it is apparently temporarily closed due to a fire. Most of the "best of Philly" cheesesteak places listed on various culinary websites are not in Center City and a lot are not conveniently accessible by transit.

My understanding is that it will read any Amtrak bar code. If on your phone, they say "activate" it. I think that means turn it on.

Thank you MARC Rider and trainrider1 for the info. My plans are to head to Sonny's upon returning from Septa 101 to Media and return on former PRR route. I did the reverse about 6-7 years ago, so this time I'm walking downhill in Media to the former PRR station. I remember I liked Sonny's from that or another trip (of a dozen or more) to ride all of SEPTA. I managed to catch the Girard #15 route 2 days before they shut down. Suprisingly, as of this past Tuesday, from Amtrak, I noted that all the trolley wire is gone. By design or by theft, I don't know.

I have to disagree with you, though, about the cheesesteak place in Reading Terminal Market. I had one of theirs 4-5 years ago and wasn't thrilled with it. If I had time, I'd head to one of the places on Oregon, where I spent a couple weeks near there training back in March '08. But my plan is to generally repeat a trip I did years ago coming from Trenton on the RiverLine, subway, etc, to Media then return to 30th St Station with dinner at Sonny's Of course, everything must be close to on time to make it all work. Jersey Mike's is OK in the station, but not as good as Sonny's.

Trainrider1: Thanks for the ticket info!

The only decent cheesesteak place I know of that's near Jefferson or Suburban Stations is the one in Reading Terminal Market. (Forgot the name). There's also a good one that makes various lists of "the best of Philly" cheesesteak places on the 200 block of Market St. (Sonny's), but that would require paying money to ride the Market-Frankford Line from 30th St. Station to 2nd. St. Station. The other good Cheesesteak place in the vicinity of Center City is Jim's at 4th and South, but it is apparently temporarily closed due to a fire. Most of the "best of Philly" cheesesteak places listed on various culinary websites are not in Center City and a lot are not conveniently accessible by transit.
There are three places listed on the Reading Terminal Market website with "cheesesteaks" in their name!

Thank you MARC Rider and trainrider1 for the info. My plans are to head to Sonny's upon returning from Septa 101 to Media and return on former PRR route. I did the reverse about 6-7 years ago, so this time I'm walking downhill in Media to the former PRR station. I remember I liked Sonny's from that or another trip (of a dozen or more) to ride all of SEPTA. I managed to catch the Girard #15 route 2 days before they shut down. Suprisingly, as of this past Tuesday, from Amtrak, I noted that all the trolley wire is gone. By design or by theft, I don't know.

I have to disagree with you, though, about the cheesesteak place in Reading Terminal Market. I had one of theirs 4-5 years ago and wasn't thrilled with it. If I had time, I'd head to one of the places on Oregon, where I spent a couple weeks near there training back in March '08. But my plan is to generally repeat a trip I did years ago coming from Trenton on the RiverLine, subway, etc, to Media then return to 30th St Station with dinner at Sonny's Of course, everything must be close to on time to make it all work. Jersey Mike's is OK in the station, but not as good as Sonny's.

Trainrider1: Thanks for the ticket info!
bratkinson: Thanks for the information that the hike from the SEPTA Route 101 light rail terminus in Media, Pa., to the SEPTA Media regional rail station is downhill. I've wondered about that. :)

Back