Connecting from train 92 at Washington DC and New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billvasili

Train Attendant
l have taken the trains between DC and Kissimmee for years. l would take the late train leaving Kissimmee around 7:15pm and still was in time to arrive in DC to make the Capitol Ltd connection back to Chicago. l have a ticket on 92 but we get in at 3:04. Is this train making all the stops that makes it harder to make the transfer in DC on the same day?

The current Star is a combined Star/Meteor and does not run the same schedule that the Star used to have ... thus making some connections in DC no longer possible or guaranteed.

The current Star is a combined Star/Meteor and does not run the same schedule that the Star used to have ... thus making some connections in DC no longer possible or guaranteed.
The connections in DC and New York that are currently not possible were mostly off of the Meteor which is not running until early September. There has been no significant change in the Star schedule. Connections that were not possible off of it pre-COVID are unsurprisingly, still not [possible.

The connection to the North at NYP from the Star to 65/66/67 is currently not possible because 65/66/67 is not running until July 10th.

Last edited:
l have taken the trains between DC and Kissimmee for years. l would take the late train leaving Kissimmee around 7:15pm and still was in time to arrive in DC to make the Capitol Ltd connection back to Chicago. l have a ticket on 92 but we get in at 3:04. Is this train making all the stops that makes it harder to make the transfer in DC on the same day?
The later train from Kissimmee was 98, the Silver Meteor. 92 is the Silver Star. The Meteor is not running due to staff (engineer/conductor) shortages and the length of time needed to train and qualify those positions. The current timeframe for the Meteor (97/98) to return to service is sometime in Sept.

Last edited:
I was not totally sure which train(s) schedules changed. I only knew that some of the "trips" I had looked at pre-covid that had connections in DC now display "Something wrong with our System. Please try again" because the connections are not available. They were available pre-covid.

The later train from Kissimmee was 97, the Silver Meteor. 92 is the Silver Star. The Meteor is not running due to staff (engineer/conductor) shortages and the length of time needed to train and qualify those positions. The current timeframe for the Meteor (97/98) to return to service is sometime in Sept.
The northbound Silver Meteor is train 98 and, when running, it leaves KIS earlier than train 92, the Silver Star (at approximately 1pm). Connections from the Silver Meteor to the Capitol Limited and to the Lakeshore Limited were possible (assumiing the Meteor was more or less on time) prior to the combination of the Star and Meteor using the Star schedule.

The connection to the North at NYP from the Star to 65/66/67 is currently not possible because 65/66/67 is not running until mid-September.
I thought these trains were resuming around July 11/12… at least they were still taking resverstions for these days.

Now I’m confused. Thought the Meteor was returning in September, not May, and not July, as previously announced. Your average train rider would be forgiven if they thought Amtrak had no idea what they are doing!
The overnight NE regional trains (65/66/67) resume in July. One can use those trains to get to Boston off of train 92 (the silver star) without having to stay the night.

The meteor returns in September.

The overnight NE regional trains (65/66/67) resume in July. One can use those trains to get to Boston off of train 92 (the silver star) without having to stay the night.

The meteor returns in September.
Exactly. That was the point. My original error was saying that 65/66/67 returns in September, when they actually return in July enabling same day transfer from 92 to go to points north/east of New York and also connect to 91 at New York with greater safety margin.

Of course, as a matter of convenience for those coming from and going to south of Washington DC by 91/92, it would be better to transfer to/from 65/66/67 at Washington Union Station. Changing at New York would involve oh dark thirty boarding/disembarking to/from 65/66/67.

And Amtrak needs to add WAS as a legal connection point between 91/92 and 65/66/67. Until they do that one will have to construct the itinerary by hand.

Last edited:
Now I’m confused. Thought the Meteor was returning in September, not May, and not July, as previously announced. Your average train rider would be forgiven if they thought Amtrak had no idea what they are doing!
The average train rider isn't going to have any clue what these rumors are and isn't going to follow the discussion on a forum about when they may or may not return.

When they're back, they'll be loaded into inventory and the average rider will book a trip.

The average train rider isn't going to have any clue what these rumors are and isn't going to follow the discussion on a forum about when they may or may not return.

When they're back, they'll be loaded into inventory and the average rider will book a trip.
Very true, but they will be quickly aware of the turmoil in Amtrak when they do book a trip and then Amtrak changes their trip schedule multiple times if not canceling it.

Amtrak won’t be successful until it achieves consistency in all areas: services offered, on board service, reliable equipment, and OTP.

Very true, but they will be quickly aware of the turmoil in Amtrak when they do book a trip and then Amtrak changes their trip schedule multiple times if not canceling it.

Amtrak won’t be successful until it achieves consistency in all areas: services offered, on board service, reliable equipment, and OTP.
That assumes that such a thing happens to them, which statistically speaking isn't going to happen to most passengers.

Or they'll be used to it because the airlines do the same thing, especially if you book more than a couple months in advance.

Or they'll be used to it because the airlines do the same thing, especially if you book more than a couple months in advance.
I still remember, from 2012, when an airline changed one of my flights to arrive the day after the flight I was connecting to.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: A very very gentle reminder that this thread is about connection possibilities from 92 and to 91 at Washington DC or New York and not about how frequently Amtrak or the airlines change their schedules and cancel trains/flights. ;) Nor is it about what will cause Amtrak to succeed or fail. :)

Back