Connecting with the Crescent via the Silver Star (92) in WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinslot

Service Attendant
This is something I've noticed when trying to see how Amtrak can take me from Orlando to Birmingham...I realize there are straighter non-train paths between those two destinations, but I really prefer the train.

Whenever I try to book this trip the Amtrak website only gives me the option to take the 98 to DC...which arrives at 7:07 AM. The Crescent doesn't depart until 6:30 PM, so that's an undesirable layover to say the least. The thing is, the 92 arrives at 2:38 PM...that's, what, 3 hours and 52 minutes between trains? That seems like more than enough time for a connecting train. And now that I look at it, the SWC to CL (heading west) connection is 3 hours and 50 minutes--the SWC arrives in Chicago at 2:50 PM (theoretically speaking) and the CL leaves at 6:40 PM--that's 3 hours and 50 minutes apart, and the Amtrak website is fine with that.

Wonder what the deal is...maybe the Amtrak system still thinks the 92 is the 1092 and it's going to arrive two hours later?

You may need to call and speak to an agent to book it. I have traveled from Orlando to New Orleans several times and may have connected from the Star to the Crescent many years ago, but recently, I have connected from the Meteor.

You may need to call and speak to an agent to book it. I have traveled from Orlando to New Orleans several times and may have connected from the Star to the Crescent many years ago, but recently, I have connected from the Meteor.

What did you do during that enormous layover? One could definitely make a "day in DC" out of it, hit some museums or something.

What did you do during that enormous layover? One could definitely make a "day in DC" out of it, hit some museums or something.

If it is nice day, I walk around DC. The last time I had a long layover and not so great weather, I took the Circulator bus to Georgetown.

A mate and I did this some years ago connecting from the SM to CL. We put our luggage into the club Acela lounge and hight tailed it out to Dules to visit the Air & Space Musem Annex [makes the one on the Mall look small!] We watched the time and made it back to WUS in plenty of time for the CL 4:00/4:30 departure time.
DC is a city where it is not hard to spend the day at various attractions and relatively cheaply too.

My wife and I did the Meteor - Crescent connection last year. We left our bags in the lounge and had a nice time visiting the museums. I would recommend this since it alleviates all concerns about lateness and allows a good amount of time to see the DC sites. There are a lot of options and tours available.

DC is one place where you can entertain yourself for a short time (walk to the Postal Museum) or a long one (visit Arlington National Cemetery or the Air Museum at Dulles) and all by inexpensive public transit.

The ticket agent was able to book me on the 92 to connect with the Crescent, for the record. I'm fairly confident that nearly four hours between arriving and departing trains will allow me to make that connection (knocks on wood.)

Back