Connection between Coast Starlight and California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyroad

Service Attendant
I have a question for you that have traveled more than I. The Coast Starlight is scheduled to get into Sacramento Ca from Portland Oregon at 6:15am. Then the California Zephyr is suppose to leave Sac at 4:38pm same day. Is that a comfortable connection layover for the Coast Starlight arrival time? If we would miss the Zephyr how would Amtrak take care of us. We would be in roomettes.
Thanks for any info and help on this.

Don't know how you came up with 4:38pm departure time for the CZ from SAC, but depending on which direction you're taking the CZ out of SAC, the earliest departure time is 11:09am, giving you a minimum of 4h54m between trains.

Try a test booking to see if it's bookable on one ticket. If it is bookable it's a guaranteed connection and Amtrak will "take care of you" - somehow. Maybe a bus ride or the next day.

I am doing that exact transfer in September. Plenty of time to make the connection. Usually the CS is on time into Sac,Often early

Don't know how you came up with 4:38pm departure time for the CZ from SAC, but depending on which direction you're taking the CZ out of SAC, the earliest departure time is 11:09am, giving you a minimum of 4h54m between trains.

Try a test booking to see if it's bookable on one ticket. If it is bookable it's a guaranteed connection and Amtrak will "take care of you" - somehow. Maybe a bus ride or the next day.
You are right about my departure time being wrong. We are heading east on the Zephyr so the 11:09 is correct. I am just a worrier when it comes to missing a connection. Thanks for letting me know what Amtrak will do for me. ;)

I've done that connection, and had plenty of time for breakfast out with a friend. I can highly recommend breakfast at the Fox & Goose Public House, but it's 1.5 miles from the station, google says a 25 minute brisk walk (or take a taxi). Their website says they are open for breakfast and lunch these days, and have al fresco dining as well as indoors & takeout (mentioning this because the options right around the station were less attractive, even pre-covid).

If you want to check any connection, go to ASMAD - Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database - Train Connections History Search. Using Trains 11 and 6 connecting at SAC, I see that there haven't been any misses in the last month.

What perks do you get in Business Class on the Coast Starlight. Do we get free food of any kind? I think we get a bottled water, but anything else? Going from PDX to SAC.. I have looked at the Amtrak site and am still confused. Thanks.

I've done that connection, and had plenty of time for breakfast out with a friend. I can highly recommend breakfast at the Fox & Goose Public House, but it's 1.5 miles from the station, google says a 25 minute brisk walk (or take a taxi). Their website says they are open for breakfast and lunch these days, and have al fresco dining as well as indoors & takeout (mentioning this because the options right around the station were less attractive, even pre-covid).

If you want to check any connection, go to ASMAD - Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database - Train Connections History Search. Using Trains 11 and 6 connecting at SAC, I see that there haven't been any misses in the last month.
Nice link.

What perks do you get in Business Class on the Coast Starlight. Do we get free food of any kind? I think we get a bottled water, but anything else? Going from PDX to SAC.. I have looked at the Amtrak site and am still confused. Thanks.
Besides the bottle of water, they used to give a voucher for either the Cafe Car or the diner (at least before it was sleeper only). Six or seven dollars I believe.

Not much. I don't know the specifics. You should get Metropolitan Lounge access in Portland, a little bit nicer seat, and a quieter car.

I’ve also made this connection a few times.

My go-to Coffee and Breakfast stop has always been Steamers in Old Town. Scenic and Historic .5 mile walk. There’s also a Starbucks right next to the station but it’s listed as temporarily closed.

Not much. I don't know the specifics. You should get Metropolitan Lounge access in Portland, a little bit nicer seat, and a quieter car.
I took CS BC last year. Bottled water is the only extra,besides the quieter atmosphere,and I would imagine you could probably get two seats. If that was a guarantee,I"d always go for it

I took CS BC last year. Bottled water is the only extra,besides the quieter atmosphere,and I would imagine you could probably get two seats. If that was a guarantee,I"d always go for it
Thanks. We would be coming from Portland to Sacramento so we would have Business class for the peace and quiet and more leg room. We will bring food from Portland to eat since we will be staying the night there. I appreciate all the great help I have gotten.

Coming into Sacramento there is a sizable amount of recovery time so I wouldn't really worry about that too much.
Thanks. I just worry about things to much I guess. Now I am not going to let the connection be a bother for me and I know if we do '' The Big Circle '' we will have a wonderful time.
Thanks to all for the great help. :)

Last edited:
Back