Connection from CS to EB in Portland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjgiss

Train Attendant
Is it a gaurented connection between CS and eastbound EB?

If not what happens if CS is late and misses EB?

yes it is guaranteed. the cs has a good on-time record but were it to miss the eb it is possible you would be bused from klamath falls to pasco to catch up to the eb or that you would be lodged in portland and put on next day's train.

Or if it late, but not too late, they may hold the EB at PDX for the arrival of the CS. Or they may bus the connecting passengers from either Albany or Salem to PDX. (It's actually faster to drive up I-5 then the train takes.) The bussing from KFS is the last choice.

If for some reason all these do not happen, you'll be put up in a hotel (on Amtrak's dime:) ) and sent out on the next day's EB.

FYI: I have been bussed from Albany and had the EB held on another occasion, but have never mis-connected in PDX!

Or if it late, but not too late, they may hold the EB at PDX for the arrival of the CS. Or they may bus the connecting passengers from either Albany or Salem to PDX. (It's actually faster to drive up I-5 then the train takes.) The bussing from KFS is the last choice.
If for some reason all these do not happen, you'll be put up in a hotel (on Amtrak's dime:) ) and sent out on the next day's EB.

FYI: I have been bussed from Albany and had the EB held on another occasion, but have never mis-connected in PDX!
I've done this connection a half dozen times, and never misconnected until the most recent time. Our train arrived very late, after making a wonderful detour to avoid a derailment, much of it on tracks that never saw passenger service, even pre-Amtrak. In that case Mrs Ispolkom and I were rebooked on the next day's sleeper and also got:

1) A room for the day at a Marriott Courtyard (our train arrived at 7:30 a.m., #28 leaves in the afternoon.

2) A taxi voucher (even though the hotel was less than half a mile from a light rail station)

3) $25 each in cash for lunch.

I was impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back