Connection Guarantees with Tri-Weekly Service?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... if misconnects at CUS now mean people will wait 2 more days for the next train out... does this mean that Amtrak will hold all the LD trains for late arrivals (more than what has been the practice)?

Already posted in an Empire Builder thread, but probably ought to have been posted here instead:

I'm finding it hard to imagine why anyone would book an expensive sleeper ticket with a connection involving 3/week scheduling requiring a more-than-one-day layover if the connection is missed, plus Amtrak's recent history of so many missed connections, plus no clear commitment by Amtrak to find you a place to sleep while they've stuck you for multiple nights in Chicago or wherever, AND no assurance of a sleeper ticket when they finally do get you on another train. ☹

Already posted in an Empire Builder thread, but probably ought to have been posted here instead:

I'm finding it hard to imagine why anyone would book an expensive sleeper ticket with a connection involving 3/week scheduling requiring a more-than-one-day layover if the connection is missed, plus Amtrak's recent history of so many missed connections, plus no clear commitment by Amtrak to find you a place to sleep while they've stuck you for multiple nights in Chicago or wherever, AND no assurance of a sleeper ticket when they finally do get you on another train. ☹
Point well made... but it seems to be quite clear that Amtrak doesn't even care to have a plan for missed connects... it is always up to the station manager... and the only posted guarantee is that they will get you to your destinations. Technically then, they don't have to give you a sleeper if one is not available, and sleeping arrangements are on the traveler, not Amtrak.

Any kind of travel involves risks; Amtrak is notorious for inconsistencies and inconveniences without compensation. :rolleyes: :confused:

20th Century Rider wrote: It was my dream of dreams to hike the Appalachian Trail... so long ago when I was young and skinny... but never got to it. What an adventure that would have been... but have done a lot of traveling and hiking in my life... so no regrets. BTW I'll bet you were always glad to get to a hot shower while on the trail!

When I daydream about the beauty of such a hike, I like to listen to Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring... first became familiar with in 7th Grade music appreciation class... yup... this trail has alway been in my fantasy imagination!

It's a life changing experience. I've met people in their 80s on the AT; a few make it all the way.

It's not always easy (especially New Hampshire and Maine!), but if you feel like this is something that would enhance your life, at least do a deep dive into what it's all about from the perspective of those doing it. YouTube is full of day-by-day video journals. One in 2020, this year extra trying due to the pandemic, is titled "Campfire Confidential." It is about an older couple going the distance!

I did not do a thru-hike (the whole trail within a calendar year) but rather section hikes (smaller journeys, in my case over eight years). I started in 1996 when I was 45, ended in 2003 (skipped 2002) at age 53. It was the best, perhaps only, way for me to complete the AT.

To keep this train-related many new hikers take the Crescent to Atlanta or Gainesville, then shuttle to the southern terminus at Springer Mt. There is also an Appalachian Trail stop right on the trail in rural New York State, and several other places like Harpers Ferry WV where Amtrak intersects or is routed close to the AT.

Last edited:
20th Century Rider wrote: It was my dream of dreams to hike the Appalachian Trail... so long ago when I was young and skinny... but never got to it. What an adventure that would have been... but have done a lot of traveling and hiking in my life... so no regrets. BTW I'll bet you were always glad to get to a hot shower while on the trail!

When I daydream about the beauty of such a hike, I like to listen to Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring... first became familiar with in 7th Grade music appreciation class... yup... this trail has alway been in my fantasy imagination!

It's a life changing experience. I've met people in their 80s on the AT; a few make it all the way.

It's not always easy (especially New Hampshire and Maine!), but if you feel like this is something that would enhance your life, at least do a deep dive into what it's all about from the perspective of those doing it. YouTube is full of day-by-day video journals. One in 2020, this year extra trying due to the pandemic, is titled "Campfire Confidential." It is about an older couple going the distance!

I did not do a thru-hike (the whole trail within a calendar year) but rather section hikes (smaller journeys, in my case over eight years). I started in 1996 when I was 45, ended in 2003 (skipped 2002) at age 53. It was the best, perhaps only, way for me to complete the AT.

To keep this train-related many new hikers take the Crescent to Atlanta or Gainesville, then shuttle to the southern terminus at Springer Mt. There is also an Appalachian Trail stop right on the trail in rural New York State, and several other places like Harpers Ferry WV where Amtrak intersects or is routed close to the AT.
Cool point of view! Never say never... your words do have meaning for me! ;) 🤠

Back