CONO Meal Times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinPhil

Train Attendant
Hello, I'm wondering if they serve Dinner on 59 Southbound after leaving Chicago and do they serve Lunch prior to arrival in New Orleans? Thanks.

Hello, I'm wondering if they serve Dinner on 59 Southbound after leaving Chicago and do they serve Lunch prior to arrival in New Orleans? Thanks.
Yes to both, but the " food" is nothing to write home about.

You'd probably be better off to eat an early Supper in Chicago, and take some snacks and drinks with you since the train doesn't leave CHI until 800pm.

Yes to both, but the " food" is nothing to write home about.

You'd probably be better off to eat an early Supper in Chicago, and take some snacks and drinks with you since the train doesn't leave CHI until 800pm.

Ok, and I'm guessing its a very short service? Do you know when it ends? Thanks

Ok, and I'm guessing its a very short service? Do you know when it ends? Thanks
Yep, theres usually only 1 serving leaving Chicago that Late,( sometimes you start eating before the train even leaves) and a " quickie" early Supper going into the swamps of Mississippi/ Louisiana.

Since New Orleans has World Class Food, I'd suggest eating Dinner when you get there!

The “dining car” options, are only available for sleeping car passengers now. So if you are traveling in coach, you will only be able to order from the cafe car menu.

If you are in a sleeper, you will be able to choose from the “flex dining” menu- which are tv-dinner quality served in plastic bowls. You’ll also get a 1 free drink from the bar, and unlimited soft drinks / bottled water. So if you have dinner in Chicago (recommended) you can plan on having a drink on the train at least.

Back