CONO New Orleans Turn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Last part of May/first part of June I will ride the CONO from CHI to NOL and back, one night in NOL. Got the low buckets all the way for a roomette down and back.

This will be a new route for me and even though I have been reading lots of old threads and trip reports, some questions for all you gurus.

The day I board in Chicago, what time should I be in the lounge to be boarded with the sleeper car folks? I just read in a trip report that said 7:15. Is that normal or should I be there even earlier to make sure?

I know I will receive dinner in the CCC car. Is it by reservation? Will I have a choice of times for that first meal?

What is the normal consist for the CONO now? Are there two sleeper cars and are they up front?

Going both south and north it looks like there is time to get off to do a leg stretch in Memphis. Anything to see with the station? Worth going inside for a look or should I stay close to the train?

Southbound may I assume we will have lunch served before arrival in NOL?

And, northbound, breakfast served before arrival in CHI?

I am staying at a hotel right on the streetcar line in downtown NOL. My plan is to ride it end to end before the afternoon I reboard the train for the trip north. Is that a safe ride? When it gets to the end can I stay on and ride back (realize I may have to pay another fare) or is there one waiting there to come back after the first one arrives?

I am having diner with a forum member the one night in NOL and will be looking forward to that. It will also be my birthday, so what a present, to be riding trains for several days.

Lastly, what time should I be at the NOL station for sleeper boarding?

Thanks for all your help.

Tom

I am staying at a hotel right on the streetcar line in downtown NOL. My plan is to ride it end to end before the afternoon I reboard the train for the trip north. Is that a safe ride? When it gets to the end can I stay on and ride back (realize I may have to pay another fare) or is there one waiting there to come back after the first one arrives?
yes, it is a safe ride, you can get back on right at the end of the line, and yes you do have to pay another fare ($1.25) and it returns back to canal st

The last times I rode it south they were taking reservations for dinner in the First Class Lounge when you checked in. I personally don't care to normally eat in the Tunnel so I wait till the train get going to go to the diner and eat. That would mean a reservation for after 8:00 at least. The sleepers are up front as on most trains and not sure how many are currently operating. One is a combination Crew car and overflow roomettes and the second is a full sleeper normally. When we go north we get on around 4 am and at 6:30 or so they usually start serving breakfast.

Last part of May/first part of June I will ride the CONO from CHI to NOL and back, one night in NOL. Got the low buckets all the way for a roomette down and back.
This will be a new route for me and even though I have been reading lots of old threads and trip reports, some questions for all you gurus.

The day I board in Chicago, what time should I be in the lounge to be boarded with the sleeper car folks? I just read in a trip report that said 7:15. Is that normal or should I be there even earlier to make sure?

I know I will receive dinner in the CCC car. Is it by reservation? Will I have a choice of times for that first meal?

What is the normal consist for the CONO now? Are there two sleeper cars and are they up front?

Going both south and north it looks like there is time to get off to do a leg stretch in Memphis. Anything to see with the station? Worth going inside for a look or should I stay close to the train?

I am having diner with a forum member the one night in NOL and will be looking forward to that. It will also be my birthday, so what a present, to be riding trains for several days.

Tom
Tom,

We did that trip last May. I wish I would have taken more notes. I believe we had two sleepers one way, and a sleeper and a trans dorm the other way, which were both up front.

If I recall correctly, we were served a ''lite'' breakfast before we arrived in Chi.

I think we got to the Metropolitan lounge about 90 mins, before departure, there weren't many people at that time of day and there were quite a few seats in the lounge.

I would advise getting to the NOL station plenty because the Magnolia Room is fairly small, and fills up quickly.

You did the same thing as us, not enough time in New Oreleans, too much to see. A good reason to take the trip again!

By the way, we rode the street cars, a great way to see the city.

Have fun and keep us informed!

GregL

I have intended to take that very trip. If I may ask, at what motel are you staying?

Tom
Tom,

I live in South Louisiana and take this train to Chicago and back for a quick trip about once a month. It is a great ride through America's Heartland and the route is particularly scenic especially through southern Mississippi and Louisiana. Also, northbound, I would recommend waking up early to see a beautiful sunrise over the central Illinois farmlands.

1. In Chicago, I would recommend that you get to the Lounge by 6:45pm. They now try to board the sleeper passengers for the CONO at 7:00pm for dinner. They no longer take reservations. They will seat all sleeper passengers requiring dinner immediately after boarding. Coach passengers must order food on the cafe side of the car.

2. The normal consist for the CONO is as follows: P42, Trans Dorm, Sleeper, CCC, Coach-Baggage, 1-2 Coaches.

3. Both northbound and southbound, the train will be in Memphis for 40-50 minutes if it's on time. You will have time to walk into the station if you would like. Also, there is a walkway on the upper (track) level that allows for great views of downtown and photo ops of the Memphis Trolley.

4. Lunch will be served on the southbound CONO. However, the CCC usually closes after Hammond, LA to prepare for the arrival into New Orleans. They usually will serve lunch starting around 11:30 and ending at approximately 1:30.

5. Once again, yes, breakfast will be served northbound. Breakfast service is shortened though due to the early arrival into Chicago. It will begin around 6:00am and will be served until 7:30am. They will stop serving breakfast completely and close the CCC at Homewood, IL.

6. The St. Charles Streetcar is a safe ride. The route is approximately 10 miles one-way. Allow 2 1/2 hours to complete the ride. At the end of the line, you will have to step off of the streetcar briefly while the operator changes the direction of the seats and the trolley poles. The fee is $1.25 each way. Sometimes there will be another streetcar at the end of the line waiting to return to downtown. Also, when you are ready to board the St. Charles Line, walk one block towards the river to St. Charles Ave. to catch the streetcar traveling outbound. If you board in front of your hotel on Carondelet, you will have to get off again and repay only a few blocks away at Canal St (end of the line downtown).

7. Travelling northbound, I would recommend that you arrive at the Magnolia Lounge at least one hour early as the lounge is small and fills up quickly. They will board the sleeper passengers approximately 20-30 minutes before departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,
I live in South Louisiana and take this train to Chicago and back for a quick trip about once a month. It is a great ride through America's Heartland and the route is particularly scenic especially through southern Mississippi and Louisiana. Also, northbound, I would recommend waking up early to see a beautiful sunrise over the central Illinois farmlands.

1. In Chicago, I would recommend that you get to the Lounge by 6:45pm. They now try to board the sleeper passengers for the CONO at 7:00pm for dinner. They no longer take reservations. They will seat all sleeper passengers requiring dinner immediately after boarding. Coach passengers must order food on the cafe side of the car.

2. The normal consist for the CONO is as follows: P42, Trans Dorm, Sleeper, CCC, Coach-Baggage, 1-2 Coaches.

3. Both northbound and southbound, the train will be in Memphis for 40-50 minutes if it's on time. You will have time to walk into the station if you would like. Also, there is a walkway on the upper (track) level that allows for great views of downtown and photo ops of the Memphis Trolley.

4. Lunch will be served on the southbound CONO. However, the CCC usually closes after Hammond, LA to prepare for the arrival into New Orleans. They usually will serve lunch starting around 11:30 and ending at approximately 1:30.

5. Once again, yes, breakfast will be served northbound. Breakfast service is shortened though due to the early arrival into Chicago. It will begin around 6:00am and will be served until 7:30am. They will stop serving breakfast completely and close the CCC at Homewood, IL.

6. The St. Charles Streetcar is a safe ride. The route is approximately 10 miles one-way. Allow 2 1/2 hours to complete the ride. At the end of the line, you will have to step off of the streetcar briefly while the operator changes the direction of the seats and the trolley poles. The fee is $1.25 each way. Sometimes there will be another streetcar at the end of the line waiting to return to downtown. Also, when you are ready to board the St. Charles Line, walk one block towards the river to St. Charles Ave. to catch the streetcar traveling outbound. If you board in front of your hotel on Carondelet, you will have to get off again and repay only a few blocks away at Canal St (end of the line downtown).

7. Travelling northbound, I would recommend that you arrive at the Magnolia Lounge at least one hour early as the lounge is small and fills up quickly. They will board the sleeper passengers approximately 20-30 minutes before departure.
Thanks for the reply and to the several others with ideas, too.

I'm looking forward to the trip.

Tom
I was taking # 48 back to Buffalo on Thursday, April 9,2009 and was on the platform taking notes and got # 59's consist. Here it is:

P42# 117,Trans/Dorm/Seeper #39027, Sleeper #32030, Diner/lounge #37011, Coach/Baggage #31011, Coach #34020, Coach #34075.Hope this answers the consist question! :)

I was taking # 48 back to Buffalo on Thursday, April 9,2009 and was on the platform taking notes and got # 59's consist. Here it is:p42# 117,Trans/Dorm/Seeper #39027, Sleeper #32030, Diner/lounge #37011, Coach/Baggage #31011, Coach #34020, Coach #34075.

Hope this answers the consist question! :)
Thanks!!

Tom,

I just did this trip. I went from Chicago to New Orlenas on April 8, 09 and returned to Chicago on April 10th.

The lady at the counter told me to be back by 7:15pm...we boarded shortly after.

You will not make a reservation for dinner in the Metropolitan lounge. Once you board the train they tell you to go to the Cross Country Cafe right away for dinner.

Yes there were two sleepers...one transition sleeper and the regular sleeper and they were right behind the two engines.

Southbound, we got to Memphis at 5:30am and were there until 7:05am. The station is beautiful and the area near the station had many new condos and apartments. It is very nice. One guy from our train said he walked down to the river. (they told us the delay is track work near Jackson MS)

Yes lunch is served before arrival in New Orleans

Breakfast northbound opens 1/2 hour early (6:00am) for breakfast we arrived early to chicago (8:30am)

I also stayed at a hotel on the St Charles line. (hotel was on Lee's Circle) I only rode the Street car to Tulane University. I know going the other way towards Canal Street they make everyone get off. They probably will do that on the other end too.

I also had dinner on Bourbon Street. Embers Steakhouse..Food was great. Had Crawlfish, Catfish, Sausage, Red Beans and Rice and a Hurricane. Food was great...a little pricey

Don't get to the New Orleans station too early. The Magnolia Room (1st Class lounge) is nothing to write home about. Seat in general waiting room are just as comfortable. We got on the train at 1:15pm for the 1:45 train. I would not get there too early. Eat lunch though, there is no lunch served on the northbound train. I bought a Subway sandwich and took it on the train. (Subway is in the station)

My trip on the CONO was great. I want to do it again sometime soon

Tom,
I just did this trip. I went from Chicago to New Orlenas on April 8, 09 and returned to Chicago on April 10th.

The lady at the counter told me to be back by 7:15pm...we boarded shortly after.

You will not make a reservation for dinner in the Metropolitan lounge. Once you board the train they tell you to go to the Cross Country Cafe right away for dinner.

Yes there were two sleepers...one transition sleeper and the regular sleeper and they were right behind the two engines.

Southbound, we got to Memphis at 5:30am and were there until 7:05am. The station is beautiful and the area near the station had many new condos and apartments. It is very nice. One guy from our train said he walked down to the river. (they told us the delay is track work near Jackson MS)

Yes lunch is served before arrival in New Orleans

Breakfast northbound opens 1/2 hour early (6:00am) for breakfast we arrived early to chicago (8:30am)

I also stayed at a hotel on the St Charles line. (hotel was on Lee's Circle) I only rode the Street car to Tulane University. I know going the other way towards Canal Street they make everyone get off. They probably will do that on the other end too.

I also had dinner on Bourbon Street. Embers Steakhouse..Food was great. Had Crawlfish, Catfish, Sausage, Red Beans and Rice and a Hurricane. Food was great...a little pricey

Don't get to the New Orleans station too early. The Magnolia Room (1st Class lounge) is nothing to write home about. Seat in general waiting room are just as comfortable. We got on the train at 1:15pm for the 1:45 train. I would not get there too early. Eat lunch though, there is no lunch served on the northbound train. I bought a Subway sandwich and took it on the train. (Subway is in the station)

My trip on the CONO was great. I want to do it again sometime soon
THANKS!!

yes, it is a safe ride, you can get back on right at the end of the line, and yes you do have to pay another fare ($1.25) and it returns back to canal st
Here is the NORTA link: http://www.norta.com/fares/

You can buy a visatour pass for $5 that is good for the day. That way you can get on and off as you please without having to pay another fare. Last time I was there you could buy them on the streetcar or at some hotels. The Canal street line now goes to the French Quarter along the river if you want to go there. Depends on how much time you have. And yes, it's completely safe to ride anywhere. I like to take night rides too when I am there.

Here is the NORTA link: http://www.norta.com/fares/

You can buy a visitor pass for $5 that is good for the day. That way you can get on and off as you please without having to pay another fare. Last time I was there you could buy them on the streetcar or at some hotels. The Canal street line now goes to the French Quarter along the river if you want to go there. Depends on how much time you have. And yes, it's completely safe to ride anywhere. I like to take night rides too when I am there.
Thanks - that helps.

A general question for those who know CUS well - anyone know what time the Lounge opens in the AM? The Sunday I leave for NOL I find I will need to be in the station by 8:00 AM and would like to leave my luggage in the check room as I have other activities planned for the day.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back