Consequences of missing second leg of one-way ticket?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
If I booked a ticket Chicago to Philadelphia, on the Capitol Limited to DC and transferring to the Northeast Regional in DC to Philly, are there any consequences if my travel plans change and I simply don't get on the transfer in DC? Presuming no checked baggage and no implications for a return trip.

If I booked a ticket Chicago to Philadelphia, on the Capitol Limited to DC and transferring to the Northeast Regional in DC to Philly, are there any consequences if my travel plans change and I simply don't get on the transfer in DC? Presuming no checked baggage and no implications for a return trip.
You are just giving Amtrak some $$$ , you'll be a "No Show"on the Regional, but why not just Cancel the DC-PHL part of your trip, and receive a Partial Refund???( you'll pay a small Cancellation fee)

If you have not begun the first leg of the journey yet, why not just call up Amtrak or go online and change the reservation? Even though there may or may not be a penalty for the change, I'd rather spend $10 penalty than throw away $100 leg of a trip.

If you were already on the first leg, simply do the same thing call Amtrak and change the reservation to suit what you're doing. I've done that more than once and had no penalties or anything else. The same would be true if you go into the station upon arrival at the at the end of the first leg and speak to the clerk or call Amtrak.

The problem is a missing leg of any trip constitutes a no-show which then results in a cancellation of all that follows it on that reservation I repeat all that follows it will be canceled. And you will be out the money for all of them.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. While I understand I could change a CHI-PHL reservation to CHI-WAS, with the Capitol Limited sell-outs, it would cost me more to modify my ticket late in the game than to just skip the final leg.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. While I understand I could change a CHI-PHL reservation to CHI-WAS, with the Capitol Limited sell-outs, it would cost me more to modify my ticket late in the game than to just skip the final leg.
You might consider "killing" the WAS-PHL leg when you get to DC? (And of course, I think it's worth noting that if the Cap is late and your connection gets blown, you should be able to get a refund in full...as that's on Amtrak, not you.)

Back