Converted railroad depot apartments in Corvallis, Oregon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew H Fish

Lead Service Attendant
I am guessing this is the proper forum for this:

This is the Corvallis Depot Suites, an extended stay (over one month) hotel for people in Corvallis Oregon. It was at one time the depot for a minor railroad that mostly served to haul freight between the coast and Albany, Oregon, which is where the main north/south railroad is located.
It looks like it is an interesting place on the outside, and the pictures I've seen of the rooms are also nice. But I am guessing it is not cheap, and I don't know how many people have a reason to spend a month or more in Corvallis.

I am guessing this is the proper forum for this:

This is the Corvallis Depot Suites, an extended stay (over one month) hotel for people in Corvallis Oregon. It was at one time the depot for a minor railroad that mostly served to haul freight between the coast and Albany, Oregon, which is where the main north/south railroad is located.
It looks like it is an interesting place on the outside, and the pictures I've seen of the rooms are also nice. But I am guessing it is not cheap, and I don't know how many people have a reason to spend a month or more in Corvallis.

I think that OSU generates consulting work, so this could be useful for a project employee. Early in the 20th Century the SP ran excursions to the Coast on this line, but it was handicapped by not reaching Newport. There was a ferry connection. This photo shows about where the line ended, looking toward the sea.
1975 034.jpg

I think that OSU generates consulting work, so this could be useful for a project employee. Early in the 20th Century the SP ran excursions to the Coast on this line, but it was handicapped by not reaching Newport. There was a ferry connection. This photo shows about where the line ended, looking toward the sea.
View attachment 31279

Yes, I was imagining that the target audience might be researchers or visiting professors who were going to be in OSU for a quarter or so.
From what I read, one of the things the line promised was a cheaper route eastward, through the Cascades (I think going up the North Fork of the Santiam river), but that it wasn't technically feasible, so the owners raised a lot of money in stock speculation, either out of overoptimism or just plain fraud, but what was left was a freight railroad from Toledo to Corvallis.

Yes, I was imagining that the target audience might be researchers or visiting professors who were going to be in OSU for a quarter or so.
From what I read, one of the things the line promised was a cheaper route eastward, through the Cascades (I think going up the North Fork of the Santiam river), but that it wasn't technically feasible, so the owners raised a lot of money in stock speculation, either out of overoptimism or just plain fraud, but what was left was a freight railroad from Toledo to Corvallis.
That's the Oregon Central project, variations of which were proposed by several entities. The SP branch up through Mill City to Idanha from Albany was a part of it and the UP branch to Burns was likely a part of it. We kicked it around as a concept for the Oregon Transportation Plan in 1975, until work was stopped by a change in governors. It would have relieved congestion on the UP through the Columbia Gorge. I don't know what is left now of the branch segments.

Back