Converting AGR World Mastercard to AGR Platinum Mastercard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstone19

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
With the end of the first year of AGR2 and the Amtrak - Bank of America relationship approaching, I wanted to change the AGR World Mastercard (with annual fee but first year waived) to the no-annual fee AGR Platinum Mastercard. I expected a phone call was all it would take but I was wrong. The person I reached was entirely non-helpful and while he said it could be converted to a non-AGR card, converting to the AGR Platinum was not an option.

He implied I needed to apply separately for the Platinum card which I did (approved on-line immediately). Meanwhile, I've stopped using the World card and once the next statement is issued, will immediately pay it off and then request it be closed (should be mid-August) before the annual fee bills in what I expect would be September. And, I expect I can get another sign-up bonus for the new card.

Unfortunately, not everyone can get the other card that easily and some may not want to take the short-term credit score hit. Really, a short-sighted policy by BofA but after 35 years as a BofA (the original California BofA, not today's pale imitation) customer (secondary checking account), I'm not surprised.

Shortsighted because you want to cheat them out of the annual fee (and the extra points you got by signing up for that card)?

OTOH, AGR2 has not been as initially advertised as people discovered that "no blackouts" meant days priced in points that were so expensive, they might as well be blackouts. So no, I don't feel bad about it as I'm not getting what I expected when I first applied.

OTOH, AGR2 has not been as initially advertised as people discovered that "no blackouts" meant days priced in points that were so expensive, they might as well be blackouts. So no, I don't feel bad about it as I'm not getting what I expected when I first applied.
True this!
And no tears for BOA who has soaked it to plenty of people thru the years while amassing trillions!

Changing Credit Cards and Financial Institutions is an every day occurrence, not a swindle or wrong IMO! YMMV

Shortsighted because you want to cheat them out of the annual fee (and the extra points you got by signing up for that card)?
Pretty rude! The only way one finds out if it is worth it, is to try it. I found with my card, I get double points for hotels but we like B&Bs and somehow none of them show up as travel but instead as retail so no extra points. We don't often take cruises or fly so not much of a benefit there. That just leaves Amtrak but it is a problem as I gain point but when I use them, I don't get points on that. As to the free companion seat and upgrade, that doesn't work on overnight rooms.

So for me, I'm thinking of downsizing. For my wife, who has a separate card, we are considering a hotel card that gives double points for restaurants - which is a big benefit for us.

I tried and met my obligation. I am debating the benefit of keeping or changing. BoA has the option at any time of keeping or deleting me.

How is that cheating them out of the annual fee? If they offered a promotion where the first year was free, then cancelling after the first year isn't cheating them out of anything. It's pretty common in the credit card world.
Not to mention that the first year wasn't even free, as I recall.

I will be get rid of the AGR MasterCard. If only because the interest rates, and transfer fee are higher than my other BofA product. Try to get them match interest and fee rate, best they offer was 18%. I don't think so.

Side note: When AGR converted BofA would not allow me to change a pre existing card to the AGR branded one. Had to apply for a new card.

Will be cancelling. Was late to the AGR program, early to give up.

Yep, first year wasn't free. Unlike most travel-affiliated credit cards, the AGR World Card charged its fee in the first year. Of course, unlike most travel-affiliated credit cards, AGR also offered a non-fee version, albeit with fewer benefits. Cancelling the card before the SECOND annual fee is charged cheats absolutely no one.

It's easy to understand why BOA won't let people simply convert their annual fee card to the free version. Make it hard to switch and obviously fewer people will do it. Much easier for customers to simply go with the status quo than cancel a card and fill out a new application.

I ended up applying for both cards when they were introduced and earned the bonuses associated with both. Now I only use the World MasterCard for all the extra points, etc. I have put away the Platinum card so I will not accidentally use it. As far as AGR 2 points I just booked a points trip Crescent New Orleans to Washington, DC connecting to the Capitol Limited Washington, DC to Chicago and then connecting to my favorite the California Zephyr Chicago to Emeryville, CA for 46,000 points all in roomettes. Why this route, I have never ridden the Crescent or Capitol Limited so I'm going for the fun of it. All of this is April 2017. I am paying for return trip on California Zephyr connecting to Capitol Limited Chicago to Washington and staying there a few days before flying home to Nashville.

AGR 2 may require more points but is much better than points US Air(disguised as American) who requires 45,000 mile points for flights I use to take for 25,000 frequent flyer miles. Only flights it seems available at the old price points are overnight flights. Should you say I am not a fan of the New American management. Yes, you should.

Back