Cooking gas cylinder explosion on Pakistan train kills at least 65

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
As someone who has gone camping/backpacking, I've researched how to do this sort of thing although I usually drive. I thought of maybe taking the Amtrak train/bus combo to Yosemite, and at least on the rail leg they don't allow flammable gas canisters/cylinders. A lot of people who go on backpacking trips have to buy their gas near the destination and then find someone to accept the partially used gas before returning.

I know plenty of people from South Asia and as a train geek I've asked about all these stereotypes of trains there including riding on the roof, cattle call boarding, and cooking on the train. They tell me that it's all true to some extent, but all these things violate the rules but are tolerated to a degree.

Also - I'm kind of surprised that it exploded. I've personally only purchased single-use cylinders/cartridges. There's often a warning that it's illegal to transport a refilled canister that's not designed for it. It wouldn't surprise me if this explosion occurred with a refilled cylinder.

Back