Cost Effective Roomette for a trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I would like to take a round trip on Amtrak, preferably for 1-2 weeks. We live in the panhandle of Florida, near Pensacola, FL, however the closest stations to us are in New Orleans, LA or in Birmingham, AL. Both of which aren’t issues getting to. We are open to other suggestions on departing cities as well.

ultimately, we are looking for a budget friendly trip that offers some scenic views. It would be nice to either have a roomette or bedroom, however, I fear that regardless of the line/destination/reservation dates and booking in advance, that a roomette or bedroom will make the cost out of our budget. If this is the case, as I suspect, what options as far as cars outside of the coach car would be available to be in? Is the dining room car available only for paying guests? Or more specifically is the dining car open during non food serving hours and/or other cars like a viewing room be available for coach passengers? Is access typically limited to daytime hours? Sometimes I do get restless, so trying to know as much as possible.

We are really open to just about any suggestions And timeframes, although it would be nice to travel the last week in November.

if this post is not allowed please forgive me and feel free to delete, or point me to a more appropriate place.Thank you for your help and for having me in the group to learn from all of you!

I have found that the City of New Orleans (to Chicago) has some of the cheapest bedroom prices out there. The downside is that the scenery is not as great as on some of the western routes. Chicago is a great city, though.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget?

Also, what's your tolerance for goofiness? Would you be willing to detrain in San Antonio at 12:45 AM waiting for another 2 AM train if it saves you $300?

Do you mind going between Coach and a Roomette?

Do you mind an overnight in Chicago? Denver? LA? Reno? Somewhere totally random?

The Dining Room Car is currently only for Sleeping Car passengers. At peak times the observation car can get noisy/rowdy and if you get up from your seat, someone else will probably take it. During Winter months in COVID this is probably different, but just something to be wary of.

Last edited:
You might look at the "Amtrak Rail Pass" options to see if that would help with ticket prices - however, roomettes and bedroom are extra, not included in the Rail Pass.

Welcome to the forum!
If you book a coach seat, you are entitled to use the observation car where available, not all trains have a viewing car, and as mentioned it is a first come first seated policy there. You can visit the café car also. The observation car has a range of seats and tables. In "normal" times, coach passengers could have meals in the dining car, but with Covid-19 and changes in meal options, that seems to no longer be available to coach passengers. Folk were not allowed to "hang out" in the dining car outside of meal times anyway, the observation/lounge car is for that.
If you can provide either a budget, or some hints as to your interests, folk here will no doubt be keen to help you plan a trip. Do you want to be on the train 24/7 or do you anticipate spending time in hotels en-route?

thanks for the information caravanman! So if I understand correctly, coach passengers can’t use the dining car, only the roomette and Private bedroom passengers? Does this mean that we would need to bring our own food or that we would eat in our regular coach seats, if we went the coach route?

I’m trying to keep the budget at around 500-$700 and we hope to stay on the train 24x7 thus eliminating the additional expense of a hotel(s) (with the possible exception of a de-train opportunity, if one should arise to do a quick run as I suspect this would be the only opportunity to do any kind of workout

I have found that the City of New Orleans (to Chicago) has some of the cheapest bedroom prices out there. The downside is that the scenery is not as great as on some of the western routes. Chicago is a great city, though.
Agreed 100% I’m a Chicago native, but I have no idea what Chicago is like these days! And thanks for the New Orleans tip, I see you are quite correct. It looks like we could do it for about $1,000 which is reasonable, albeit a bit higher than we wanted to spend. Does food service come with the room?

Also, experiment on your own using AMSNAG:

https://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php
If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget?

Also, what's your tolerance for goofiness? Would you be willing to detrain in San Antonio at 12:45 AM waiting for another 2 AM train if it saves you $300?

Do you mind going between Coach and a Roomette?

Do you mind an overnight in Chicago? Denver? LA? Reno? Somewhere totally random?

The Dining Room Car is currently only for Sleeping Car passengers. At peak times the observation car can get noisy/rowdy and if you get up from your seat, someone else will probably take it. During Winter months in COVID this is probably different, but just something to be wary of.
We would totally be willing to de train, especially for savings. We are both pretty adaptable and looking for an adventure! I’m not sure what you mean by between a coach and roomette? My understanding was the order was coach, roomette and Private bedroom, so maybe you could help me understand a bit more, sorry!

as far as an overnight yes we would be open to
It , but ultimately since our budget is relatively low, $500-$700, I’m not sure it would work

Thank you for the helpful information!!

Here is the information on the Rail Pass
1597710472658.png

These prices are "per person" and a "segment" is each time you change trains (the picture is a link to the Amtrak Rail Pass page)

Keep in mind that if you ride coach for several days - there are NO shower facilities for coach passengers.

Prior to C-19 you could eat your meals at the tables in the café car or at your seat ... as I understand it - currently the tables are closed and you will eat at your seat.

We would totally be willing to de train, especially for savings. We are both pretty adaptable and looking for an adventure! I’m not sure what you mean by between a coach and roomette? My understanding was the order was coach, roomette and Private bedroom, so maybe you could help me understand a bit more, sorry!

It , but ultimately since our budget is relatively low, $500-$700, I’m not sure it would work

Thank you for the helpful information!!

I honestly don’t think you’re going to find much of any trip, in even a roomette for $500-700 for two One way, much less round trip. I’m in PA now, booked BHM-PHL round trip for $808 for a roomette for one.

Coach kinda sucks more then usual right now. No more diner, and on Eastern trains you can’t even use the lounge/cafe car, you can only buy your stuff, and go back to your seat or room. On Western trains, we WERE allowed to sit in the upstairs part of the lounge car, and sleeper passengers could choose to eat in the diner, or in the room.

I just got off the Crescent, BHM-PHL and there IS no diner now. Just the cafe car, and meals had to be delivered to the room. Kinda sucks. At least with a room, you don’t have to wear a mask 24/7 like in coach.

Honestly? Save your money, and try again next year. It’s not much fun traveling right now. I wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t business travel. And this will be my last, by rail, until this is all over, if and when, things go back to a decent level of service. Honestly considering cancelling my return, and just flying home direct.

Last edited:
I'm sure Nick Farr will elaborate more on his suggestion, but more than likely when he mentioned going between coach seats and roomette is the practice of booking coach seats for a portion of the trip, say New Orleans to San Antonio in coach, then moving into a sleeper in San Antonio or the station before onward. I look into this from time to time when rooms for the entire trip don't fit into my budget. I will say most of the time I end up booking a room the entire trip because the savings don't seem worth it. Your meals would only be included if you are booked in the room during meal times which do vary with crews and other circumstances.

There's nothing to prevent you from booking from coach to sleeper then back to coach at any station but iirc each segment would be a separate reservation. And of course theoretically you would have to de-train and re board anytime you switched and have to vacate the accommodations completely each time. This can be booked on any train afaik but again would be a separate reservation when you change accommodations.

If you were to book a trip from New Orleans to say Los Angeles you could have the choice of booking all the way through to Los Angeles on Train #1 Sunset Limited on the same car, either coach or room, or booking to San Antonio On Train #1 Sunset Limited in one type accommodation then changing to Train # 421 Texas Eagle in the same or different accommodation. If you were to switch to #421 you would be required to de-train during the layover in San Antonio 12:05 am to 2:45 am roughly when all is on schedule. If you book the Sunset Limited through past San Antonio you can choose to de-train or stay on board during layover. #1 and # 421 become "one Train" west of San Antonio

Second Nick Farr again on Amsnag, do you research there it's much easier to learn and compare the differences than on Amtrak website

Food is available in the lounge/observation car, similar to fast/ convenience store food but a little higher priced. I like to snack so we bring snacks and drinks too.

Do a search for fare buckets here so you can get a feel for the low and high end of fares on Amtrak. There is a member here,I apologize cant remember his name, has a picture of his research chart that is fairly close to current pricing on all accommodations.

For the past two years my wife and I have planned a trip. Last year we had to cancel due to a hurricane - this year due to COVID

We will just save our money and see what next year brings. Maybe by then we can afford a sleeper

Staying in a Roomette for 1 week for two people and spending $700 or less will be impossible. Simply impossible.

Coach Saver Fares for two on a round-robin trip from New Orleans to Chicago to Charlottesville VA and back to New Orleans would cost $626 but you'd only be aboard the train for 3 days. Coach Saver fares for two from New Orleans to Los Angeles to Seattle to Chicago to New York City and back to New Orleans would be a 7 to 8 day trip, but the cost would be more than $1,200!

Here's a link to a chart showing the fare levels (buckets, as they're known here) for the whole route of all the long distance trains: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets) While the fares for sleepers have risen about 7% since the most recent chart was posted, the Coach fares haven't changed.

Planning such a trip can be a real challenge for the uninitiated and schedules for each train are crucial to avoid the cost of lodging between trains. Here's a link to the most recent Amtrak schedules: Train Schedules & Timetables | Amtrak

Lotsa luck!!

I don't mind coach during the day but I have to have a roomette at night. One positive now is that you are guaranteed two seats to yourself,so overnight in coach is a lot more tolerable. Nothing is more awkward and uncomfortable than sharing a seat with a stranger on overnights.

I'll be traveling from Chicago to Springfield Ma. next month. If I booked a roomette for the entire trip it would have cost about $350. By booking a room to Erie Pa,which arrives around 7 AM and taking Coach the remainder of the trip Im saving about $100. With the blah food offerings I'm not missing anything. Check amsnag or type in various dates. Sleeper prices are high to begin with at low bucket. I will never pay more than that.

Among the many other possibilities is New Orleans to Chicago in Coach (Saver Fare) and Chicago to New Orleans in a Low Bucket Roomette for $714. But that's only a 2 day trip to & fro on the same train. However you do get to mess around in the Windy City for 10 hours!

Be aware of the proposed route service reductions mentioned in Post #318 here: Amtrak Service Reductions

So the cheapest way around the country I found is a bit more than that this November, but you won't have to detrain or pay for meals. You might have to pay for a hotel room:

NOL (New Orleans) to SAC (Sacramento): $1,072
All of the Sunset Limited
Some of the Coast Starlight
Layover in Los Angeles
Departs on 11/2, arrives 11/4

SAC to NOL: $1,265
All the best of the California Zephyr
All of the City of New Orleans
Layover in Chicago

You might also want to call Amtrak and see if you could combine Senior and/or RPA discounts.

A couple of clarifications first... All sleeper accommodations do include meals. Sadly the "full service" dining experience is being cut back to save costs, and also now has altered due to the Covid-19 situation.
Formerly, coach passengers could eat in the diner if they paid for their meals, and subject to any spaces being available after all sleeper passengers were accommodated. Apparently this option for coach passengers has stopped at the moment.
Coach passengers formerly could buy food from the café car and eat at tables in the café or lounge car, but once gain due to Covid-19, the only option now is to take food purchased from the café back to consume at your seat.
From my perspective, I always found the diner car food to be expensive as a coach passenger, so I carried my food items aboard with me in coach, and supplemented with a hot dog and a coffee from the café car now and again. The café car menu did not appeal much to me either! One can easily bring a cool box in coach, plenty of floor space.
Sadly, I don't think your budget will allow you to enjoy much of a trip in a roomette, but if you are up for an adventure in coach seats, then you could put some rail mileage in.
For example, on Saturday 21st November, you can travel from New Orleans to Los Angeles, and then after 4 hours, another train will take you to Sacramento. Cost in coach is $203 each, one way.
My favourite scenic train is the Zephyr, and you could reach Sacramento on that departing NOL on Friday 20th Nov. via Chicago for $320 each in coach.
Ordinarily, I would recommend the 15 day coach seat railpass, and try to max out the mileage, but for first timers, It might put you off trains for life! However, if you compare the one way trip fares mentioned above, you can save by buying a pass even if you don't use all the 8 rides covered by the pass.
Although travel in these times of Covid-19 is not for me, the fact that each Amtrak coach passenger is now allocated two seats is a big bonus for sleeping when in coach...
Bon Voyage!

A couple of clarifications first... All sleeper accommodations do include meals. Sadly the "full service" dining experience is being cut back to save costs, and also now has altered due to the Covid-19 situation.
Formerly, coach passengers could eat in the diner if they paid for their meals, and subject to any spaces being available after all sleeper passengers were accommodated. Apparently this option for coach passengers has stopped at the moment.
It stopped on each and every train at the time garbage dining was implemented and has nothing to do with the virus IMHO but is the virus made its justification easier than Amtrak saying they wanted to get people used to not having dining staff so Amtrak could save money.
As soon as garbage dining was introduced last year, Amtrak kicked out the coach passengers on those trains. They through away the opportunity of making money off coach passengers who were desperate enough to buy the junk, not even allowing them to purchase it for at-seat consumption, a sign that getting rid of meals is more important than just cutting back expenses.

It is NOT "for the moment" unless one assumes the moment started nearly a year ago and there is no guarantee that it won't last as the new standard. Bad assumption.

I honestly don’t think you’re going to find much of any trip, in even a roomette for $500-700 for two One way, much less round trip. I’m in PA now, booked BHM-PHL round trip for $808 for a roomette for one.

Coach kinda sucks more then usual right now. No more diner, and on Eastern trains you can’t even use the lounge/cafe car, you can only buy your stuff, and go back to your seat or room. On Western trains, we WERE allowed to sit in the upstairs part of the lounge car, and sleeper passengers could choose to eat in the diner, or in the room.

I just got off the Crescent, BHM-PHL and there IS no diner now. Just the cafe car, and meals had to be delivered to the room. Kinda sucks. At least with a room, you don’t have to wear a mask 24/7 like in coach.

Honestly? Save your money, and try again next year. It’s not much fun traveling right now. I wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t business travel. And this will be my last, by rail, until this is all over, if and when, things go back to a decent level of service. Honestly considering cancelling my return, and just flying home direct.
I found a round trip from NOLA to Chicago for 2 in a roomette for both legs of the trip for $1050 (that does include my wife’s military discount, which I’m assuming applies only to her ticket, but it doesn’t break it down so not 100% on that but would seem to make sense if so)

Mia it true that masks must be worn at all times? That certainly would be a real bum bet to say the least

But anywhere outside of your private room it must be worn? Even while sleeping in coach? I can see how that would deter a lot of travelers

But anywhere outside of your private room it must be worn? Even while sleeping in coach? I can see how that would deter a lot of travelers

Yes. Even while sleeping in coach. They've thrown passengers off the train that refuse to comply with this. Given the train goes through pandemic hotspots and can be a vector for transmission, this is absolutely reasonable.

The secret is finding a mask you're comfortable with and getting used to wearing it.

Another thing I realized: The low bucket pricing for the sleepers may go down in the future--you might want to wait to see if the pricing gets better.

I also *strongly* recommend taking one of the Western Trains for the views. The Sunset Limited, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight and Empire Builder are all amazing trains to take for the views.

If I understand you're trip criteria correctly, you probably can find a trip in your price range, but not for the length of time you are hoping for. All things considered, food and lodging, $700 doesn't travel far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back