Cost per mile of any long distance train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
What is the best and cheapest cost per mile in a sleeper of any long distance train?
I'm coming up with the Texas Eagle or the Empire Builder but I'm really not adept at figuring out mathematically the rate.
And I'm discounting the coronavirus threat.

Well if you have time, you can always use amsnag to figure out the different sleeper buckets for each train and go from there. Mileage is published in the PDF timetables. I'd be curious to see some data myself.

And don't forget to calculate cost per mile if Amtrak gives you a conjunctive fare such as I have booked multiple times in past years...CHI-PDX on #421 & #14 or #11 & #422 the other way. I'm thinking it comes out to about a 15% total fare savings (I book a roomette) over booking each train separately. I've got that booked as part of AGR redemption in late April...if Amtrak doesn't cancel any of the 9 trains I'll be riding.

Don't know about which is the "best", but the cheapest sleeper is (as you suspected) a Roomette on the Texas Eagle at 22.1¢/mile. In contrast, the expensivest is a Bedroom on the Auto Train at 131.5¢/mile. Those figures based on non-sale fares for one adult over the entire route.

FYI, all the different sleeper fares (buckets) presently known are available here. . . Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets) . . .and as mentioned above, the route miles are available here . . . Train Schedules & Timetables | Amtrak . . .with the exception of the Silver Star. Route length for the Silver Star is 1513 miles.

Last edited:
Having nothing better to do while teleworking and on a call, I'm recreating your table and then producing a new one with cost per mile.

The links to all of the timetables on that page now only open a COVID-19 alert, so I'm having to use the latest system timetable on timetables.org for mileage. Yay.

So, uh.... Here's some data. Transcription errors probably mine. Spreadsheet available upon request for anyone wanting to check my work or not have to painfully recreate the wheel.

Probably some thoughtful analysis when I'm not brain dead. Maybe some pretty conditional formatting.

First, the transcribed table. Small mods needed:
Amtrak Buckets.png

Second, the same table, divided by route mileage:
Amtrak Per Mile.png

Edit: Darn, that's tiny. Working...

RYAN: -- Amtrak removed the link but several years ago they published that approximately $4.00 per mile was the cost of operating a passenger car. As I recall that was everything - maintenance, cleaning, fuel, loco wear and tear, etc

Back