Could Superliners run DC to Miami and/or New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be in the minority, but from a passenger standpoint, other than the SSL, which is not a gamechanger for the NY to Florida stretch, exactly what does a SL consist bring me? VL diners are fine, other than the downstairs luggage rack, VL sleepers are better, and the seats in a refurbed AM2 coach are fine. Losing all the North of WAS passengers, why would you do that?
The Amfleet lounge cars could be improved. They're not the most comfortable places to sit and hang out instead of having to be stuck in your coach seat for a 24 hour trip. But you don't need SSLs for that, just some refurbishment of the seating in the existing Amfleet lounge cars.

Recall when they ran a thru sleeper from Miami to Montreal. They switched at Washington, rather than New York.

Here's the roll-sign in Montreal.....and you can just barely see 'Miami FL' 'chalked-in' below Washington for the through sleeper. For awhile CP Rail 'Chateau' Sleepers were leased to Amtrak for the service. The same cars VIA still uses.

]

Timetable from Winter 1973-74

The Museum of Railway Timetables (timetables.org)

Viewliners are superior especially with the wheelchair-accessible bedroom. The ceilings everywhere are higher, helping reduced claustrophobia especially in the roomettes but also in the bedroom upper birth. SL roomettes all require leaving the room for even use of a sink and not infrequently negotiating the stairway as well.

Although I prefer the ride and quiet of Superliners, having almost no temperature control in the rooms is a big negative in my opinion.

Aside from that, here's another monkey wrench I just remembered...all single level eastern trains except the Cardinal are 'swappable' at Sunnyside Yard in NYC. When running 2019 summer consists, both Silvers and the Crescent trainsets could be swapped as they are identical. Other than cutting in/out a lounge car in the NY section of the Lakeshore Ltd, that trainset is fully swappable as well. Sadly, it would seem that Amtrak has finally achieved their unstated goal of 'uniformity' for LD trains with fixed consists across all routes to save money.

Back