Could Transmashholding expand to North America?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the Russian stuff I've seen has been old technology,poorly built and breaks down often with parts hard to impossible to get. YMMV
Couldn't agree more. You were correct that they sold Ladas here for a couple of years and everything you said was true - old tech, poorly built and no parts. There weren't many days in my commuting life back then that you wouldn't see one broken down roadside somewhere. I guess they were cheap though.

Couldn't agree more. You were correct that they sold Ladas here for a couple of years and everything you said was true - old tech, poorly built and no parts. There weren't many days in my commuting life back then that you wouldn't see one broken down roadside somewhere. I guess they were cheap though.
Sort of like all of the Foriegn Cars into the US when First Sold here ( including Japan,France,England,Italy and Korea)except Volvo,Saab, VW and the other German makes!

The Rooskies probably don't want to take credit for the Wonder Car YUGO. ( One had to wonder who would buy it and where it would break down. ). They were running the show back then.
I don't think the Russians had much to do with the Yugo, or even communist Yugoslavia. For those who don't remember the Cold War, look up "Tito." (as in Josip Broz, not the vodka brand made in Texas.)

The Yugo was based on an Italian Fiat which was a Piece of Junk, even before it was produced in the Soviet Block!

Except for the First Korean Cars and the Pinto , probably the worst piece of crapola ever sold as a "Car!"

The Yugo was based on an Italian Fiat which was a Piece of Junk, even before it was produced in the Soviet Block!

Except for the First Korean Cars and the Pinto , probably the worst piece of crapola ever sold as a "Car!"
Yugoslavia was not the Soviet block. Tito was communist, but went his own way.

Yes I would buy a Russian car, and durability primarily. Different nations tend to have different standards for what something has to hold up to; Russian made stuff is generally designed to be capable of handling several times the required operating specification, on the premise that all maintenance is performed by a simpleton, and the original assembly was done by a drunk.

That is not an example of my sense of humor, by the way. That really is how they are built.

Technically neither was Poland,Hungary and East Germany! Iron Curtain Countries were NOT under Soviet Control if you believe Gerald Ford in his 1976 debates with Jimmy Carter!
NOT!!!
Actually, Yugoslavia was not a member of the Warsaw Pact, and after 1948 it did not consider itself part of the "Soviet Bloc." It was communist, but Tito's version of Communism. Thus, you really can't consider it part of the "Soviet Bloc."

Fun fact: Every country outside of Russia that used to be in the Warsaw Pact (plus the Baltic states, Slovenia, and Croatia) is now a member of NATO.

Technically neither was Poland,Hungary and East Germany! Iron Curtain Countries were NOT under Soviet Control if you believe Gerald Ford in his 1976 debates with Jimmy Carter!
NOT!!!
Completely different. Those countries were in the Soviet block. Yugoslavia was not. Those countries were in the Warsaw Pact. Yugoslavia was not. Yugoslavia was a communist party, but that doesn’t mean it was in the Soviet block. And Ford was an idiot for saying that.

Back