Coupon Code

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larz356

So, I'm able to use coupon code V851 for online ticket reservation which gives me 20% off and is reflected in my ticket price. This code says that I have to be a member of a club and present my card to retrieve my ticket. My question is... if I pick up my ticket from a machine (metrolink machine) rather than from an agent, does this not bypass the having to present a club membership card? Once you print your ticket from the machine, I presume it doesn't state that your membership has to be verified on the train, no? Seems like this (printing your online reservation from a machine) is a way to bypass club discount membership verification, no?

So, I'm able to use coupon code V851 for online ticket reservation which gives me 20% off and is reflected in my ticket price. This code says that I have to be a member of a club and present my card to retrieve my ticket. My question is... if I pick up my ticket from a machine (metrolink machine) rather than from an agent, does this not bypass the having to present a club membership card? Once you print your ticket from the machine, I presume it doesn't state that your membership has to be verified on the train, no? Seems like this (printing your online reservation from a machine) is a way to bypass club discount membership verification, no?
Did you happen to get this code from Ebay? I've been wondering whether or not these actually work.

Did you happen to get this code from Ebay? I've been wondering whether or not these actually work.
Nope, not from ebay... it's a publicly available code: http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

So... would I be able to print the ticket from a machine and avoid having the agent make sure I'm actually a member of the club offering the discount?

Nope, not from ebay... it's a publicly available code: http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html

So... would I be able to print the ticket from a machine and avoid having the agent make sure I'm actually a member of the club offering the discount?
My guess is... if that statement was made by Amtrak, you'll be fine because they say alot of crap they don't intend on following through with (random bag checks for example). If it was made by the site you got it from, the machine may say something like "see agent" or "Huh??"

I use the AAA fare all the time. When I pick up my ticket at the window, the agent asks for my card to verify if I qualify. But if I pick it up at the Quik-Trak machine, the machine never asks for my AAA card! And I have NEVER been asked for my card on board!

This is a code that is good for "red hatters" travelling on the Heartland Flyer. So wear a red hat (preferably a Husker hat) and where a purple jacket. You'll look the part and you will need to act the part as well! :lol:

You've used a discount to which you are not entitled. Now you are asking whether you're going to get away with it. Please take these weights and add them to your conscience; it obviously needs more.

Don't think that, just because you don't pick up your tickets from an agent, a conductor won't toss you off the train for this. Or that you won't suffer fines or jail time. Maybe the chance is remote that any of these will happen, but are you really willing to accept the consequences?

You've used a discount to which you are not entitled. Now you are asking whether you're going to get away with it. Please take these weights and add them to your conscience; it obviously needs more.
Don't think that, just because you don't pick up your tickets from an agent, a conductor won't toss you off the train for this. Or that you won't suffer fines or jail time. Maybe the chance is remote that any of these will happen, but are you really willing to accept the consequences?
Sheesh, does every thread posted today need a response dripping with sarcasm from you? :huh:

Larz, while sechs does have a point that using a discount to which you are not entitled may not be the most ethical thing to do, what you suggest (using a QT machine) is the method that probably countless thousands of people use every day to skirt the requirements. Once you have your physical ticket, you're pretty much home free--the conductors virtually never look at the requirements and enforce any of the requirements (they probably all figure that they've already been enforced by the ticket agent...I'd almost bet that most train crew members have probably never used a QT machine and don't really even know they exist!). I always book my travel using my Student Advantage membership (it's a legitimate one that I purchased), and I have never once had a conductor question it and ask to see my Student Advantage card (even though I do carry it and could produce it on request). Granted, my rail mileage isn't terribly comparable to some of the others' totals around here, but I think even among the super-travelers here, you'd hear them say the same thing (I think the_traveler did).

However, you cannot exclude the possibility that a conductor might ask for it, and the consequences of not being able to show it could be as harsh as being put off the train at the next stop. Also, Amtrak very occasionally blocks bookings with certain codes from using the QT machines, effectively forcing you to pick up the ticket from a ticket agent (who is much more likely to require the membership card, if it applies). If you are unable to produce it, the agent may force you to rebook the fare at the current (and potentially much higher) fare bucket.

Again, though, the chances of either happening are so slim as to be virtually zero.

Can you book on the internet for this code, or must you call?

While Amtrak might not check when you pick up, they might check when you make your reservations. For example, ask for your membership ID.

Once you have your physical ticket, you're pretty much home free--...
Well, Amtrak could very well pass the names of everyone who uses the discount, onto the group for membership verification. Unlike bus tickets, Amtrak knows your name and address. Plus, I am sure that Amtrak would not think twice about pressing fraud charges, being the bueraucracy they are. It could be months later that the knock on your door comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Amtrak could very well pass the names of everyone who uses the discount, onto the group for membership verification. Unlike bus tickets, Amtrak knows your name and address. Plus, I am sure that Amtrak would not think twice about pressing fraud charges, being the bueraucracy they are. It could be months later that the knock on your door comes.
They could, but I'd be willing to lay money that they never have. And it's not a 100% true statement that Amtrak always knows your name and address: I believe it is still possible to buy a ticket in cash with no ID, though you'd have to do it in person (which would preclude hiding from a person to sneak past with an invalid discount). But if it's possible to buy a ticket without them knowing your address, I highly doubt they have procedures in place that rely on knowing your address, since they wouldn't apply equally to everyone.

"thousands of people use every day to skirt the requirements"

...aka known as theft of services... and something your parents probably warned you not to do.

For pete's sake, do the right thing and show some integrity. This forum has an interest in the longevity of Amtrak. Scamming it for vouchers or discounts is not in the interest of the long term survival of Amtrak. If you want a discount, join an organization, go to a convention that is working with Amtrak or serve in the military and get one, the honest way.

Questions of morality aside, most coupon codes from Amtrak require that you pick the ticket up from a window; Quik-Trak machines will not dispense these tickets and will spit out an error stating that you need to pick these up from a ticket agent. Student Advantage, AAA, Senior discounts, etc, are generally fine to pick up from machines, but the coupon codes are generally another matter. There are exceptions where you can get the tickets from the machine (the buy one, get one half off deals that pop up periodically in Arrive come to mind), but buyer beware—no guarantees. You can't fault Amtrak; they were bit hard by a leaked 25% off code about two years ago.

-Rafi

Rafi,

It's not just a question of "morality". It's a question of "legality". Unfortunately, when morality fails, legality kicks in.

And it's not a 100% true statement that Amtrak always knows your name and address: I believe it is still possible to buy a ticket in cash with no ID, though you'd have to do it in person (which would preclude hiding from a person to sneak past with an invalid discount).
Is it true that the Amtrak ticket window doesn't ask to see ID when buying a ticket with cash?

Questions of morality aside, most coupon codes from Amtrak require that you pick the ticket up from a window; Quik-Trak machines will not dispense these tickets and will spit out an error stating that you need to pick these up from a ticket agent. Student Advantage, AAA, Senior discounts, etc, are generally fine to pick up from machines, but the coupon codes are generally another matter. There are exceptions where you can get the tickets from the machine (the buy one, get one half off deals that pop up periodically in Arrive come to mind), but buyer beware—no guarantees. You can't fault Amtrak; they were bit hard by a leaked 25% off code about two years ago.
-Rafi
What happens in situations where a Quik-Trak is your only option? BRP and CRT, two stations that I frequent, come to mind.

What's the difference between fraudulently using a code and shoplifting?

What's the difference between fraudulently using a code and shoplifting?
Well, shoplifting you don't pay anything, whereas a code you're still paying 50-80% of the fare. Not that I'm defending the fraudulent use of codes, but there is a difference. Trying to catch a ride on a train without a ticket (I've run into a few people doing this aboard Amtrak during my travels) would be the equivalent of shoplifting. Fraudulent code use would more be like taping the wrong barcode to an item so it scans at a lower price, or something like that.

-Rafi
What happens in situations where a Quik-Trak is your only option? BRP and CRT, two stations that I frequent, come to mind.
In those situations, if it's a coupon you need to trade in, you have to pay with a credit card over the phone and then mail the coupon into Philadelphia (although not all agents are trained in how to do this, in my experience; some have told me that I'm up a creek unless I can get to a station to surrender the coupon); when they receive the coupon, they'll mail your tickets, or I imagine you can also ask to pick the tickets up from the conductor on board the train with a boarding code and your reservation number (although conductors won't collect coupons, so you'll still have to mail those in). This dance obviously requires more than a few weeks of cushion between your phone call and the train trip.

If it's just a promotional code, my experience dictates that it's really up to the phone agent or their manager as to whether or not they will mail you the tickets or tell you "tough luck," and it depends in large part on the terms and conditions of the promotion. Generally speaking, if they'll mail it to you without you mailing in a coupon, it's a ticket you can also get from a Quik-Trak.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, shoplifting you don't pay anything, whereas a code you're still paying 50-80% of the fare. Not that I'm defending the fraudulent use of codes, but there is a difference.
If you walk into Walmart and stick a $50 pricetag on a $200 TV, that is called Shoplifting by both Walmart, and Law enforcement. Specifically in the case of improper use of codes, it is also considered "Theft by deception" on top of the shoplifting. You can "spin" the definition all you want, but its still not cool.

By "not cool", I mean all that does is make the codes HARDER to use. If Amtrak thinks the code is being abused, they might cancel it, or make it less useful, or make requirments harder to meet....etc..

That said, there is a difference between "Theft by deception", and "maximizing the codes".

For example, the Downeaster has a "Buy one, get one free" promotion for travel from BOSTON TO MAINE, and back.

The codes are setup to only work with early northbound, and late southbound trains. Yet, I use those codes all the time for travel just within Maine, or late travel into Boston, and coming back the next day.

I might be violating the "spirit" of the promotion, but it is definetly not theft. I'm not pretending to be a student, or have AAA.

Check me if I'm wrong, but if I recall for AAA, you have to give your number when making the res and the note says to have your card ready to display to the Conductor or Agent if picking up tickets; however I never have been asked to show my card.

Well, shoplifting you don't pay anything, whereas a code you're still paying 50-80% of the fare. Not that I'm defending the fraudulent use of codes, but there is a difference.
If you walk into Walmart and stick a $50 pricetag on a $200 TV, that is called Shoplifting by both Walmart, and Law enforcement. Specifically in the case of improper use of codes, it is also considered "Theft by deception" on top of the shoplifting. You can "spin" the definition all you want, but its still not cool.

By "not cool", I mean all that does is make the codes HARDER to use. If Amtrak thinks the code is being abused, they might cancel it, or make it less useful, or make requirments harder to meet....etc..

That said, there is a difference between "Theft by deception", and "maximizing the codes".

For example, the Downeaster has a "Buy one, get one free" promotion for travel from BOSTON TO MAINE, and back.

The codes are setup to only work with early northbound, and late southbound trains. Yet, I use those codes all the time for travel just within Maine, or late travel into Boston, and coming back the next day.

I might be violating the "spirit" of the promotion, but it is definetly not theft. I'm not pretending to be a student, or have AAA.
I've also successfully utilized a "Boston" promotion. I just googled "amtrak coupon codes" and used one that was supposed to be for travel to Boston on the NEC. I had to book via a phone agent and they gave me the promotion one way, from DC to Boston since that was the spirit of the discount - travel to Boston.

Larz, while sechs does have a point that using a discount to which you are not entitled may not be the most ethical thing to do, what you suggest (using a QT machine) is the method that probably countless thousands of people use every day to skirt the requirements.
If you need to start out by setting morality or ethics aside, or you need to talk about skirting something, I think you need to seriously consider what you are posting.

Pretending, just for a moment, that this isn't illegal, can people posting here really feel good about helping people take what is not rightfully theirs? Amtrak isn't a money grubbing company; it loses money every year. So, it has to be supported by us, the American people, through our tax dollars. Is it really okkay to steal from all Americans for a discount on a train trip?

If you check your values at the door, don't be surprised if someone appropriates them while you're talking....

Everyone loves a bargain and if it is offered to some, why not all?

A newbie comes here trying to save a few VERY HARD EARNED $s - if some make him feel bad, he will be gone and IMHO this forum will likewise be gone.

Personally, I try to save at every opportunity - few tell me to my face that I am a bad person - not because I am 6'3" and weigh 250 lbs, but more likely because I have spent about 20 years of my life teaching in the High School, and while the Principal thought I was teaching Chemistry or Physics, I thought that it was more important that I try to teach the kids how to be good people.

Can you be a good person and still use a discount that you might not be entitled to? Some folks disagree with me. Fine with me, be wrong.

Check me if I'm wrong, but if I recall for AAA, you have to give your number when making the res and the note says to have your card ready to display to the Conductor or Agent if picking up tickets; however I never have been asked to show my card.
Yes, I think that you have to enter your AAA number when making the reservation. But if there's 3 or 4 people on the reservation, you could enter the SAME AAA number for everyone, and the computer will accept it. When you go to the window, the agent always asked to see my card, but not of the others. (But I have heard of times they request the card for everyone - but it's never happened to me.)

However, the Quik-Trak never wants to see my card. And I have NEVER been asked for it after I got the tickets! (Not to say it couldn't happen.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back