COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak Food Service Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Permanent is a long time, but probably at least as long as Covid is suppressing ridership. We shall see if it goes beyond that. Alternatively I could also see them playing games and only restoring traditional dining on a couple “preferred trains” and not the others. They have talked about an “experiential service plan” On select trains in the last couple five year plans - obviously Covid is changing everything but that’s one way they could Eventually move in that Direction when Covid passes by just bringing it back to a couple select trains deemed “experiential.” If they do continue flex dining for the long run some tweaks need to be made for the western trains if they are going to stick with this type of format. There aren’t enough options or variety for trips of that long duration. One possible improvement is to offer some of the cafe options (either with a cafe car voucher or to just give the flex dining LSA some of the cafe items to serve.) One thing giving me a small glimmer of hope that the suspension may not be permanent is that Acela first class has also gotten a major downgrade (from the descriptions I’ve seen - even worse than flex dining) and I have to imagine Acela dining would go back to normal eventually once demand returns. The only train you can get a proper meal right now seems to be the auto train..

On a possible unrelated positive note interestingly I did just receive emails reference my upcoming October trip on the silver service that included this blurb - could this mean a return of the Viewliner II diners to the silver service starting on July 6th? :
  • Both trains will offer expanded capacity for each departure:
    • Five fully-refreshed Amfleet II Coach cars—offering new seating cushions, carpets, curtains, LED reading lights and ample space for physical distancing
    • Three Viewliner Sleeping Cars—offering customers the option to book a private Bedroom or Roomette for their trip
    • One Amfleet Café Car—offering meals, snacks and beverages for sale
    • One Viewliner II Sleeper Lounge—an exclusive space for customers in private rooms, offering complimentary flexible dining services
Sure sounds like the Diners are going back on the Starvation and possibly the New Viewliner IIs on both Trains!!!???🥰

It's a No Brainer!!!

Last edited:
Honestly I look for this to continue into 2021, and sadly, probably become permanent on the LD Trains!
Once something is downgraded at Amtrak it seems that restoration of a former better service is gone forever... that seems to be the consistent 'track' record. Oh my, these disgusting meals have no texture, no taste, poor quality and poor quantity. I can't imagine going 4 nights & 5 days from coast to coast - each way - with such unsatisfying and monotonous food!:eek::mad:🤮

It looks like the last vestige of classic food service has disappeared on Acela 1st class. As of today on the Amtrak site they indicate:

"The safety of our passengers remains our first priority, and we thank you for taking your journey with us. In order to ensure your safety during this time, we will temporarily be offering boxed meal selections with assorted items for each meal period. Additionally, our usual selections of Acela First Class beverages are available if you desire. Glassware and ice are available upon request. We appreciate your understanding."

So sad to see that go as well. And on Amtrak, once a service is downgraded... its gone!😵

Traditional Dining Service, (save for the Auto Train) is now suspended through August 31, 2020.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-dining/dining-car.html
I'm booked on a mid-September trip that includes the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder, and my ticket indicates "Flexible Dining" for both. I don't expect traditional dining to ever return, which is really going to make me think twice about long trips in the future. Out of the four unappealing choices for lunch/dinner on the flexible menu -- and what's so flexible about pre-made, microwaved TV dinners that can't be customized to the diner's preference, anyway?-- there are only two I can eat. No way I'm going to pay $$$$$$ for a cross country trip that takes three days each way where I'll be switching back and forth between those two choices for 12 meals, and sad cold breakfasts.

• Both trains will offer expanded capacity for each departure:
    • Five fully-refreshed Amfleet II Coach cars—offering new seating cushions, carpets, curtains, LED reading lights and ample space for physical distancing
    • Three Viewliner Sleeping Cars—offering customers the option to book a private Bedroom or Roomette for their trip
    • One Amfleet Café Car—offering meals, snacks and beverages for sale
    • One Viewliner II Sleeper Lounge—an exclusive space for customers in private rooms, offering complimentary flexible dining services
Will that be before or after the use of new wonderful bedding promised last year or the ability to combine cash and points for trips promised the year before or even the appearance of the Easter bunny and Great Pumpkin?

I think the issue is far bigger than Amtrak's meager food offerings, at least in the era of Covid-19. I suspect all travel will encounter the same prepackaged, tasteless, processed food we now enjoy on Amtrak. We just returned from a road trip and spent two nights on the road staying at our usual moderately priced Marriott Fairfield hotels. Normally their 'free' breakfasts are pretty good with an assortment of fresh fruit, sausage or bacon, and omelets. Now everything was wrapped in cellophane and there were no hot offerings. So, while Amtrak food is a disaster, at least there is a plausible reason for it as long as we have Covid-19. I am sure Amtrak bean counters are relieved that the timing of the virus has had the unintended effect of providing some cover for flexible dining.

I guess the only reason 'real food' exits on Auto Train is they have made a commitment to try and retain this lucrative market and with at least twice the number of sleepers as other trains it isn't practical to try and serve all passengers from a glorified cafe car and walk through 3 or 4 sleepers to the room. And certainly many paying the premium to haul their auto wouldn't be satisfied with a flexible dining box.

But of course this begs the questions, as other have noted regarding fare sales, if they can do it on A-T why not all trains.

I think the issue is far bigger than Amtrak's meager food offerings, at least in the era of Covid-19. I suspect all travel will encounter the same prepackaged, tasteless, processed food we now enjoy on Amtrak. We just returned from a road trip and spent two nights on the road staying at our usual moderately priced Marriott Fairfield hotels. Normally their 'free' breakfasts are pretty good with an assortment of fresh fruit, sausage or bacon, and omelets. Now everything was wrapped in cellophane and there were no hot offerings. So, while Amtrak food is a disaster, at least there is a plausible reason for it as long as we have Covid-19. I am sure Amtrak bean counters are relieved that the timing of the virus has had the unintended effect of providing some cover for flexible dining.

I guess the only reason 'real food' exits on Auto Train is they have made a commitment to try and retain this lucrative market and with at least twice the number of sleepers as other trains it isn't practical to try and serve all passengers from a glorified cafe car and walk through 3 or 4 sleepers to the room. And certainly many paying the premium to haul their auto wouldn't be satisfied with a flexible dining box.

But of course this begs the questions, as other have noted regarding fare sales, if they can do it on A-T why not all trains.

We all seem to be groping for a sense future as service deterioration is hastening with this pandemic. We know that most forward thinking countries have CHANGED to keep their services efficient and fulfilling demand as it exists. That means high speed rail between cities no more than 500 miles apart [only exception is China] and dense rapid transit rail in metropolitan areas. The entire concept of Amtrak is outdated; We must own up to the fact that LD service in the US and Canada is mostly for recreational travelers who have more time to spend enjoying the scenery... in the same way tourist trains do... I.E. the Blue Train in South Africa, the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express in Europe, Bernina, Express in Switzerland, The Rocky Mountaineer, The Trans-Siberian, etc. These are well managed and command a high fare... so they continue to exist.

But Amtrak is managed by the government for transportation purposes. Works well in the populous east, and state supported commuters in Cali.

Collectively we have a lot of wisdom regarding rail travel. What would you do if you were running Amtrak for the government... to build efficiency and meet enough demand to break even???
china-high-speed-rail-3.jpg

Is it truly "complimentary"? Have the fares on the Meteor been reduced to the "no food" Star level (food complimentary), or have the fares on the Star been increased to the previous full service dining level (food cost lumped into the fare)?

I believe the reduction in food service on the western trains will result in ridership stagnating or decreasing. This will cause Amtrak to cut more. This thought process is flawed.

Hotels that decide not to provide breakfast service (full service and HGi type hotels) are also going to continue to suffer. I do research and call ahead and ask. When some millinial
Nitwit cheerfully informs me that a grab and go bag serves as breakfast I cheerfully tell them I’ll stay someplace else. I’ll just pick the cheapest property in the area and find a local place serving breakfast.

I believe the reduction in food service on the western trains will result in ridership stagnating or decreasing. This will cause Amtrak to cut more. This thought process is flawed.

Hotels that decide not to provide breakfast service (full service and HGi type hotels) are also going to continue to suffer. I do research and call ahead and ask. When some millinial
Nitwit cheerfully informs me that a grab and go bag serves as breakfast I cheerfully tell them I’ll stay someplace else. I’ll just pick the cheapest property in the area and find a local place serving breakfast.
And that 'cheerful nitwit' was the though process behind 'contemporary dining.' I'm sure he would love that as well!

I will see first hand in Aug/Sep - as I have a journey already scheduled for the end of August (Flex Dining) - on #5 and #11, and then hopefully traditional dining (on #14 and #8)......we will see (not holding my breath).

You're wise to not hold your breath. I've got travels scheduled for September, #1 NOL to Arizona, then back to GA/NC via #4, #30, and #19, all in roomettes, and I'm already starting to think about what food to pack in my on-board cooler and suitcase. Suggest you assume Amtrak won't provide anything for sleeper passengers beyond sugar at breakfast and the same few crappy frozen dinners at lunch and dinner. Hope for the best (or at least better), prepare for the worst. 🤢

I will see first hand in Aug/Sep - as I have a journey already scheduled for the end of August (Flex Dining) - on #5 and #11, and then hopefully traditional dining (on #14 and #8)......we will see (not holding my breath).
Guess I'm in big trouble if I hold my breath to wait for 'real' traditional rail dining service. I have actually experienced this on one of my very first rail rides in the 60's. The experience made the trip... and the best part of the vacation was the journey that got you to wherever you were actually going! Yup, I do anticipate someone will say you can get that on one of those beautifully restored private trains... but if you find one can you afford it???🤠
20th Century Set Table Close-up.png

You're wise to not hold your breath. I've got travels scheduled for September, #1 NOL to Arizona, then back to GA/NC via #4, #30, and #19, all in roomettes, and I'm already starting to think about what food to pack in my on-board cooler and suitcase. Suggest you assume Amtrak won't provide anything for sleeper passengers beyond sugar at breakfast and the same few crappy frozen dinners at lunch and dinner. Hope for the best (or at least better), prepare for the worst. 🤢
You can 'compensate' for the lack of Amtrak cuisine by planning some really nice gourmet items to take with... preferably something that can last a few days. Certain cheeses, meats, French bread, dried fruits, gourmet nuts, spreads, etc. are good... as well as tinned items ... even caviar! Fresh fruit and upscale chocolates for dessert maybe? Pairs well with most scenery! Be your own chef and have fun! 👨‍🍳

Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 9.14.59 AM.png

Hotels that decide not to provide breakfast service (full service and HGi type hotels) are also going to continue to suffer. I do research and call ahead and ask.

Agreed. I’ll be doing the same thing.

I think Drury Inns are still providing the full breakfast and happy hour service.

Yup, I do anticipate someone will say you can get that on one of those beautifully restored private trains... but if you find one can you afford it???

Absolutely. I’ve paid more for Amtrak trips than I have paid for private car trips. That’s not to say private car trips are cheap, but neither is Amtrak!

Plus there is always VIA Rail, if they return.

EXACTLY! I am old enough to come from the age when hospitality providers attracted you with SERVICE (especially true in pre-dereg airlines, as fares were fixed). To this day, my final decision still comes down to who provides the best SERVICE for my budget.

If things continued the way they have for the past 3 months, you might be right, GML. But given the huge reduction in the the deaths from Covid over the past couple weeks, we are looking at the next stage of the pandemic. A stage where it is much less lethal than it was a month ago.
Look at the 7 day rolling average of new cases in the US vs the 7 day rolling average of Covid deaths. One still looks fairly bad and one looks pretty good. Guess which is which?
;-)

There’s a term for thinking that. It’s called unreasonable optimism. Or perhaps irrational exuberance.

Forget dining. You’re going to be lucky to have a train two years from now.

I think Drury Inns are still providing the full breakfast and happy hour service.
Do you have anything anecdotal to prove this? Although I'm a Marriott slave and "insider", I cheat at Drury Inns occasionally. I was under the impression that all hotels who provided a "buffet-style" service environment have had to suspend service or offer take-out bags - depending on jurisdiction of course. This has been responsible for the demise of the usual service at all the Marriott lower tier brands. (After living at a Residence Inn for a month before Covid, this is not good.)

If things continued the way they have for the past 3 months, you might be right, GML. But given the huge reduction in the the deaths from Covid over the past couple weeks, we are looking at the next stage of the pandemic. A stage where it is much less lethal than it was a month ago.
Look at the 7 day rolling average of new cases in the US vs the 7 day rolling average of Covid deaths. One still looks fairly bad and one looks pretty good. Guess which is which?
;-)
It can take 2 or more weeks from time of case to time of death. I wouldn't be so sure the death counts is looking so good...just hasn't caught up to the new increases in cases. ;)

Back