COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak Food Service Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that when I write the staffers don't read more than a sentence. I have written about long haul and dining. I get a response back that has nothing to do with these issues. They just don't care. Several politicians have done the same. I feel that they simply do not care. We are not really represented.
Elect different Reps!!

Yes. I’m not saying it can’t be done. Hoosier State had a dome dining car with food cooked on board. Downeaster has its own menu with higher quality cafe service. The piedmont trains offer free bottled water to all passengers.

Anything is possible if the state is willing to pay for it and make it happen.
While a closer look should be made at what the Alaska Railroad does, the other examples aren't really helpful. The Hoosier State run by Iowa-Pacific was a financial failure, cafe service is relevant to long-distance food-service needs, and the Northeast Corridor cafe service is doing OK. The Piedmont offers nothing but vending machines and the free bottled water and coffee. (The Carolinian offers basic Northeast Corridor style cafe car fare.)

While a closer look should be made at what the Alaska Railroad does, the other examples aren't really helpful. The Hoosier State run by Iowa-Pacific was a financial failure, cafe service is relevant to long-distance food-service needs, and the Northeast Corridor cafe service is doing OK. The Piedmont offers nothing but vending machines and the free bottled water and coffee. (The Carolinian offers basic Northeast Corridor style cafe car fare.)

What was your point?

Alaska is a State funded operation.

The Hoosier State was not a financial disaster for the state of Indiana.

And the point was that Maine and Iowa pay for a different level of service than other states get.

I wasn’t comparing the actual food served on board and thought that would be clear.

If your other option is the shrimp and sausage bowl (gluten free) I can tell you the shrimp bowl is way better than the beef. The beef is swimming in an overly salted sauce and the polenta is not recognizable as such.

The shrimp and sausage rice bowl at least resembles a cheap microwaved rice bowl. It’s not great, but it’s way better than the beef. Those are the only 2 I’ve tried so far. The new little salads are pathetic, and there is no gluten free dessert option.

I cannot eat shrimp. The beef was one of the options I could eat and you and someone else said it was salty and bad. I'm on a low salt diet. So there seems to be one item left and they may not stock that. Has anyone eaten the Kosher meals? What are they?

I cannot eat shrimp. The beef was one of the options I could eat and you and someone else said it was salty and bad. I'm on a low salt diet. So there seems to be one item left and they may not stock that. Has anyone eaten the Kosher meals? What are they?
My info may be a little out of date but the breakfast was some type of omelette, and the L/D entrees were chicken, beef, and fish....

Back