COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak-related Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The million dollar question is will Acela non stop come back or is this an excuse to discontinue it unnoticed.

You will probably see them reappear until the summer recess but in a slightly different time period. These may not be the only adjustments.

If only ostriches were subject to karma !

At this point, my Auto Train trip at the end of the month is still on - as I have not cancelled it, nor has Amtrak.

What an exciting time we live in. Yep, that's the word... exciting (said with rolling eyes).

If you start to cancel an itinerary online and you see cancellation fees (or the lack of a full refund) - ABORT the online cancellation. You can get a full refund by calling the 1-800-USA-RAIL hotline instead.

So - I can go ahead and make the switch to a bedroom (the only way we'll travel on the Auto Train) from coach for my trip at the end of the month, without having to be concerned with a cancel fee, or not being able to get a full (to my credit card) refund?

So - I can go ahead and make the switch to a bedroom (the only way we'll travel on the Auto Train) from coach for my trip at the end of the month, without having to be concerned with a cancel fee, or not being able to get a full (to my credit card) refund?
If available. I LOL at people waiting at LOR or SFA thinking they can switch at the last minute due to possible cancellations. Surprise = highest $$$ possible, most expensive, top o'the bucket list!

If available. I LOL at people waiting at LOR or SFA thinking they can switch at the last minute due to possible cancellations. Surprise = highest $$$ possible, most expensive, top o'the bucket list!
Sometimes it's worth it to have a room, though. There have been times rooms were sold out and I was forced to overnight in coach. I would have gladly paid top-bucket for a room both times that happened.

I got this in my email today - I have a trip booked for July that I booked in Feb

The safety of our customers and employees is Amtrak's top priority. We are closely monitoring the Covid-19 situation and are taking action based on guidance from public health experts. In order to maintain a safe environment and address customer concerns, we are taking measures including:
Enhanced cleaning protocols. We have increased the frequency of cleaning service on our trains and at our stations.
Additional antibacterial products. We have increased the quantity of sanitizers and disinfectant wipes available for customers and employees throughout our trains and stations.
No change fees on bookings made through April 30, 2020. We are waiving change fees so you can book travel on Amtrak® with confidence, knowing you have the flexibility to change your plans.
We will continue to respond to the latest on Covid‑19 with customer and employee safety top of mind. As always, we will strive to create a safe and enjoyable experience for your Amtrak journey — and we hope to see you on board soon. Thank you for being an Amtrak Guest Rewards® member.

I've been keeping a close watch on the bedrooms. One leg got to the point today where the online reservation page indicated that there were "only two left at this price". I think that message kicks in with about 4 or so left, from my experience. Granted, they could have a run on them - and then *poof*. This time waiting didn't burn me!

At this point (of the year), the northbound bedrooms are about $500 more than the southbound ones. It would be way cheaper to book a couple of non-stop first class flights and rent a nice vehicle. But, it's never apples to apples, is it? !!

SO waiting for true autonomous vehicles!!

I need to go to Florida in few days. Pretty worried, I have many health problems but I cant do a 20 hour drive either. I should of went last week before everything went bad in nyc area.

I've been keeping a close watch on the bedrooms. One leg got to the point today where the online reservation page indicated that there were "only two left at this price". I think that message kicks in with about 4 or so left, from my experience. Granted, they could have a run on them - and then *poof*. This time waiting didn't burn me!

At this point (of the year), the northbound bedrooms are about $500 more than the southbound ones. It would be way cheaper to book a couple of non-stop first class flights and rent a nice vehicle. But, it's never apples to apples, is it? !!

SO waiting for true autonomous vehicles!!

It pays to check the email confirmations they send you... Turns out my 3/27 northbound (for which I booked coach, vehicle, priority offload) was successfully changed to a bedroom. The catch was, the fellow somehow managed to separate our vehicle from that date, and had it going up on its own TODAY! Easily enough rectified via a second call to them.

I also see three pending charges on my CC for the two upgrades (bedrooms for north and south). Two are for the upgrade fee (coach to bedroom) and the third is for an entire bedroom reservation - something like $1,500. I'm assuming that will not actually post, but rest assured I'll be watching!

Also, it would be nice if they could all get together and call the sleeping accommodations the same things. He asked if we wanted a Roomette or a Bedroom Suite. I was tempted to say "what do your suites offer", but figured he was just talking about bedrooms. After giving him all the info, and my having stipulated bedrooms 2-3 times, he was in the process of putting me on hold to make the changes and said "ok, Roomette". I quickly reiterated that it was a bedroom we desired.

Perhaps he was a newbie -- but it's no wonder I had to call back to correct the error!

Last edited:
Hoping to travel on Amtrak in June to Cincinnati from SAN. I think Coronavirus scare should have settled down by then, but hoping to use some of my many Amtrak miles to upgrade to a roomette. Advice?

Of course it was bound to happen, and no doubt is happening more often than is reported, due to the lack of available testing in the US, compared to, say South Korea or Italy. The question is for me is, what form of transportation offers the best odds on staying healthy, planes or trains. I still think Amtrak wins: airports are occupied by many more people, at closer proximity, than train stations, and you have to show up farther in advance, which means more exposure to more people. Once you get on a plane, you're in closer contact with fellow passengers than on a train, so the odds of getting enough viral load to get sick are higher. The downside of train travel is that you're in contact with those other people for a lot longer. For me, I'm still sticking with my April cross-country Amtrak trip, though this could change as the coronavirus situation changes.

I'm with you on sticking with our April trip - right smack into Chicago from NYC. Here's the text I just sent my son (who we are visiting at that time) along with a copy of the article above:

"I just calmed myself down. Because unless either Daddy or I (or one of you) actually has the virus ourselves, even if they did cancel the train, we could always hop in the car and come out. Unless of course the scenario starts resembling Stephen King’s “The Stand.” Have you read that? If it appears to be going that route, we’ll probably stay home. And set up for a possible zombie apocalypse because that's what's bound to follow. We’ll play it by ear......."

Hey, if I can't keep my sense of humor I'll probably find myself getting really bummed out. For now, I'm still holding out hope that our trip will go off as planned. Fingers crossed!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-us-woman-tests-positive-105230812.html

I knew this would happen which is why I didn’t travel anywhere. Even Columbia University is being shut down temporarily as a preventative measure. It has gotten to be a very serious matter all over. The Amtrak network has greater reach but has less people in proximity than mass transit. Just one covid 19 infected passenger can infect dozens and dozens of people and of those, some will die from it.

According to a story on Google News, a Passenger on Lincoln Service Train #303 that de-trained in Bloomingyon Normal, has tested Positive for the Virus.

According a Spokesperson for Amtrak, all Trains between Chicago and St.Louis ( hopefully this includes the Eagles)are being thoroughly Cleaned between each trip, and the Amtrak Stations between Chicago and St Louis are receiving continuing Cleanings.

Last edited:
The transmission mechanism is still not fully understood. Unclear if they can remove this virus from an infected train but people who take the train will continue to get infected by other passengers as the numbers keep going up.

If you start to cancel an itinerary online and you see cancellation fees (or the lack of a full refund) - ABORT the online cancellation. You can get a full refund by calling the 1-800-USA-RAIL hotline instead.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true even of Saver fares? I have a ticket for later this month that I won't be using (work-related travel to a conference that's no longer happening). Trying to cancel online offers me an eVoucher less a $7 fee. If I can get an actual refund by calling, I will, but I don't know if I want to spend the time waiting for an agent if all I'll get is an eVoucher with an extra $7 on it.

Back