COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak-related Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worry that you become a carrier is real. If I was even indirectly exposed would probably not get around those who are immune compromised.

That is the real tricky part....how does one know they’re a carrier? We, as a society (in AU members cases, a train riding society) should consider everyone to be a carrier...let sensible paranoia prevail and stay away from those you speak of. For those who are in that aforementioned group, this is not the time to experience train travel.

That is the real tricky part....how does one know they’re a carrier? We, as a society (in AU members cases, a train riding society) should consider everyone to be a carrier...let sensible paranoia prevail and stay away from those you speak of. For those who are in that aforementioned group, this is not the time to experience train travel.
I cancelled my trip on the Eagle to DFW next week. ( I'm 76)Dallas has the most cases of the Virus in Texas and more being reported as I write.

I cancelled my trip on the Eagle to DFW next week. ( I'm 76)Dallas has the most cases of the Virus in Texas and more being reported as I write.

Yeah you’re at an age where you’re more vulnerable. A very smart move on your part. I didn’t realize you were 76. No wonder you type so funny sometimes! LOL In all seriousness, however, stay safe buddy, keep washing your hands and staying away from crowds and don’t let the “famous moron” get to you!

I'm on auto train. Seems like maybe 25% cancelled based on empty seats vs empty seats usually. Everyone has there own two seats. Lady across coughing alot. I was to lazy to move because I stayed in lounge. At bedtime she wasnt coughing.

Last edited:
Stay safe Jim. We are in the process of cancelling our trips in May to SEA and back. With our health issues it is not a good idea to be in Seattle at this time.

No trains involved but we're scheduled for a vacation tour of Greece right after Easter. Expecting to hear an update from the tour company any moment. We paid big bucks for trip insurance but those policies aren't intended to cover wars or pandemics, just the normal stuff. I'm worried that we may end up out just shy of $10K.

The popular café and tap room at the station at Lamy has temporarily closed during the virus emergency but the station will be open for Amtrak passengers:

https://mailchi.mp/653f8f2665ec/blu...f-captain-butch-basinski-2592312?e=5625f9e50f

Can't allow too much success on Amtrak anyway:

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/n...cle_0bb878d2-6301-11ea-b178-0f892ae9eb7e.html
Well, hopefully they'll work it out. Sounds like the tavern leased it from another company.

I haven't cancelled any trips but by odd coincidence I also hadn't booked any when SARS-2 came knocking. At first it was tempting to look for deep discounts to areas with limited exposure but then they started cancelling flights and closing borders. So I'm just waiting to see what happens like everyone else. Meanwhile the mostly empty office feels like a scene from Night of the Comet. I wonder if we'll still have jobs after months of sudden and severe economic contraction finish taking their toll.

Last edited:
My next Amtrak trip is scheduled for July. I'm still assuming we'll be good to go by then--will cancel later if need be.

Meanwhile, I'm organizing a large event for November--and already getting queries about cancellation policy. The venue we've rented has cancelled, into April, all events where more than 250 people are expected. Economic contraction indeed.

I went ahead and canceled. I really wanted to go on this trip, but I really really really knew I should not. I canceled today so I do not have to stress over or dwell on it any more.

Hard decision - but a wise one.

I'm going to wait till the last week of March to decide. The trip's in May, from FTW to TUS. Right now it seems reasonably safe but who knows what's going to happen down the road.

Last edited:
CTDOT just announced that the Springfield line is going to a 7 day a week Saturday schedule until further notice. Their announcement applies to both the CTrail commuter rail and Amtrak service on the line. Given that the Amtrak service on the SPG line is timed to connect to the NEC id suspect an announcement anytime that the NEC is going to a Saturday schedule 7 days per week.

I plan to cancel my April trip later today. Honestly, I'd concluded that I needed to cancel some days ago as the situation in Seattle has gotten more dire, but I have had more pressing things to attend to, like learning to teach online with some semblance of effectiveness.

I plan to cancel my April trip later today. Honestly, I'd concluded that I needed to cancel some days ago as the situation in Seattle has gotten more dire, but I have had more pressing things to attend to, like learning to teach online with some semblance of effectiveness.
(Off-topic)

What subject do you teach?

I have april May and June trips scheduled. Not planning to cancel any just yet. They seem to be waiving change fees as long as the virus as an issue and I have premium accommodations for the latter two trips so no change fees anyway.

Keep on eye on the website. Service adjustments are probably coming.
Looks like Acela weekday service is going to what looks like a modification of the regular weekend schedule, including carrying the 22XX numbers for most of the trains. That is a substantial seat reduction. 16 round trips to 5 for New York - Washington.

Last edited:
Looks like Acela weekday service is going to what looks like a modification of the regular weekend schedule, including carrying the 22XX numbers for most of the trains. That is a substantial seat reduction. 16 round trips to 5 for New York - Washington.

I also saw mention on FB all of the NEC is in a Saturday schedule.

CTDOT just announced that the Springfield line is going to a 7 day a week Saturday schedule until further notice. Their announcement applies to both the CTrail commuter rail and Amtrak service on the line. Given that the Amtrak service on the SPG line is timed to connect to the NEC id suspect an announcement anytime that the NEC is going to a Saturday schedule 7 days per week.

Technically for the SPG line its a modified Saturday schedule as there will just be one through regional round trip - 147 south and 140 north.

More info. Dated Mar. 13, '20:
TRAIN #15 CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) [From Via Rail]
This is Via Rail Haiifax to Montreal. Oddly to me, no notice to date of Mont to Hal cancellation. (I'd previously cancelled all Via Rail travel.)

Meanwhile, I'm organizing a large event for November--and already getting queries about cancellation policy. The venue we've rented has cancelled, into April, all events where more than 250 people are expected. Economic contraction indeed.
Maybe the silver lining out of this cloud is that the travel industry will go back to having more flexible (for the traveler) cancellation policies. It might mean that prices are a little higher, but if you have to buy extra travel insurance, you're already paying a higher price.

Back