COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak-related Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the silver lining out of this cloud is that the travel industry will go back to having more flexible (for the traveler) cancellation policies. It might mean that prices are a little higher, but if you have to buy extra travel insurance, you're already paying a higher price.

Well, that only works if the companies in question stay in business. :( We probably shouldn't worry about the airlines (or Amtrak) on that front, since they'll likely get government bailouts. However, I won't hold my breath expecting their "flexible cancellation policies" to continue beyond the current crisis.

We SHOULD be worried about smaller businesses remaining in business after absorbing losses from the current combination of drop in income with continuing ongoing expenses.

Well, that only works if the companies in question stay in business. :( We probably shouldn't worry about the airlines (or Amtrak) on that front, since they'll likely get government bailouts. However, I won't hold my breath expecting their "flexible cancellation policies" to continue beyond the current crisis.
I also doubt that it will last across the board. But such relaxation of policy based on specific events for specific markets is nothing new for the airlines. They have been doing it for many years. The outright cancellation with cash/credit refund is more unusual, but cancellation for fee free reuse is not unusual at all.

I really need to give a shout-out to the Amtrak customer Service I just encountered on the phone.

We have a trip planned on the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago, round-trip, roomette - April 4 through April 9. My attitude since the start of all of this craziness is that the only way we would NOT be taking this trip is if the train itself were cancelled or travel was in some other way banned or restricted.

Well, obviously things are getting a lot more "real" in so many aspects of life, we're starting to think that we might actually have to make the decision to cancel...but honestly, I'm not ready to pull that lever yet. I want to wait it out a bit longer.

So I called Amtrak to ask how close to the actual travel we could cancel. Know what I was told? We had until 3:40 p.m. on April 4 to cancel. She had pulled up my reservation from my phone number, and saw that this was the time our train left. She told me we could cancel right up to that time. (I asked her twice about that because it seems crazy.)

And she told me that we would absolutely get a 100% refund (if that's what I decide I want...it might end up being some type of re-booking.)

She was so nice and helpful. Great customer service experience!

Now to call the Hilton in Chicago to see how lenient they are.

From CNN: Domestic Travel Restrictions Considered --- including: There are preliminary conversations about halting some air or train travel between some major US cities as a potential additional step going forward.

RT flight Orlando to DC next Thursday... and RT AutoTrain at the end of the month.

Now, none of those would be considered "major" cities, right! !!

Oh fun

From CNN: Domestic Travel Restrictions Considered --- including: There are preliminary conversations about halting some air or train travel between some major US cities as a potential additional step going forward.

RT flight Orlando to DC next Thursday... and RT AutoTrain at the end of the month.

Now, none of those would be considered "major" cities, right! !!

Oh fun
Last time I checked, DC was considered a MAJOR World City, and isnt Orlando now the most visited City in the US after New York??

At the present time we know how the virus spreads. Is it safe to travel in the deluxe sleepers (with bathroom inside the room) on the auto train?
Someone at Amtrak explained to me that the air in each train car is circulated through all the rooms and there is no way to protect oneself against germs in such a setting.
If this is really true, why hasn’t Amtrak provided filters at the air intakes to each room - or have they?
Is it safe to travel on Amtrak in the private room sleepers?

Maybe the silver lining out of this cloud is that the travel industry will go back to having more flexible (for the traveler) cancellation policies. It might mean that prices are a little higher, but if you have to buy extra travel insurance, you're already paying a higher price.
The silver lining I was hoping to see were mandated sick days to help bring our employment protections in line with other industrialized democracies, but that does not appear to be on the cards.

Last edited:
Someone at Amtrak explained to me that the air in each train car is circulated through all the rooms and there is no way to protect oneself against germs in such a setting.
I have always, for years, brought pizza-box-tops to duck tape over the ceiling vent...mainly to stop the blowing.

I'm due to fly from London to Seattle in May and then take the Empire Builder to Chicago. I booked online it in December.
Two things:
1) I haven't yet heard from Amtrak.
2) I'm wondering how long it will be before flights from the UK will also be banned.
3) I haven't cancelled anything yet because I am optimistic.
4) I have also booked a trip to Italy in September, about which I am not so optimistic, but I have paid only for the flights with BA and I know I will get either a refund or a credit.

However we feel about our travel plans being disrupted, we should not forget those who have died, and the loss to their friends and families.

Only took 72 hours to cancel incoming flights from UK and Ireland, also.

I'm a docent at the CSRM and a narrator on the CA Zephyr. We were just notified on 3/14 that the museum is now closed due to the virus, and that the Amtrak narrator service between Sacramento and Reno has been suspended. We had one team on the Train #5 who will be back today 3/15. After that we are to stand down and await developments. The museum in Old Town Sacramento is closed as are all associated programs such as those for school children. BTW, much of OTS is also shut down. Also, most if not all of the museums in the Sacramento have closed.

I'm due to fly from London to Seattle in May and then take the Empire Builder to Chicago. I booked online it in December.
Two things:
1) I haven't yet heard from Amtrak.
2) I'm wondering how long it will be before flights from the UK will also be banned.
3) I haven't cancelled anything yet because I am optimistic.
4) I have also booked a trip to Italy in September, about which I am not so optimistic, but I have paid only for the flights with BA and I know I will get either a refund or a credit.

However we feel about our travel plans being disrupted, we should not forget those who have died, and the loss to their friends and families.

I WAS due to fly into PDX from UK 23rd March and back home from Chicago on 30th March travelling on Amtrak PDX - Sacramento - Chicago in Roomette/Bedroom.

I have had no contact from Amtrak (did not expect individual contact) and trying to cancel my booking online I was only offered the standard E-voucher less $250.

I bit the bullet and phoned from the UK and spoke to an Amtrak agent. As soon as the agent understood that I had to cancel because I was not able to reach the USA, she effected a FULL refund to my credit card. Very impressed.

I am due to come over again at the end of May for another Amtrak vacation (CHI-LAX-PDX-CHI). Probably going to be too early for restrictions to be lifted by then.

Already thinking (and hoping) that I will be able to re- book in 2021.

Unfortunately, I do not believe The Zephyr offers narration during the winter as a norm. Its just summer months.
Yes, as an Amtrak narrator, we typically do work all year on most days. The California State Railroad Museum picks up the cost of our overnight stay in Reno. During the time of special events in Reno such as "Reno Air Races", the hotel prices are too high so we skip those dates. We take the eastbound #6 out of Sacramento around 11am arriving in Reno about 4 pm. The next morning, we take the west bound #5 at about 8:30 am arriving Sacramento around 2pm. If either train is more than 4 hours late, we have the option of skipping the eastbound train or taking the bus for the westbound leg. The busiest times appear to be the shoulder days before and after a major multiday holiday. Normal load is about 150 passengers, around 300 on peak days.

I WAS due to fly into PDX from UK 23rd March and back home from Chicago on 30th March travelling on Amtrak PDX - Sacramento - Chicago in Roomette/Bedroom.

I have had no contact from Amtrak (did not expect individual contact) and trying to cancel my booking online I was only offered the standard E-voucher less $250.

I bit the bullet and phoned from the UK and spoke to an Amtrak agent. As soon as the agent understood that I had to cancel because I was not able to reach the USA, she effected a FULL refund to my credit card. Very impressed.

I am due to come over again at the end of May for another Amtrak vacation (CHI-LAX-PDX-CHI). Probably going to be too early for restrictions to be lifted by then.

Already thinking (and hoping) that I will be able to re- book in 2021.
When I cancelled my Roundtrip to Dallas on Amtrak( Dollars) this weekend (3/14), I only had to wait for a Live Agent about 1 Minute after getting past that pesky Julie.

The friendly,helpful Agent ( he was in Philly) asked me if I wanted a Voucher or a Full Refund to my Card, and took care of it in about 1 Minute!

He did tell me that the Call Center has been the busiest he has seen it in his many years with Amtrak( didnt say how many), with most people taking Full Refunds for LD and Regionall Trains, especially the NEC.

In terms of service levels, the NEC has been hit again. No Keystone Service between NYP-PHL, only 1 Acela round trip between WAS-NYP and 1 round trip between BOS-NYP, and with multiple 2-hour gaps in service. The two trains that run exclusively between NYP-WAS have eliminated the cafe car.

The Winter Park Express has also ended.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/nec-modified-schedule.html
Updates to Service
March 15, 2020, 3:00 pm ET
While Amtrak continues to operate across the nation, we have adjusted some services due to significantly reduced demand in key markets. Impacted services are as follows:

Northeast Corridor: Starting Monday, March 16, we will be operating approximately 40% of our typical weekday Northeast Corridor schedules. Our Northeast Regional and Acela service will still operate between Boston, New York, and Washington and Northeast Corridor services that extend into Virginia, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New York, Vermont, and other states will continue to operate but with some reductions in frequencies for certain markets referenced below.
Keystone Service: In coordination with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, starting Monday, March 16 through Sunday, March 29, Keystone Service will be operating on its Saturday schedule on a daily basis, between Harrisburg and Philadelphia only, with no service to the Ardmore, Paoli, Downingtown, Parkesburg, Coatesville and Exton Stations.
Amtrak Hartford Line and Valley Flyer: Starting Monday, March 16, Amtrak Hartford Line and Valley Flyer Service will be operating on its Saturday schedule on a daily basis.
New York State Service: Starting Sunday, March 15, the Maple Leaf will only operate between New York Penn and Niagara Falls, New York, and the Adirondack will only operate between New York Penn and Albany, New York. Empire Service between New York City and Albany continues as scheduled.
Winter Park Express: The Winter Park Express is canceled for the rest of the season.
Other services may also be impacted as circumstances change and Café service will be suspended on some trains operating between Washington DC and New York City.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will be contacted and typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day.

Amtrak is waiving change fees on all existing or new reservations made before April 30, 2020. To change reservations, log in to your account or go to Modify Trip on Amtrak.com, or find your reservation from your account on the home screen in the Amtrak mobile app. A fare difference may apply to your new itinerary. If you want to cancel your reservation, you must call 800-USA-RAIL (not available via Amtrak.com or the app).

What is going on with Vancouver, BC service? I am booked on 517 Tuesday morning, but just received a cancellation notice. Are trains going to be running normally tomorrow? They're still showing as available, whereas Tuesday's trains are cancelled.

The best advice I ever received from this board was Gaffers Tape. Official tape of Amtrak, fixes curtains, air vents, heat vents, rattling doors and all sorts of other issues. Doesn't do anything for the contemporary dining menu, but otherwise it's great. They should include it in the amenity kits they keep promising as part of the sleeper upgrades...

Back