COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak-related Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way things are going nothing is a guarantee. Does he plan on doing anything in Chicago other than take another train back? I think Illinois is on total lock down.

I’ve got nothing else to do so I’ve thought about just riding amtrak around.... I feel like I would be pretty safe in a sleeper with some Clorox wipes to disinfect it.

But I don’t want to get stranded somewhere and have a difficult time getting back... especially with Florida starting to mandatory close hotels in some areas.

"Just riding Amtrak around" doesn't seem like a great idea right now, unless for essential travel. You not only have to be concerned about yourself but everyone else. What if you've contracted the virus, but show no symptoms yet? You could be unintentionally passing it to others...

"Just riding Amtrak around" doesn't seem like a great idea right now, unless for essential travel. You not only have to be concerned about yourself but everyone else. What if you've contracted the virus, but show no symptoms yet? You could be unintentionally passing it to others...

That’s no less true now than it was a month ago.

However I don’t want to directly disobey government orders especially when they are designed to help people in need.

In reality I doubt I will.... but it still helps me mentally to think that I could. :) relaxing in a roomette watching the Rockies drift by window would be quite good for me about now! Ha.

i have a trip planned for the end of this month to go see my mom before I’m not able to. Will I still be able to travel?
It may depend on where you live and to where you want to travel. If traveling by Amtrak, it may depend on whether the train on which you plan to travel is suspended/canceled.

Right now, with LD trains still running, the problem will be where do you stay during a layover or destination? I believe many hotels have suspended service. Restaurants are limited to "take-out" if they offer that.

Right now, with LD trains still running, the problem will be where do you stay during a layover or destination? I believe many hotels have suspended service. Restaurants are limited to "take-out" if they offer that.

Yeah I would only take LD trains and transfer from one train to another.

Before it closed I had thought about taking the Builder out to Izaak Walton or one of the other Glacier area lodges. More secluded the better but I could distract myself with lovely and peaceful scenery.

On the news the other day they had a piece on about how bad things are in Italy. They pointed out that Italy is a "good example" of what happens when people do NOT listen to the authorities and just do what they want instead of what's recommended.

With that in mind and the number of places that have asked their locals to curtail unnecessary travel - I would be on the side that taking Amtrak "just because" would not be a good idea .... we don't need an Italy over here.

I had intended to take a couple "day trips" but I can wait ....

Unfortunately, several LD trains have been running out of Toilet Paper because passengers are stealing it. Also issues with toilets clogging because of the prevalent use of bacterial wipes by passengers who then proceed to flush them down the toilet....

Question for a friend.

He has a ticket for the Southwest Chief on the 31 March, Lax to CHI. Is there any inside information as to whether all rail transport will be stopped or are the major LD routes almost guaranteed to run?

Thanks

I wouldn't say it is guaranteed to run but as an intercity operator, I don't believe Amtrak may shut down without the consent of the government. According to CFR 49 U.S. Code § 24101 Amtrak.Findings, mission, and goals part of its responsibility is to operate in times of emergency:

(9)provide additional or complementary intercity transportation service to ensure mobility in times of national disaster or other instances where other travel options are not adequately available;

As long as it is deemed an essential service and funded, it will likely continue to operate. That being said, local guidelines can limit how it is operated. There are plenty of train stations closed. Certain cities have implemented curfews and some Amtrak trains arrive during those times. Therefore, no one is allowed on or off. Services such as Uber, Lyft or other forms of public transportation aren't available to meet the trains.

......But the coaches will be pretty close to empty anyways so it may not matter.
Do you have enough Clorox wipes to go over the public restroom every time you need to use it or do you plan to follow Sheldon's policy of holding it for the entire trip.
i have a trip planned for the end of this month to go see my mom before I’m not able to. Will I still be able to travel?
But should you? Does your mom need your help? Every visitor poses a risk of infection. I've canceled plans to visit my son an his wife. You could be exposed on the train and expose your mom.
Unfortunately, several LD trains have been running out of Toilet Paper because passengers are stealing it. ......
:eek: There's another reason.

Thank you very much Thirdrail7, it's a journey home where his work is.

If the US base restrictions on what is currently happening here in Europe he would still be allowed to travel, his job is essential, it's food production.

Do you have enough Clorox wipes to go over the public restroom every time you need to use it or do you plan to follow Sheldon's policy of holding it for the entire trip.

IF I were to go I’d for sure be getting a sleeper!!

If a LD train stopped right in my town... I’d probably be on one already. The idea of flying to, and then transferring to Amtrak seems iffy for many reasons right now.

I can understand someone wanting to ride a train to get home, traveling somewhere just to travel is ridiculous. What are you going to do when you get wherever, or who are you going to talk to, interact with. Nobody wants to really get close to other people, especially strangers. If you want to do any riding, try riding this thing out, for the time being.

I can understand someone wanting to ride a train to get home, traveling somewhere just to travel is ridiculous. What are you going to do when you get wherever, or who are you going to talk to, interact with. Nobody wants to really get close to other people, especially strangers. If you want to do any riding, try riding this thing out, for the time being.

It would just be a train ride for a train ride.
I mean that’s why I asked others what the vibe is like on the trains.

I enjoy relaxing in my sleeper by myself. And if I get a table to myself in the diner... even better! (Will reminds of the parlor car days!).

Again.... I doubt I’ll do it. I’ve checked some prices and thought about it.

My entire state is ordered to stay home -- no going outside except to access food, supplies, health care, walk the dog or exercise (individually). Fortunately, liquor stores are open, they are deemed to provide an essential service. This is until April 7th (at least).

Although not every state has implemented this, I assume this is for the national good, not just for the good of our state.

Under the circumstances, going on Amtrak for non-essential travel is just unfathomable to me.

My two penniesworth... a view from an alien

I think you are all being a little hard on crescent-zephyr, he's? obviously a man who travels in solitary anyway, and would be someone who would minimise any spread of the disease, add to that the US situation is changing so fast (just like everywhere else) that what is correct today isn't tomorrow and vice versa.

We travelled to Egypt 3 weeks ago and made a conscious decision to do so on the information we had 4 weeks ago. If asked to make the same decision just 4 weeks on there is no doubt we wouldn't have travelled, things change.

After a fortunate for all of us a life of total predictability to do and go where we please when we please it must be very hard for many to change habits of a lifetime, especially when your government like ours flip-flops.

Last, it's estimated that maybe 60 - 80% of us will catch this virus and for the majority we will suffer no more than we do now with colds and flu. At some point the vulnerable will have to be exposed as we can't lock large numbers away for ever and those that still contribute to the economy have to be able to have a semblance of a normal life at some point. I agree now that that point is some way off.

I'm sure there are counter arguments and possibly I'll respond to them, but if nothing else don't make crescent-zephyr the scapegoat, my reading he is just a railfan like all of you looking for a reasonable way to ride the rails.

He can wait.

Lol. Actually I can do whatever I want. It’s not illegal to ride Amtrak right now.

I think you are all being a little hard on crescent-zephyr, he's? obviously a man who travels in solitary anyway, and would be someone who would minimise any spread of the disease, add to that the US situation is changing so fast (just like everywhere else) that what is correct today isn't tomorrow and vice versa.

I am a he so you guessed correct! I actually typically enjoy the lounge car and meeting people on LD trains but I can’t imagine that the SSL is bustling with activity right now. But the quiet of a sleeper is nice too.

My entire state is ordered to stay home -- no going outside except to access food, supplies, health care, walk the dog or exercise (individually). Fortunately, liquor stores are open, they are deemed to provide an essential service. This is until April 7th (at least).

Although not every state has implemented this, I assume this is for the national good, not just for the good of our state.

Under the circumstances, going on Amtrak for non-essential travel is just unfathomable to me.
Kinda related to the liquor stores staying open, I've read that a number of liquor distilleries are producing high-proof "hand cleaner". Not sure if they're allowed to call it "hand sanitizer" yet, but it's at least the CDC-recommended 60% alcohol for disinfecting hands (and often a higher alcohol percentange). And in many cases, it's being distributed for free by the distilleries.

That’s no less true now than it was a month ago.

However I don’t want to directly disobey government orders especially when they are designed to help people in need.

In reality I doubt I will.... but it still helps me mentally to think that I could. :) relaxing in a roomette watching the Rockies drift by window would be quite good for me about now! Ha.

With that caveat, I agree!

Back