COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic: Amtrak-related Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been able to read this whole thread so maybe this was discussed...

Assuming there's alot if cancellations when do you think well start seeing prices going down on LD sleeper fares? If it gets really bad (like many think) would amtrak start offering rock bottom deals? I'm talking months out. Hoping the fares would get so low it would be worth booking a LD sleeper trip in Hope's that things would be safer. I've been checking the Zephyr for July and Aug and still see prices as high as usual.

Regarding low fares, I just checked price for Bedrooms from Seattle to Kissimmee next week, and got a price of $1861, which is a pretty good deal. Nothing "rock bottom," but if I were planning a trip I would jump on this. When I last checked, fare for next winter was around $4000.

Regarding low fares, I just checked price for Bedrooms from Seattle to Kissimmee next week, and got a price of $1861, which is a pretty good deal. Nothing "rock bottom," but if I were planning a trip I would jump on this. When I last checked, fare for next winter was around $4000.
Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire! Stay home and DONT Travel Now!!!

Based on the Amtrak website for reservations it appears the Vermonter bit the dust. The state supported portion of the route appears to be suspended and the train has been truncated to essentially a NHV-WAS Regional.

Based on the Amtrak website for reservations it appears the Vermonter bit the dust. The state supported portion of the route appears to be suspended and the train has been truncated to essentially a NHV-WAS Regional.
The Ethan Allen Express also appears to be cancelled.

That means the following route segments will now be without any Amtrak train service:
1. Chicago, IL-Grand Rapids, MI (Pere Marquette)
2. Everett, WA-Vancouver, BC (Cascades)
3. Montreal, QC-Schenectady, NY (Adirondack)
4. Niagara Falls, NY-Toronto, ON (Maple Leaf)
5. Philadelphia, PA-Pittsburgh, PA (Keystone Service and Pennsylvanian)
6. Rutland, VT-Schenectady, NY (Ethan Allen Express)
7. Springfield, MA-St. Albans, VT (Vermonter)

I got sick on our last vacation (I did get a flu shot). My wife said I don't wash my hands enough and touch my face too much. On the last day of our eight in Hawaii, I was coughing with a fever and chills, and could not get out of bed. It rained that day (only) anyway. The next day, we flew to Los Angeles, and then got on the Coast Starlight to Seattle. I was still not feeling well, but was fine with traveling. However, I probably spread some unwelcome germs.
Glad you were well when we traveled together from Florida to Washington DC!! I canceled my March trips to Dallas and to San Francisco. I'm hopeful the virus situation will improve before July when we will travel to Chicago and in August to New York via Amtrak. I miss my train travel.

Glad you were well when we traveled together from Florida to Washington DC!! I canceled my March trips to Dallas and to San Francisco. I'm hopeful the virus situation will improve before July when we will travel to Chicago and in August to New York via Amtrak. I miss my train travel.
How are things in your part of Florida Dick??

Empire Builder just passed Skykomish, WA, on webcam. One locomotive, Viewliner bag, one sleeper, diner, one coach. Even for off-season that's a small consist.
The Question is Why is it still running taking/bringing potential Positive "Typhoid Marys" to/from a Hot Spot in the NW????

Shut er down!!!!

I was just messing around looking at Fort Worth / Chicago fares; it appears that most fares are at second bucket, a few at low bucket in sleepers. No discounts lower than that. Surprisingly some sell outs on family rooms and bedrooms on some dates. Personally, I don't think I'd want to chance a trip right now, I'm happy sitting at home with my case of toilet paper and gallons of clorox bleach.

The Question is Why is it still running taking/bringing potential Positive "Typhoid Marys" to/from a Hot Spot in the NW????

Shut er down!!!!

They're still essential links for those that need to get somewhere. Ideally, anyone that can wait to travel will do so, so social distancing can still happen on a shortened consist for those that must travel. It's the same reason that we haven't completely shut down air travel or the interstate network - some people must still travel, and having those links still available is vital.

They're still essential links for those that need to get somewhere. Ideally, anyone that can wait to travel will do so, so social distancing can still happen on a shortened consist for those that must travel. It's the same reason that we haven't completely shut down air travel or the interstate network - some people must still travel, and having those links still available is vital.
Well have to agree to disagree! No Essential workers are riding Amtrak to California and Washington State on the LD Trains!

Shelter in Place should mean just that!
The US does NOT want to become like Italy and now Spain!!! YMMV

Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire! Stay home and DONT Travel Now!!!
Well have to agree to disagree! No Essential workers are riding Amtrak to California and Washington State on the LD Trains!

Shelter in Place should mean just that!
The US does NOT want to become like Italy and now Spain!!! YMMV
I have a bus group of that I have reserved 10 roomettes and 4 bedrooms plus some coach seating. can't seem to get Amtrak to extend our cutoff date...we depart on July 3...we have to make a decision to cancel with full refund by April 1. Would like another month to think about it in hopes it will be safe...what are your thoughts regarding travel in July?

I was just out for a walk and was walking near the tracks in downtown Orlando. I was pleased to see the northbound Silver Meteor (the same train on which I would have been traveling had my trip to NYC and BOS been canceled due to coronavirus). It appeared that the consist was "normal." Assuming I counted accurately, there were 2 engines, 3 coaches, cafe, sleeper lounge, 3 sleeper, baggage.

I have a bus group of that I have reserved 10 roomettes and 4 bedrooms plus some coach seating. can't seem to get Amtrak to extend our cutoff date...we depart on July 3...we have to make a decision to cancel with full refund by April 1. Would like another month to think about it in hopes it will be safe...what are your thoughts regarding travel in July?
If I were in your shoes, and this is my opinion only, I would cancel to keep from losing all of that money. With the number of rooms you listed you stand to lose a considerable amount of money if you don't. Others may not be as risk-aversive as I am but that's my opinion. Other opinions may vary but that’s mine and it is based on a costly wrong guess I made a couple of years back involving some group travel.

If I were in your shoes, and this is my opinion only, I would cancel to keep from losing all of that money. With the number of rooms you listed you stand to lose a considerable amount of money if you don't. Others may not be as risk-aversive as I am but that's my opinion. Other opinions may vary but that’s mine and it is based on a costly wrong guess I made a couple of years back involving some group travel.
Ditto! Sound advice!!!

Have you tried asking for a supervisor when calling 1-800-USA-RAIL?

I was just out for a walk and was walking near the tracks in downtown Orlando. I was pleased to see the northbound Silver Meteor (the same train on which I would have been traveling had my trip to NYC and BOS been canceled due to coronavirus). It appeared that the consist was "normal." Assuming I counted accurately, there were 2 engines, 3 coaches, cafe, sleeper lounge, 3 sleeper, baggage.
But how many passengers is the question!

The Ethan Allen Express also appears to be cancelled.

That means the following route segments will now be without any Amtrak train service:
1. Chicago, IL-Grand Rapids, MI (Pere Marquette)
2. Everett, WA-Vancouver, BC (Cascades)
3. Montreal, QC-Schenectady, NY (Adirondack)
4. Niagara Falls, NY-Toronto, ON (Maple Leaf)
5. Philadelphia, PA-Pittsburgh, PA (Keystone Service and Pennsylvanian)
6. Rutland, VT-Schenectady, NY (Ethan Allen Express)
7. Springfield, MA-St. Albans, VT (Vermonter)
Holyoke, Northampton, and Greenfield, MA will still have a daily Valley Flyer round trip (northern extension of Hartford Line/Springfield shuttle 400 series train.) so it’s Greenfield - St. Albans with no service.

as Day beers hinted, I’d give them a call and see if there’s a way you could get a one month extension to your deadline of canceling (and tell them you will cancel if they can not accommodate it.) I am holding off on canceling a June cross country trip because of the amount of planning that went into it, but I have additional time as the current cutoff is April 30....if the situation doesn’t improve I would hope Amtrak extends that deadline and doesn’t penalize folks that are trying to hold on to their reservations to see what happens.

I think the long distance service will run until directed otherwise federally. To be honest I think part of this is the agreement employees and trying to keep as many working as possible. The more workers in any industry that have to go on furlough or are laid off the harder it is going to be to recover from this economically. From a taxpayer impact and profit point of view yes it probably makes sense to suspend ALL of Amtrak right now...you can’t even argue right now that the Northeast Corridor is essential right now you are seeing some northeast regionals running with two coaches. I would imagine highway traffic is at an all time low and all the commuter carriers are also still running. I think this is really more about maintaining some level of operation so the company doesn’t have to completely shut down and furlough everyone.

Observations from the Flagstaff webcam:

No 3, March 25:
Sleeper passengers: One off, None on
Coach passengers: 9 off, 6 on

No. 4, March 26:
Sleeper passengers: None off, three on
Coach passengers: 2 off, 2 or 3 on
No. 4 had only one sleeper. Baggage car was on the rear.

Back