Covid-19: How satisfactory is Amtrak cleaning?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferroequinologist

Lead Service Attendant
A California hotel manager told me that after a guest leaves they must THOROUGHLY clean and disinfect the room, then leave it vacant for a couple of days (3 days? I forget how long) so that any germs disperse. What is Amtrak doing, especially in sleepers? Once cleaned is the car sent right back into service? Or do they let it sit for a couple of days/

My sleeping car rooms in April and May had food and other filth in them; Lysol and some scrubbing turned multiple paper towels brown.

I don't know how Amtrak currently sanitizes their trains. I also don't know how the motels/hotels in this area sanitizes their rooms.

There was a piece on the news a couple months ago about how the fire department sanitizes their vehicles - this includes the EMT and fire vehicles. They use a device that produces something between a "fog" and "smoke". It is "sprayed" into all areas of the vehicle. It does not require any time to "rest" (they do not have to let their truck sit for two or three days) before they can use the vehicles again. Once the fog/smoke/mist subsides - all surfaces and equipment is ready for use and is completely sanitized.

This would seem to be the quickest and best way for Amtrak to use in their trains. It does not require any wiping of surfaces of worry about missing a spot. The fumes cover everything. They seep into hidden areas when properly applied - and - it only takes a few minutes to sanitize this way.

That does not mean that Amtrak should not "clean" the rooms - just that there is already a way for exceptional sanitization that does not rely on "wiping" all surfaces.

A California hotel manager told me that after a guest leaves they must THOROUGHLY clean and disinfect the room, then leave it vacant for a couple of days (3 days? I forget how long) so that any germs disperse.

Corvid-19 is a virus, not a germ nor bacteria. Being a virus, it isn't really alive to begin with, and therefore, is difficult to kill. One really has to disassemble a virus to inactivate it.

I personally, have a lot of concern since places are "merely" killing germs and bacteria by disinfecting the area, and honestly think their place is now 100% safe.

Corvid-19 is a virus, not a germ nor bacteria. Being a virus, it isn't really alive to begin with, and therefore, is difficult to kill. One really has to disassemble a virus to inactivate it.

I personally, have a lot of concern since places are "merely" killing germs and bacteria by disinfecting the area, and honestly think their place is now 100% safe.
A Google search says that the term "germ" includes viruses. One source says, "The term “germs” refers to the microscopic bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa that can cause disease. "

Be that as it may, I heard some TV doctors say on the news that breaching the virus' outer shell "kills" it. That's what washing with soap or alcohol does. So I would assume some other types of disinfectant do the same. I suppose it just depends on your definition of "disinfecting."

And what about booking a room multiple times in succession? I board the Silver Star in the middle of its run (NC). What about the people who were in the room before me on that very same trip? No way to completely disinfect the room while the train is en route.

jb

And what about booking a room multiple times in succession? I board the Silver Star in the middle of its run (NC). What about the people who were in the room before me on that very same trip? No way to completely disinfect the room while the train is en route.

jb

Just how thorough is the attendant going to be?

Big difference between a good surface cleaning, and disinfecting an area. I would not expect that AMTRAK has provided an attendant to be trained for, equipped for, or given the proper PPE to do this particular job. Hopefully, the same way as they are selling 50% capacity in coach, they are not reselling rooms enroute. But I don't have any idea what they are doing with the sleepers.

Back