Covid Conditions at Major Amtrak stations: A suggestion to administrators.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a few thoughts on this after my trip on the Lake Shore Limited last week. Though I did not check the food court, Union station and the metropolitan lounge seemed pretty normal to me. It was not crowded. Penn station had areas blocked off with metal barriers that are used for crowd control. They were in front of some of the fast food places, and the exit to 33rd and 8th avenue. Access to the A,C,E seemed to be blocked by the barriers too.

I was thinking that as other people thought about or planned travel they might want to know what the conditions are at the major stations. What is open and what is not open. Operational or procedural changes.

I could see people benefitting from information like this for New York Penn, Boston South Station, Philadelphia 30th street, and Washington, D.C. Union station in the east. In the midwest New Orleans, St. Louis and Chicago might be of interest. Out west, Los Angeles Union Station, Emeryville, Portland, and Seattle.

My suggestion is that three threads be pinned at the top of the Amtrak Rail Discussion forum. One for the east coast, one for midwest, and one for west coast. People could add to the threads as they pass through the stations.

At Chicago Union Station, the Great Hall and most of the Food Court is closed. Also, although it isn't related to the virus, it's also worth noting that digital boards have been installed on the south platforms, similar to those on other stations across the network. However they have not yet been activated. For those unfamiliar of what I am describing, I attached a picture of the same type of board from the station in Jacksonville.

I have also been to Washington Union Station over the past few weeks. Most seats have been removed and businesses inside the station are mostly closed. The west end of the station building was also blocked off when I was there.

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_224937349.jpg
    IMG_20200529_224937349.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4
I could see people benefitting from information like this for New York Penn, Boston South Station, Philadelphia 30th street, and Washington, D.C. Union station in the east. In the midwest New Orleans, St. Louis and Chicago might be of interest. Out west, Los Angeles Union Station, Emeryville, Portland, and Seattle.
I've only been on the platform at St. Louis, but it's only 4 tracks, 2 platforms. It didn't seem like the attached waiting room area was very large. Do they have many businesses in the station to close? Do they have enough alternate entrances and exits to be able to close some?

I've been to Emeryville, and even though it's the terminus of the California Zephyr, it's otherwise not much more than a whistle stop for the Capitol Corridor trains. The station has a nice waiting room, but it's pretty small and I don't remember any businesses inside the station.

I've been in Los Angeles Union Station, and there didn't seem to be a lot of services there, either.

Even my home station Baltimore, despite fact that it's in the top 10 of Amtrak boardings, only has a Dunking Donuts, a bar/coffee shop and a newstand inside the station.

I've never been to either Portland or Seattle.

Generally these are just places to wait for your train. The only stations that are really big terminals with all sorts of services are Boston South Station, New York Penn, Philadelphia 30th St., Washington Union Station, and Chicago Union Station. These are also major commuter rail terminals as well. So is Los Angeles, and I'm not sure why they don't have more businesses there catering to commuters.

If they closed the Great Hall, where do passengers wait?🤔 Every mention I’ve seen says that is the new and only waiting room for departures!
The passageway to the Great Hall under Canal Street is still open, but all trains are now boarding from the boarding lounges. Even prior to the virus, early morning and late night trains boarded from there rather than the Great Hall.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_180835225.jpg
    IMG_20200516_180835225.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 8
Back