CPKC and Amtrak. A possibility?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the latest Trains Magazine article on the KCS and CP merger. What if, as part of its approval process of the CP and KCS merger, the STB required that the new company provide Amtrak with access to run trains between Meridian and Dallas and NOL and Dallas?

The Crescent w/o having to fight NS for a new train, could have two components with sleepers and coach continuing from Meridian to Dallas with one sleeper and coach going to NOL. This would provide continuous single train service between NYC and NOL or Dallas while helping Amtrak justify the sleepers after Atlanta because now there is little use of them beyond Atlanta.

Possibly the NOL to Dallas could be used to extend the proposed NOL to Mobile route.

This could be an interesting court or arbitration case. The outcome would not be a foregone conclusion. A Meridian - Shreveport train could be faster than the old ICRR train, as the line now has signals. However, if a faster speed were to be used, ALL the grade crossing signal circuits would have to be lengthened, and you better bet that would be an Amtrak cost, not a KCS/CP cost.

At one time in the past there was a proposed New Orleans - Baton Rouge train and KCS was most emphatically against it, so I would not expect them to be cooperative about a Meridian - Shreveport train, and then how do you get from there to Dallas? UP?

Since many of the crossing circuits have been installed in the last 10 - 15 years they may already have predictor circuits instead of fixed distance approach circuits ?

I was looking at the latest Trains Magazine article on the KCS and CP merger. What if, as part of its approval process of the CP and KCS merger, the STB required that the new company provide Amtrak with access to run trains between Meridian and Dallas and NOL and Dallas?
The focus by passenger rail advocates on getting concessions from this deal has actually been on Baton Rouge to NOL (where KCS is the preferred route)

Since many of the crossing circuits have been installed in the last 10 - 15 years they may already have predictor circuits instead of fixed distance approach circuits ?
I would expect so. Fixed warning time signals for grade crossings are pretty nearly standard for new installs or replacements at this point.

So is this really a possibility, they always play with emotions on doing trains to different areas then say nope, ain’t gonna happen. Lol

If one believes the frequent posture of the current Amtrak CEO, this will happen only if Texas and or the other states it will pass through funds it or Congress appropriates fund with a clear instruction that a three year old can understand instructing its introduction. Not otherwise. 🤷‍♂️

If one believes the frequent posture of the current Amtrak CEO, this will happen only if Texas and or the other states it will pass through funds it or Congress appropriates fund with a clear instruction that a three year old can understand instructing its introduction. Not otherwise. 🤷‍♂️
The current Amtrak CEO is not particularly competent. Once the new Board gets in place, we shall see who they hire. Have to get the new Board mandated by the most recent legislation in place, though, as the existing Board are seatwarmers.

Yes. For the past five decades I've wondered why some Class I's feel the need to be openly antagonistic to preliminary proposals for new Amtrak services. There are so many other obstacles that pop up and their open activities have no effects on actual negotiations or STB actions anyway.

With that, I should note the retirement of BNSF's D. J. Mitchell. He is a real gentleman and put up with many hypothetical questions in his years of responsibility for passenger service agreements. He kept up on foreign developments, too. He raised businesslike issues in discussions. Some years ago, I met the UP's counterpart. She came from the SP in their merger, and in tone and message reminded me of the SP.

Back