Craziest Drama on Amtrak you've seen?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of things come to mind....

Back in the 80's, shortly after Amtrak took over the T&E crews from the host freight railroads, Amtrak 'inherited' one particular former D&RGW conductor (won't mention his name), on the Zephyr run between Denver and Grand Junction. This conductor must 'hold the record' for passenger ejections, as more than half his trips, I kid you not, he had the railroad special agents waiting at Denver for No. 6, to remove someone...not aware of

how many going west....

Another story for the Zephyr.....A player on the Denver Broncos NFL team had developed a very severe form of claustrophobia (similar to what John Madden ailed from), and could no longer get aboard an airliner.

So the Bronco's tried to send him to SFO by train....see the story....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1988/10/09/claustrophobia-hits-massie-again/ce133c3d-90cb-44fb-b043-23c834f9a7b9/?utm_term=.085c7a12351c

If you've already done something such that law enforcement gets involved, I think its a safe assumption common sense was lacking to begin with.
This seems to be a case of someone typing before thinking.
No, not at all. Persons with common sense don't behave in such a manner that would call for the involvement of law enforcement.
It's hard for me to imagine what kind of life leads to a view so devoid of nuance and so impervious to introspection.

Then there was the situation on a NEC train at Wilmington. I'm still not sure what precipitated it, but from what I could tell, I believe a male passenger fondled his seatmate.
If he fondled his seatmate, he should not have been offered a refund, and he should have been arrested.
That's a pretty big qualifier to resolve in the heat of the moment with little or no objective evidence. As a male I'm especially mindful of the fact that appeals to emotional vengeance can be leveraged as their own devastating weapon. Did the author actually witness any of this? Because as written it sounds like vague hearsay intended to appeal to mob logic.

Many of the posts in this thread are little more than a giddy retelling of misdeeds perpetrated by seemingly miserable travelers leading to immense satisfaction at having witnessed the impending punishment of a complete stranger. Which is fine if that's the sort of thing that floats your boat, but it's not the sort of story I'd be inclined to carry into a police station or courtroom.

We were on a sold-out Southwest Chief, traveling the week of Christmas, so The LSA kindly explained that the meals are included in the sleeper passengers' fare, so they get priority, and then Coach is more of a first-come, first-serve. The LSA even explained that she tries to rotate which Coach car she visits first, so that it's fair throughout the journey. She also mentioned that if the lady would like to ensure a reservation for the next meal, she could sit in the lounge car when the reservation process was announced and flag down the LSA as she passed through the lounge on her way to the coaches.
I think the LSA's explanation beats around the bush. First of all, it's not first come, first served when the only "coming" is done by the server, not the passenger, who might just be riding in the wrong coach. Secondly, first come, first serve implies the order in which one is served, not whether they will be serviced or not.

A more honest explanation would be that we decide when we close the diner and if that leaves you out, tuff-a-roonies.

Also, on a recent SWC trip it was announced that if you wanted a reservation, someone in your party had to return to your room or seat, since reservations would not be take in the SSL. Oh well, make it up as you go along.

This scenario reminds me of a trip returning from Florida in January of 1979. This was before sleeper meals paid for and before reservations for supper were taken. You lined up first in the narrow passage alongside the kitchen, then in the vestibule, then in the next car, etc. We finally were served around midnight. No turning people away.

Incidentally, the SWC trip I mentioned bracketed Thanksgiving and there were 3 sleepers + transdorm and 4 coaches. WB only one side of the diner was open. EB both sides were open, but there was only one server in addition to the LSA. Everyone got served and service was a little better than normal.

That's a pretty big qualifier to resolve in the heat of the moment with little or no objective evidence. As a male I'm especially mindful of the fact that appeals to emotional vengeance can be leveraged as their own devastating weapon. Did the author actually witness any of this? Because as written it sounds like vague hearsay intended to appeal to mob logic.
Fair enough. I should not have been so blunt (I blame typing quickly during a break). If the victim didn't push the issue, then removing the person from the train was the best they could do.

We were on a sold-out Southwest Chief, traveling the week of Christmas, so The LSA kindly explained that the meals are included in the sleeper passengers' fare, so they get priority, and then Coach is more of a first-come, first-serve. The LSA even explained that she tries to rotate which Coach car she visits first, so that it's fair throughout the journey. She also mentioned that if the lady would like to ensure a reservation for the next meal, she could sit in the lounge car when the reservation process was announced and flag down the LSA as she passed through the lounge on her way to the coaches.
I think the LSA's explanation beats around the bush. First of all, it's not first come, first served when the only "coming" is done by the server, not the passenger, who might just be riding in the wrong coach. Secondly, first come, first serve implies the order in which one is served, not whether they will be serviced or not.
That was poor wording on my part. It should have been first-approached, first-given-any-available-reservations.
default_tongue.png

On my very first Roomette booking from Tucson to LAX I boarded a slightly late Sunset Limited. I was told by the SCA that they had saved a steak for me and I was to

go to the dining room. I was the only customer in the DC as everyone else had been served before the train got to Tucson.

Within a minute after my plate was served, smoke came billowing out of the kitchen. They gave me a cover for my plate and I took it back to my roomette.

I did get a good desert delivered by the SCA after I gave him the plate back. I got the last food served on that train that night.

I did see someone thrown off the CZ in Granby CO. He claimed an inner ear problem with high elevations and was talking about Denver being the 'mile high city'.

He was kicked off in Granby where the elevation was over 9000' for smoking an ecig out the window of the coach car main door.

I was on one train which was hit by a vehicle, the luggage car took the brunt of the collision. We heard the driver died. After a long delay we headed off to Chicago again. Amtrak put some senior guy aboard at a stop long before Chicago, and he was able to assist folk with onward connections. I heard he even arranged a plane ticket for some urgent case. That was the first and only night I got a hotel paid for by Amtrak.

Otherwise, I saw a drunk male fall down the stairs of the lounge car, and be removed by medics, and a smoker removed by a sherrif at a road crossing in the middle of nowhere. The sherrif drove a ford mustang, which I thought was kinda cool.
default_biggrin.png

I have met many interesting but less dramatic folk too!

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I boarded the Sunset Limited in LAX to go to Tucson. We left promptly on schedule late at night and pretty soon these younger ladies came frantically up the coach car griping that they were not suppose to be on the train. They were just seeing off a family member and decided to hang out on the train. I seem to remember them saying their car was either parked illegally or perhaps one of them had to be at work in a few minutes. Either way it was going to be a long and expensive taxi ride back to LAX from Pomona. The conductor certainly couldn't stop the train anywhere else. I remember them making announcements that the train was leaving soon.
default_smile.png

We have seen two people put off the train (different trips) and one that we are pretty sure was about to be (for smoking) but he was getting off at the next stop anyway.

The first was a man who was walking through the sleepers accusing people of stealing his stuff. When they couldn't locate him (but had his stuff), they made announcements that his stuff was being put off at the next stop and it he wanted it, he needed to get off the train too. There was some form of security waiting for him (could not tell if they were police officers).

The other was a woman who the car attendant knew from other trips and believed she had a mental ailment. But she said she usually travels with a companion. On this trip she was alone and I guess decided to make friends by joining other travelers in their rooms (multiple complaints). We were a couple rooms down when the conductor started talking to her outside her room saying she needed to stop. I guess she went in the room and locked the door because the conductor was pounding on the door and trying to talk to her through the door. She was yelling and screaming about how she didn't do anything, that the people were just borrowing her wifi hotspot, etc. Then after they said she was being put off at the next stop, she started crying, saying maybe should would be better off dead, etc. Needless to say, there were two police officers waiting for her at the next stop.

I once witnessed someone who had such a bad stench they had to be removed from the train. The conductor was (as kindly as he can) trying to explain to this person why they had to be removed, to a response of screaming. It wasn't even coherent screaming, just a lot of curse words (I think) mushed into words.

Also, when I was on the Southwest Chief with Shanghai for my wonderful Birthday trip, we hit a semi. I was about to walk through the doors in between cars, and the emergency break almost sent me head first into the door in front of me. I caught myself on the walls.

On 97 last night somewhere near Indiantown about 20 minutes from WPB, we were stopped ( apparently a freight in front of us declared an emergency and we had to wait until they were able to clear the tracks).

In any event, shortly after we stopped, a woman in the roomette across from us started screaming for help. I went over and the woman was screaming for me to help her while her husband sat calmly across from her. I got her to unlock the door and she came out with nothing apparently wrong but complaints about seeing things etc. the husband said he couldn’t do anything to calm her down.

The attendant, conductor an some others came and got her to go to the dining car with them and eventually got her calmed down.

The crew really did a great job in handling he situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing. Zip. Zero. Well... One little funny thing. In the diner once, there was a young lady who seemed very much out of her ever loving mind sitting at my table. She poured over the menu and looked up and down and read every word, complaining about the price of EVERYTHING. Then she orders the most expensive item on the menu. And a drink. And a dessert. Then, when the LSA comes around to collect for the meal, she says, "Does the name on the credit card have to be mine?"

On the other hand, I put my daughter on a train ONCE and she gets to see someone get booted for being drunk. Traitor.

In any event, shortly after we stopped, a woman in the roomette across from us started screaming for help. I went over and the woman was screaming for me to help her while her husband sat calmly across from her. I got her to unlock the door and she came out with nothing apparently wrong but complaints about seeing things etc. the husband said he couldn’t do anything to calm her down. The attendant, conductor an some others came and got her to go to the dining car with them and eventually got her calmed down.
What sort of visions did she believe she was seeing? Why was the husband so calm and indifferent about it? If I was married to someone who saw things weird enough to scream at strangers about it I'd either be taking her to a doctor or calling my lawyer. You'd have to be your own kind of crazy to just sit there watching it happen.

I think he was afraid of being accused of harming her if he did anything. She was totally non rational, seeing things on the walls, her hands etc. No able to tell anyone what exactly it was.

The train staff did a marvelous job of getting her calmed down.

The husband was having a hard time of it and obviously, didn’t know what to do.

My wife, a nurse, suggests that the woman displayed Classic symptoms of schizophrenia.

Again kudos to the attendant, Easton, and the Conductor and a couple of others for getting matters handled especially under the circumstances where we were stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

In any event, shortly after we stopped, a woman in the roomette across from us started screaming for help. I went over and the woman was screaming for me to help her while her husband sat calmly across from her. I got her to unlock the door and she came out with nothing apparently wrong but complaints about seeing things etc. the husband said he couldnt do anything to calm her down. The attendant, conductor an some others came and got her to go to the dining car with them and eventually got her calmed down.
What sort of visions did she believe she was seeing? Why was the husband so calm and indifferent about it? If I was married to someone who saw things weird enough to scream at strangers about it I'd either be taking her to a doctor or calling my lawyer. You'd have to be your own kind of crazy to just sit there watching it happen.
Actually, my wife is like that when I have one of my nervous breakdowns. They dont happen often, but...

When you love someone as they are, and they have a problem like this, the only thing you really can do is learn to shut down when this sort of thing happens. I know when this sort of thing happens to me, there is nothing that really can be done to stop it. Or wasnt until I found a miracle drug called risparadone, which seems to stop them within a few minutes of consumption.

But the point is there is nothing my wife could do to stop it; and with that in mind, insisting that she looks like she is trying too is too much to ask. Honestly, especially a few years ago when they were bad, putting up with them at all was too much to ask. But I am a very lucky man.

In 2006 when I returned from SEA to CHI, I was in the lower level. There were only a few of us there, and we all had seats to ourselves. One of the pax was a man who told me he had been a sheriff in some little town and had to shoot someone. It bothered him to the extent that he quit his job. After telling me his story, he told others the same thing. Gradually, he and a lady started talking back and forth to each other. Gradually, they sat next to each other. Gradually, they went up to the lounge and had a few drinks. This rapid fire romance was interesting to watch as they cuddled and kissed each other. Getting closer to Chicago, they started making plans on meeting up the following day. Then it was announced that the train was going to be quite late. She broke down crying hysterically and carrying on because she would miss her connecting train and her husband was supposed to pick her up at her end location. I had to pick up my jaw off the floor.

When you love someone as they are, and they have a problem like this, the only thing you really can do is learn to shut down when this sort of thing happens. I know when this sort of thing happens to me, there is nothing that really can be done to stop it.
Even if you can't stop it you can try to explain what's going on to the people trying to assist. Imagine if this sudden psychotic episode happened during a border scan or drug sweep when armed law enforcement were passing through looking for signs of unusual or suspicious activity. Innocent people have been accidentally shot and killed for less than this. Better safe than sorry.

That would work marvelously. "Don't mind him; he's just having a panic attack/nervous breakdown." That is sure to calm onlookers.

(Thankfully, these things have always happened in private.)

That would work marvelously. "Don't mind him; he's just having a panic attack/nervous breakdown." That is sure to calm onlookers. (Thankfully, these things have always happened in private.)
The most helpful thing would seem to be something along the lines of "I know this looks extremely concerning right now but she has a history of similar episodes in the past. It's not possible to reason with her right now but she will eventually calm down and recover her senses if everyone maintains a non-confrontational attitude." Or you can simply make a snide attempt at glib sarcasm and hope for the best.

Wowie Wow Wow - Aren't you glad none of these happened on a PLANE!!!!!

As an ultra-regular on the AutoTrain - I (mistakenly) say "I've seen it all" on every trip ----- only to be proven WRONG!!!!! LOL

Yes - seen the broken arms falling outtta the top bunk, the emergency stops for death, the delays passing the charred out cinders of a hit car(? or truck or van) ...

I pack the liquor 1st, if there's room for clothes so-be-it. Met people in the nearby bedrooms and have a happy hour (think I had 5 in my room!). Someone passing by said "Did I hear you say Lemoncello?" I said "yes- the cover charge is you go get us a bucket of ice!". Well...bedded down for the nite. Woke up and saw myself in the mirror (the mirrored wall between bedrooms). ONLY - it WASN'T --- it was the guy next door. The (unlocked) wall OPENED during the nite!!!!!!! I tactfully closed the wall and we had a great LOL the next morning. NOTE: I now check the wall and I bring WD-40 and 2 rubber door stops.

That would work marvelously. "Don't mind him; he's just having a panic attack/nervous breakdown." That is sure to calm onlookers. (Thankfully, these things have always happened in private.)
The most helpful thing would seem to be something along the lines of "I know this looks extremely concerning right now but she has a history of similar episodes in the past. It's not possible to reason with her right now but she will eventually calm down and recover her senses if everyone maintains a non-confrontational attitude." Or you can simply make a snide attempt at glib sarcasm and hope for the best.
my mother always told me, do what you do best.

Wowie Wow Wow - Aren't you glad none of these happened on a PLANE!!!!!

As an ultra-regular on the AutoTrain - I (mistakenly) say "I've seen it all" on every trip ----- only to be proven WRONG!!!!! LOL

Yes - seen the broken arms falling outtta the top bunk, the emergency stops for death, the delays passing the charred out cinders of a hit car(? or truck or van) ...

I pack the liquor 1st, if there's room for clothes so-be-it. Met people in the nearby bedrooms and have a happy hour (think I had 5 in my room!). Someone passing by said "Did I hear you say Lemoncello?" I said "yes- the cover charge is you go get us a bucket of ice!". Well...bedded down for the nite. Woke up and saw myself in the mirror (the mirrored wall between bedrooms). ONLY - it WASN'T --- it was the guy next door. The (unlocked) wall OPENED during the nite!!!!!!! I tactfully closed the wall and we had a great LOL the next morning. NOTE: I now check the wall and I bring WD-40 and 2 rubber door stops.
I hope my plane never hits anything while I'm in it... Don't exactly hold up as well as a train.

Nothing. Zip. Zero. Well... One little funny thing. In the diner once, there was a young lady who seemed very much out of her ever loving mind sitting at my table. She poured over the menu and looked up and down and read every word, complaining about the price of EVERYTHING. Then she orders the most expensive item on the menu. And a drink. And a dessert. Then, when the LSA comes around to collect for the meal, she says, "Does the name on the credit card have to be mine?"

On the other hand, I put my daughter on a train ONCE and she gets to see someone get booted for being drunk. Traitor.
I had something vaguely similar happen: One time I was in the diner and the person assigned to sit with me went over the menu in painful detail, grumbling about the price and then asking if this ingredient or that ingredient could be removed from the pasta (since they were trying to be cheap...and succeeding!). Eventually they took the LSA's nudging and went to the cafe, while I smiled and placed my order. No real drama, but...

Back