Crazy Idea?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief
So I have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday off this coming week. No school or work. I've been thinking about taking a train ride, but Tri-Rail is just a tease, and I've been everywhere on Amtrak in Florida. The furthest I've been on Amtrak is from West Palm to Savannah. I've been thinking about taking a trip from S. Florida to Philadelphia on 98 (arrive at 9:30 am), then come back the same day on 91 (leave at 12:35 pm). Obviously 3 hours is really cutting it close for LD trains, but there is also 97 leaving at 4:58 pm. Obviously I run the risk of no space available, but price isn't a problem since I plan on using AGR points. Too crazy of a trip with a quick turnaround, or worth it for a rail nut? :p

I think you should do it. I also have Tues, Wed, and Thurs off next week, and I've been looking at random connections in warm cities. I want to feel 50+ degrees, even if it's only for a couple of hours.

It's been warm here (well warmer than normal :p ), so I guess I'm looking for the opposite.

I'm also considering changing in Baltimore. 5.5 hours between 98 and 91. A little more breathing room.

You might consider doing your turn in Washington DC! Arrive early on the Meteor/spend a nice day in a fascinating City where most attractions are Free! Then overbite back to Florida!Lots of us do trips like this/"normal" people don't get it but we do! Go for it! Since its AGR u get the seat or room no matter what it costs/same amount of points!

I thought about DC, but I've been there/done that and I kind of want a little taste of the NEC. I suppose I could always take a MARC train down to DC if Baltimore isn't doing it for me.

Think I'll sleep on it and call AGR first thing in the morning. Amtrak shows only 3 rooms left on 98. Hopefully it's not fully booked by then.

Keep an eye on the weather. There is yet another storm predicted for the northeast Monday. It is still too early to have a firm forecast as to how much snow, ice, rain, and where, but something is definitely coming in early next week and the models are showing some impressive water-equivilant precipitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baltimore is cool too! Book it ASAP! Florida trains are Very Popular this time of year! And u get the Rez on AGR no matter the cost!keep us posted!

I have taken "day" trips to both WAS and PHL from Orlando - usually for NTD. Each time I took 98 up and 97 down.

I thought about DC, but I've been there/done that and I kind of want a little taste of the NEC. I suppose I could always take a MARC train down to DC if Baltimore isn't doing it for me.

Think I'll sleep on it and call AGR first thing in the morning. Amtrak shows only 3 rooms left on 98. Hopefully it's not fully booked by then.
If you have not been on the NEC, you should try to take it up to Philly if you can. Long stretch of higher speed running between Baltimore & Wilmington. Check out 30th St station. Could even take SEPTA round trip (very short trip) from the upper level to Market East if you have time. Your Amtrak ticket allows you a free trip between 30th St and Market East in downtown Philly. 30th Street station also has a Club Acela you can use if you are a sleeper passenger.

Made the reservation to Philadelphia. Leaving Hollywood the 4th on 98, and returning on 91. I plan on taking Tri-Rail to Hollywood (more train time :giggle: ). Hopefully everything runs close to schedule, but I guess I can hop out beforehand if it starts to get too close. Cool heads up about SEPTA.

Will keep an eye on the weather. I see rain/snow is in the forecast. I've never been in snow before, so hopefully it's still on the ground when I get there. Err....Tuesday night low of 13 degrees. Coldest I've ever been in is 27 degrees. :eek:

Book the trip to Philadelphia, but if things get tight, bail out at Washington, Baltimore or Wilmington. And definitely bring a parka. It's been a rough winter that shows no signs of stopping.

13 is balmy up here this year. :D

It's 10 right now in Philly.
:eek:

I have a jacket, but I think I might need a parka! It's going to be in the 80's here all week.
As a Floridian, who spent MLK weekend in the northeast (before it got really cold), I would bring a coat, hat, gloves, boots, scarf, thermal underwear, etc. (BTW, it is cold in Orlando right now - 48)

You can always short turn, I'd imagine. I'd do it.
Apropos the discussion about auto-cancellation of tickets as no shows if they are not scanned, if you happen to be short turning, inform the Reservation guys that you are doing so, so that they can prevent the return reservation from getting blown away. The Conductor may be able to help you with this, or at least tell you what you need to do.

Jis beat me to it. Yes be sure to amend your res if you short turn. You do not want to get on the return train to find out your return trip was cancelled and/or your room was resold because you were a no-show!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before i joined the Navy I did a similar trip. I took the LSL from NYC to Chicago and the CL back to Washington with a regional added in to NYC. Long story short, you should take any Amtrak trip you can, regardless of the dangers or missed connections.

Traveler,

I cannot deny that I was extremely lucky to get the IRON HORSE (USS SCRANTON SSN -756) as my first boat. But even more than that, I was lucky to have a dad that love trains. My first trip was on the Silver Meteor back in the early 90's from Miami to New York, when the Tampa and Miami sections still met in Auborndale and and the conductor still yelled ALL-ABOARD before leaving the station.

Made the reservation to Philadelphia. Leaving Hollywood the 4th on 98, and returning on 91. I plan on taking Tri-Rail to Hollywood (more train time :giggle: ). Hopefully everything runs close to schedule, but I guess I can hop out beforehand if it starts to get too close. Cool heads up about SEPTA.

Will keep an eye on the weather. I see rain/snow is in the forecast. I've never been in snow before, so hopefully it's still on the ground when I get there. Err....Tuesday night low of 13 degrees. Coldest I've ever been in is 27 degrees. :eek:
If you have not seen 30th Street station before, you will be impressed. A major train station from the glory days of Penn Railroad which is still intact. If 98 is on schedule, you won't have much time to see much in Philly. As I wrote, you could make a quick turnaround trip on the SEPTA commuter trains to Market East station to get a taste of the rail transit system in Philly. But have to leave a time margin to get back to 30th St to catch 97.
As for the colder temperatures, I'm guessing you don't have cold weather gear. A pull-over hat and a t-shirt with long sleeves under your shirt as can be a big help in keeping warm.

Good luck.

Sounds like a fun trip. But do prepare for the weather. Winter Storm Watch out for our area( Ohio) on Sunday and Monday with possible 5-10" of snow. It will be on East Coast by Monday and Tuesday and then turning very cold again. Parkas and gloves a must :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back