Crescent 19 sold out on the 21st at 3:55 - Need ticket!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

megan

I need to get to Charlottesville, VA on the 21st and I have to leave after 3:30 pm( when my exam is over). The only train available after 3 is sold out. They told me to keep calling to check for cancellations, but I still do not have a ticket. If anyone with a flexible schedule is able to switch to the 2:10 Crescent 19 on Dec. 21st from Philadelphia, please let me know! I would greatly appreciate switching tickets with you.

Thank you!

Ouch. Good luck, but you're unlikely to get any takers: the 3:55 PM train is likely to be full of people heading further south, to Atlanta and places like that; it's the only one which goes further south than Lynchburg. Keep calling, they might possibly add an extra car to the train, though it's unlikely. It's a pity you can't take your exam early. You may have to travel on the 22nd, but the trains for that day are selling out fast too. You may have to find a bus route or rent a car.

Due to chronic underfunding by Congress, Amtrak doesn't have enough train cars, so at busy times, such as around Christmas, the trains are selling out far in advance. Unfortunately you've just run into this.

You can keep checking as cancellations do sometimes occur and overbooking levels are adjusted.

Is there any possible way that someone could pick you up in Richmond? There's still space available to Richmond on Friday afternoon.

As mentioned before, if you can stay over Friday night, there is currently space available on train 147 on Saturday at 1:33 p.m.

Thank you all very much for the replies - it is a medical school exam and they won't let me take it early. I may have to take the Saturday train - which is a good option, I was just hoping to get the extra time in with my sister.

I appreciate your prompt responses.

Hey Megan, this sounds like a good time to Go Greyhound! Take the 122 to Wasington then the 143 to Charlottsville. Even if a seat on the train opens up, you're looking at ridiculous fares since this is a LD train to New Orleans.

Megan, a few other options:

1). Take an Amtrak Regional from Philadelphia to Washington, DC and catch a greyhound bus out of DC to Charlottesville.

2). Take an Amtrak Regional from Philadelphia to Washington, DC and catch a VRE commuter train from DC to Manassas, VA if your sister can come pick you up. Manassas is about a 1 hr 45 min drive from Charlottesville.

I'd say that your best bet, however, is to do what one of the other posters suggested and take a regional train from Philadelphia to Richmond and have your sister pick you up from there. Richmond is about a 45 min-1 hr drive from Charlottesville, and it's all interstate highway.

Rafi

I'm going to echo the Richmond sentiment. There are several later-day trains to Richmond, depending on your flexibility:

1530 (3:30 PM): #82 is currently $62, or $55.80 with AAA (it drops to $52.70 with Student Advantage, but that's a semi-dedicated pay program; I recommend it if you do a decent amount of train travel, but not otherwise). Business Class is another $31; whether it is worth it is something that we all have differing opinions on.

1630 (4:30 PM): #88 is currently $120, or $108 with AAA/$102 with SA

1658 (4:58 PM): #98 is currently $120/$108/$102.

Of the options, #82 would be your best bet in terms of cost. If that doesn't work out, I would suggest #98 instead of #88. Yes, it gets you into Richmond a bit later, but it's an overnight train to Florida, which means that you get a far, far better seat (footrests, legrests, etc.) than you even get in BC on the Regional. In all fairness, it doesn't have on-board wi-fi, but it does have a full dining car in lieu of the Regionals' cafe if you can work a meal into your budget. The seat alone would seal the deal for me, but I'd seriously consider grabbing a proper meal on board if it fits your budget (there are sample menus available at Amtrak's website).

And don't mind Swadian...Philly-Charlottesville on a bus is longer than I suspect you'll be comfortable, especially given holiday traffic and the lack of any on-board food option for the 5-6 hour trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
To those suggesting Richmond, it is nowhere near CVS, and unless it is a day that the Cardinal operates, there is no public transportation between the two cities (that I know of).
"Near" is a relative term. In Virginia, if you're within an hour, you're local. So in this case, Charlottesville and Richmond are, in fact, nearby. As for how to get from Richmond to Charlottesville, the theory is that Megan's sister might be willing to pick her up, which would not be anything out of the ordinary for the Staples Mill station. Lots of Charlottesville-bound travelers get off in Richmond.

To those suggesting Richmond, it is nowhere near CVS, and unless it is a day that the Cardinal operates, there is no public transportation between the two cities (that I know of).
"Near" is a relative term. In Virginia, if you're within an hour, you're local. So in this case, Charlottesville and Richmond are, in fact, nearby. As for how to get from Richmond to Charlottesville, the theory is that Megan's sister might be willing to pick her up, which would not be anything out of the ordinary for the Staples Mill station. Lots of Charlottesville-bound travelers get off in Richmond.
In the_traveler's defense, Richmond to CVS is very, very far for a Rhode Islander. People in my neighborhood say that going to the Warwick mall is too far. It's like 5 or 10 miles away. But it requires driving on the highway. We can't even drive an hour and still be in the same state......

And in the midwest when we say we will take a "drive" it means a 4.5 hour ride from Chicago to a lake in Wisconsin ! and that is only for the day to go fishing!

JK

All of these options are very helpful. I do have extended family in Richmond - so my sister and I could get some holiday-family-rounds over with and still get the extra time together. Thanks, everyone!

I'm going to echo the Richmond sentiment. There are several later-day trains to Richmond, depending on your flexibility:

1530 (3:30 PM): #82 is currently $62, or $55.80 with AAA (it drops to $52.70 with Student Advantage, but that's a semi-dedicated pay program; I recommend it if you do a decent amount of train travel, but not otherwise). Business Class is another $31; whether it is worth it is something that we all have differing opinions on.

1630 (4:30 PM): #88 is currently $120, or $108 with AAA/$102 with SA

1658 (4:58 PM): #98 is currently $120/$108/$102.

Of the options, #82 would be your best bet in terms of cost. If that doesn't work out, I would suggest #98 instead of #88. Yes, it gets you into Richmond a bit later, but it's an overnight train to Florida, which means that you get a far, far better seat (footrests, legrests, etc.) than you even get in BC on the Regional. In all fairness, it doesn't have on-board wi-fi, but it does have a full dining car in lieu of the Regionals' cafe if you can work a meal into your budget. The seat alone would seal the deal for me, but I'd seriously consider grabbing a proper meal on board if it fits your budget (there are sample menus available at Amtrak's website).

And don't mind Swadian...Philly-Charlottesville on a bus is longer than I suspect you'll be comfortable, especially given holiday traffic and the lack of any on-board food option for the 5-6 hour trip.
Five to six hours on a bus is nothing, especially on the newly refurbed DL3s. I've had much more on an unrefurbed bus and had no problems with comfort. You also get that rest stop at Washington, so I don't know why anyone would complain.

Richmond to CVS is very, very far for a Rhode Islander. People in my neighborhood say that going to the Warwick mall is too far. It's like 5 or 10 miles away. But it requires driving on the highway. We can't even drive an hour and still be in the same state.
Wow. Where I live the next state over is around 300 miles to the East, 380 miles to the North, and 575 miles to the West. Seventy odd miles is "right next door" for us.

In the_traveler's defense, Richmond to CVS is very, very far for a Rhode Islander. People in my neighborhood say that going to the Warwick mall is too far. It's like 5 or 10 miles away. But it requires driving on the highway. We can't even drive an hour and still be in the same state......
Mrs. Ispolkom is from Rhode Island, and I've found that we have very different views of distance. The county I was born in is larger than Rhode Island, and she was staggered that my cousins' ranch in Montana is more than 20 miles from the nearest paved road.

Five to six hours on a bus is nothing, especially on the newly refurbed DL3s. I've had much more on an unrefurbed bus and had no problems with comfort. You also get that rest stop at Washington, so I don't know why anyone would complain.
Like notions of distance, tastes and notions of comfort differ. Five to six hours on a bus is easily two to three hours longer than I'd willingly endure. On the other hand, Wagner's Gotterdammerung is more than six hours long, and I have never found it too long, even in a less-than-comfortable seat. You might find that a bit long for an opera.

Care for another "it's all about perspective" story??? :p :giggle: The county I live in here in Eastern Washington is more than twice the size of Rhode Island; one can drive from the far northwest tip of the county to the far southeast tip of the county and cover nearly 100 miles. There are portions of the school district that I attended school at that are 60 miles apart from one another. And this for a high school whose enrollment is less than 90 students in four grades. As for the bus, if I chose to go to Seattle, for instance, I could catch the Thruway bus about 50 feet from my front door, ride to Spokane, an hour or so away, change buses, and be in Seattle about 8 or so hours. I don't want to! I'd rather drive the hour to Spokane and catch the Empire Builder. And I'd find sitting through an opera would be too long at about the six minute mark, much less six hours. ;) On the other hand, I've been known on several occasions to drive to Spokane to catch the high school state basketball tournament for the two smallest classifications according to enrollment which, on the first couple of days, entails basketball games starting at 9 am and lasting as late as 11PM (or even later). That entails watching 8 games throughout the day (or, because the tournament is held in a big arena in Spokane, with room enough for two courts laid end to end, boys one one court and girls on the other, one can, if they so choose, grab a seat in a strategic location so as to watch two games at a time). That's 14+ hours of basketball, with of course meal breaks, and such.

It's all about perspective. Each of us are unique and what appeals to one certainly doesn't another. I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest to anyone what they should like and not like. 5 or 6 hours on a bus IMHO, and ONLY IMHO, is way too long. I don't speak for anyone else in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back