Crescent 20 lost 4 hrs this weekend (2nd Dec 2014 weekend)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offroad437

Service Attendant
Looking back the last few days have been really nasty between Anniston and Atlanta north bound. With Saturday loosing over 4 hrs. Any word on a reason? We are taking this next month and if it is track work or something that will last I guess we can at least plan to be late.

Looking back the last few days have been really nasty between Anniston and Atlanta north bound. With Saturday loosing over 4 hrs. Any word on a reason? We are taking this next month and if it is track work or something that will last I guess we can at least plan to be late.
I can't answer about the delay but starting in January the Crescent will NOT run Mon- Thurs between New Orleans and Atlanta due to annual track work by NS on this route!

Hopefully your trip is scheduled Fri- Sun but expect delays during this period. No Alternate Transportation will be provided!

Train Orders had a post stating a freight train was "disabled" and they had to wait for another engine to come move it.

Yes we are traveling on Saturday. Let's hope they won't be too big of delays.

I can't answer about the delay but starting in January the Crescent will NOT run Mon- Thurs between New Orleans and Atlanta due to annual track work by NS on this route!
Hopefully your trip is scheduled Fri- Sun but expect delays during this period. No Alternate Transportation will be provided!
I saw a rail train and some MOW equipment here in Lincoln (between bhm and atn) yesterday headed that way. Don't know if they are just getting ready or if work has already started.
Still annoyed this happens annually and the freights run while Amtrak is cancelled. It only happens here as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Crescent route isn't the only one that has annual scheduled trackwork, All LD Routes do, but in the North it can't be done in the Winter due to the weather, so its done during the good weather months!

The Crescent route isn't the only one that has annual scheduled trackwork, All LD Routes do, but in the North it can't be done in the Winter due to the weather, so its done during the good weather months and Amtrak is affected more than the freight trains which continue to roll!

The Crescent route isn't the only one that has annual scheduled trackwork, All LD Routes do, but in the North it can't be done in the Winter due to the weather, so its done during the good weather months and Amtrak is affected more than the freight trains which continue to roll!
I guess I just don't notice it with other routes, seems like theirs coincide with special projects and aren't an annual occurrence.

A lot of the other lines are almost entirely double-tracked, usually with extra sidings; the work closes one track at a time, so the trains keep running. UP will shut the Moffatt tunnel line roughly once a year, though.

Ending when?

Yet Amtrak doesn't issue repeated exact service advisories (the EB detour mess notwithstanding)

Amtrak should put a note stating this in the timetable, and block off reservations as soon as the booking window opens.

Ending when?
Monday service resumes on President's Day, Feb. 16.

Unfortunately, I suspect the host railroads (NS in this case) do not give Amtrak enough advance warning as to *exactly* what weeks they are going to do the trackwork. That would be my guess as to why it isn't listed in the timetables which are printed 6 months in advance... even if Amtrak knows that it will be during January and February, if the schedule hasn't been nailed down to the day, it makes it hard to print it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back