Crescent Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GusTrain

Train Attendant
We are taking the Crescent from NOL to BHM in coach-about a 7 hour trip....I am used to longer distance travel in first class and considering upgrading to business class-but wondering what makes business class worth the $25/per person upgrade cost on this train.

Also, if we travel coach, are we able to get meals in the dining car? (Paying for them, of course)

If so, do we sign up somewhere to make a reservation from coach?

Thank you

I can only answer the coach question and yes. I annually take the Crescent to ATL (from NYP) and get dinner every time while in coach.

Typically a dining car attendant will come through and ask for anyone who wants a reservation. A few times I've simply walked in and waited for a table.

Since BC on this train is just a LD coach in a different part of train ( less traffic and probably fewer passengers), I would save the $50 and use it to pay for your meal in Dining car, which you should have no problem using...

The main thing in BC on 19/20 is that the car is ahead of the diner and sleepers, so it's quieter since the only people in there are BC pax. Generally no more than 15 or 20 pax so you could have a seat pair to yourself if you wish.

As far a dinner reservations, some crews do that, some don't and it may depend on the pax load, thus how busy they expect to be. Be aware that southbound there is only one seating at 5pm account of arrival in NOL.

On 20, breakfast is served on a first-come first-served basis shortly after leaving NOL. At that time you can ask the LSA about a lunch reservation. Having breakfast while crossing the Lake Ponchartrain causeway is an enjoyable experience. Have a nice trip.

Since BC on this train is just a LD coach in a different part of train ( less traffic and probably fewer passengers), I would save the $50 and use it to pay for your meal in Dining car, which you should have no problem using...
This is excellent advice, why pay $50 extra for such a short ride in a Coach when, as was said, you can use it to pay for a nice breakfast and lunch in the Diner.
Question: are BC Pax allowed to use the Magnolia Room at Union Station and get priority boarding with the Sleeper Pax ?

Last edited by a moderator:
One thought. If on the day before your trip only the high fare coach seats are left upgrade your ticket to BC. That way not so crowded ?

I rode the Crescent NOL-CVS in a roomette on 9/3. This was a Saturday, but there was no difficulty getting seating at any meal west of Atlanta. I had a table to myself at each meal. There was a vase of fresh flowers on every table in the 8400 car, but the vases outnumbered the customers at each of my sittings. Pretty sad, actually. Might be busier during the week, but I expect coach passengers would be served.

Note that breakfast didn't start until we got to Slidell, after the causeway crossing. Other crews may handle it differently.

Thanks, everyone! This is a short leg on an otherwise all-roomette trip totally round the country, (yes! This is our last big-points-chunk Guest Rewards Last Hurrah!) so I'll take the great advice & just stay in coach & use the saved cash for the dining car meals

After this, I expect with Guest Rewards 2 points, we will be pretty much sticking to the west coast...I am going to miss these big adventures!

Thank you again

I rode the Crescent NOL-CVS in a roomette on 9/3. This was a Saturday, but there was no difficulty getting seating at any meal west of Atlanta. I had a table to myself at each meal. There was a vase of fresh flowers on every table in the 8400 car, but the vases outnumbered the customers at each of my sittings. Pretty sad, actually. Might be busier during the week, but I expect coach passengers would be served.

Note that breakfast didn't start until we got to Slidell, after the causeway crossing. Other crews may handle it differently.
We rode from NOL to NYP on 8/23. No flowers, fresh or otherwise, nor vases were anywhere within sight. Seats were about 60% full. Plenty of room for more. Breakfast was served after leaving Slidell.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the flowers, as I was under the impression those had been discontinued as service cuts. They definitely were there on 9/3, though. I felt them to be sure they were real and not fake.

I don't remember seeing flowers on the earlier Crescent trip to New Orleans on 8/30-8/31.

Fake flowers were on the table in mid-July. I'm beginning to think that certain crews bring their own on board, and set them out.

I wonder why the BC car isn't positioned between the lounge and diner as on the CS. That way the BC passengers would not have to pass through the sleepers to get to the diner and lounge and there would be a bit less traffic in the aisle if you're a sleeper passenger.

I wonder why the BC car isn't positioned between the lounge and diner as on the CS. That way the BC passengers would not have to pass through the sleepers to get to the diner and lounge and there would be a bit less traffic in the aisle if you're a sleeper passenger.
that is where it is on the starlight, did you mean the crescent?

It may have to do with who is responsible for maintaining the car. If the Crew Rooms are primarily in the head sleeper, that attendant has fewer rooms to service, and may be responsible for Business Class as well.

When they began BC on 19/20 last spring, it was betwen the diner and the lounge. That did last long for two reasons:

1. There was a lot of foot traffic through the BC car from coach pax going to the diner, defeating the purpose of having the BC be a quieter car.
  2. When the pax load was heavier and the diner got backed up, the overflow would congregate in the BC car and sometimes not leave, again defeating the purpose of BC.

Rode from Greenville SC to WUS on Sept 9th the BC car was right behind the baggage car and they kept the door open between the cars most of the way and it was very noisy, the car had few riders in it. it should be behind the sleepers and in front of the diner.

On Business Class for the overnight LD trains, Amtrak should provide a blanket and pillow for all BC passengers. Bump the fare up to include this feature, and add a bit to justify the cost to the bean counters. Advertise as such and maybe more people would use the service. You are already running the car...make an effort to fill it up and distinguish overnight BC somewhat from coach. The SCA in the adjacent sleeper could provide the service. If an individual boards during the night the Conductor or AC could provide the blanket and pillow. Increase revenue by more passengers in BC, and make some money off the blanket and pillow.

On Business Class for the overnight LD trains, Amtrak should provide a blanket and pillow for all BC passengers. Bump the fare up to include this feature, and add a bit to justify the cost to the bean counters. Advertise as such and maybe more people would use the service. You are already running the car...make an effort to fill it up and distinguish overnight BC somewhat from coach. The SCA in the adjacent sleeper could provide the service. If an individual boards during the night the Conductor or AC could provide the blanket and pillow. Increase revenue by more passengers in BC, and make some money off the blanket and pillow.
Good idea...IIRC VIARAIL offered that service on their "Daynighter" coaches...

And Amtrak did at one time provide free pillows in long-distance coaches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back