Crescent Configuration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mediaman's post makes me wonder what platforms the Crescent uses. I took the Crescent to New Orleans years ago, and I didn't realize that it hadn't started at Union Station. I didn't notice going down to get to the platform, I thought it was on the same level as the NEC trains I have taken to Baltimore. How does the Crescent pull through WUS if it seems to be on the same level as tracks 1-21? I imagine tracks 22-29 must be lower than the non-through tracks but it didn't seem to be the case when I rode the Crescent. Or was I completely oblivious to the fact that I did in fact descend a level or two to board the Crescent?
For those of you not familiar with Washington Union Station, it has 20'some tracks that come down from the North and dead end at WUS. But it also has 7 or 8 tracks that go straight through WUS (on the East side of the station) so trains from NY can continue south to Alexandria and beyond. But the 7 or 8 through tracks would seem to be necessarily lower, in order to pass under Massachusetts Avenue. Or maybe the photos I have seen of the 1953 wreck have thrown my perception of the track heights off.

https://railfanguides.us/dc/map1/BnOTrackMap1.jpg
https://ghostsofdc.org/2012/06/21/runaway-train-union-station-1953/
Just returned from a trip on the Crescent. There were two coach cars followed by a cafe car, two sleepers, and a bag dorm. I boarded from the Moynihan Train Hall and the train started its run with only one sleeping car attendant, the second attendant did not board until Baltimore. The sleepers were full and both attendants were very visible and busy throughout the trip. Both also assisted passengers with luggage when leaving the train in Atlanta. We were were able to eat our Flex dining meals in the Cafe car, but they were served as if being delivered to our room, everything packaged up in a plastic bag. The cafe car attendant was very friendly and attentive. Coffee was available in the morning in the sleeper car, self serve from the coffee station, no juices but you could walk to the cafe car and get whatever you wanted.

Or was I completely oblivious to the fact that I did in fact descend a level or two to board the Crescent?
Sounds like you were completely oblivious to the fact that you did in fact descend a level to board the Crescent. ;)

Federal Express was on track 16 which is an upper level terminating track. It blew through the bumper post and then through the floor and the engine landed on the lower floor.

The Crescent runs typically on track 22-25 at the lower level since it arrives from and departs to the south through the First Street Tunnel to CP Virginia where it joins the freight line to then go over the Long Bridge into Virginia at RO interlocking.

Federal Express was on track 16 which is an upper level terminating track. It blew through the bumper post and then through the floor and the engine landed on the lower floor.
It it this?

1630089261067.png

Must have had some fun getting that locomotive out of the cellar and cleaning up the mess !
Did the crew survive this - looks like a survivable crash - cabs intact - doors not compromised ?

Regarding that FedEx truck looks like it drove right off a dock - another fine mess - yuk yuk LOL !

Must have had some fun getting that locomotive out of the cellar and cleaning up the mess !
Did the crew survive this - looks like a survivable crash - cabs intact - doors not compromised ?

Regarding that FedEx truck looks like it drove right off a dock - another fine mess - yuk yuk LOL !
Yes, all passengers and crew survived. The locomotive was also repaired and was placed in a museum once it was finally retired a few decades after the crash.

Back