Crescent Configuration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious on what the reason was, that the dining car was taken off the train and if its going to be put back on in the future?

True, when I was on the Crescent last week we were in the rear on sleepers. I won’t be on until diner is restored. When I got off in Atlanta, because there was no baggage check then, I had to lug my luggage all the way to the depot.So sad, people older than myself waiting for help to get on the train and Amtrak workers getting off the train not helping, getting on the elevator with me. Not to say anything bad, but these were all young Amtrak workers.So sad

The Crescent doesn’t have a diner, but the Silvers both do?? That’s strange—considering The Crescent is about as long a route as the Meteor!

Evidently, there are not enough passengers who wish to partake of the downgraded service on the Crescent to fill more than one sleeper. Sad indeed.
And the awful change in departure time northbound in Atlanta, the biggest number of patrons. Add that to those that USED to get on in Greenville, Clemson and Charlotte, the first two probably taking alternate transportation and the last, along with cities like Greensboro, now taking the daytime Carolinian.

The Crescent doesn’t have a diner, but the Silvers both do?? That’s strange—considering The Crescent is about as long a route as the Meteor!
Crescent has always tended to be a step child. Part of the problem is the steep fall off of ridership south of Atlanta, which is not a new thing. Even Southern Crescent often operated only thrice a week south of Atlanta. That is very different from the robust ridership on the Atlantic Coast service on all three and a half trains on that route. Of the single level LD trains AFAICT they have Diner and Cafe on the top three ridership trains and Dinette on the two lower ridership trains. Length of the route has little to do with it since the LSL sports a Diner + Cafe and it has a relatively short route.

Crescent has always tended to be a step child. Part of the problem is the steep fall off of ridership south of Atlanta, which is not a new thing. Even Southern Crescent often operated only thrice a week south of Atlanta. That is very different from the robust ridership on the Atlantic Coast service on all three and a half trains on that route. Of the single level LD trains AFAICT they have Diner and Cafe on the top three ridership trains and Dinette on the two lower ridership trains. Length of the route has little to do with it since the LSL sports a Diner + Cafe and it has a relatively short route.
Good points, but up until the VII Diners arrived, the Crescent did have a Heritage Diner that served excellent meals in the tradition of the Southern RR.

The last time I rode the Crescent from NOL to NYP I had one of the Best Meals I've ever had on Amtrak,and the Train was full all the way to NYP.

No reason, except for poor Management, that the Cardinal,the Crescent and the other 2 Orphan Trains, the Eagle and the CONO,shouldn't have Traditional Dinning ( and Lounges and more Sleepers)with the Prices Amtrak is charging and the Surge in Sleeping Car ridership!

" Build it and they will come!" Field of Dreams

There were two sleeper cars on the consist when I rode it a few weeks ago. The train was 100% booked. A search on Amtrak.com shows trains at 90% capacity in the short term. And pretty much every railfan video I've seen on Youtube has it with two sleeper cars as well.

If there was only one sleeper car on a particular day, its far more likely that there was an equipment failure than an abrupt decision to cut an entire car off of an at capacity trainset. Not everything has to be pessimistic with regard to Amtrak.

There were two sleeper cars on the consist when I rode it a few weeks ago. The train was 100% booked. A search on Amtrak.com shows trains at 90% capacity in the short term. And pretty much every railfan video I've seen on Youtube has it with two sleeper cars as well.

If there was only one sleeper car on a particular day, its far more likely that there was an equipment failure than an abrupt decision to cut an entire car off of an at capacity trainset. Not everything has to be pessimistic with regard to Amtrak.
Two sleepers or a sleeper and a bag-dorm?

I'm still mystified why some trains have sleepers on the front and others on the rear.

It might have to do with less “whistle” noise as to why the sleepers are at the rear. I’ve noticed that on all the Silvers. The baggage car is the caboose so as to reduce rocking. I believe the Starlight has sleepers on front behind the baggage car and dorm.

The lack of checked baggage in Atlanta is account the elevator was damaged by a water main break and is under repair.
This isn't rocket science. Atlanta is an important station or so I thought. The solution is simply for Amtrak to hire a couple employees to carry baggage to and from the train. I realize there are stairs involved but this is hardly an insurmountable barrier since passengers have to do it with their carryon baggage.

I'm still mystified why some trains have sleepers on the front and others on the rear.
With the Empire Builder trains #27 (7) & #28 (8) it is simple the end cars always go to and from Portland and are switched/added at Spokane.

The mystery I have is the placement (consist) of the Baggage Car (EB behind the two locomotives) and yet as posted here at the END of others ?

And about the carting of the luggage to the train - well you don't see the airlines doing that to its customers small consideration to the TSA security !

Amtrak and Atlanta "WHAT PART OF CUSTOMER SERVICE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND" !!!!!

Back