Crescent days of operation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
Maybe I’m overthinking this, but am on a plane right now looking at upcoming reservations and noticed this. The 3 day schedule for the Crescent on Amtrak’s website shows it operating from New Orleans in Tuesday’s, Thursday’s, and Sunday’s. I have a ticket booked, however, leaving SATURDAY, the 30th......

Is the schedule wrong? Don’t want to show up and find out I’m on a bus or something. What gives, anyone know?

Fear not. I still see the Crescent operating from New Orleans on the 30th.

I can't make heads or tails. The Crescent runs on Saturday the 30th, Sunday the 31st, Cancelled on Wednesday the 3rd, multiple trains on Friday the 5th, and back to being scheduled on Saturday and Sunday. It's like the stupid Silver Meteor/Star schedules, only weirder.

Every January they do track work. A year ago I took the CONO from Chicago to New Orleans and was scheduled for the Crescent from NOL to DC the next day both sleepers. After I booked I got the notice of bustitution from NOL to Atlanta with an ungodly boarding time of 6AM. I called Amtrak and got rebooked on the CONO and Capitol Limited in a sleeper. I was looking forward to riding the Crescent to complete a circle trip,but no way was I going to ride a bus for twelve hours,!

I booked the trip two months in advance. i'm sure Amtrak was aware of the track work.

Thanks. This 3 day a week stuff has really messed me up. So many of my trips are on a plane, because I can’t make a connection, or have to leave days early, or stay a day or two longer to get home. I’m on a plane now, actually, because the train just couldn’t work for this trip. Really tired of it. If this is permanent, it’s just not going to be feasible to keep trying.

Ah, yes! The annual "Shut down Alabama and Mississippi during the winter weekday" thing.

The good news is that those going north from Atlanta or later cities will miss the typical two hour delay. For those of us who would board in Greenville, SC, we'd actually see an 11PM train at 11PM instead of 1AM or later which has happened to us virtually every time we take it.

Back