Crescent discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3rdg1rl

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I was looking to do a trip with my sister in February/March from WIL to NOL and that seems to work fine. Then I was looking for more information for her since it would be her first time on an LD train and she likes knowing about what to expect, where we will be, etc. On the Crescent page on Amtrak, it lists its terminus as PIC. Then I'm looking at the live maps and I don't see it running in either direction. Did I miss a memo somewhere?

So the Crescent does make the trip to New Orleans. Amtrak's IT department isn't the best and this is probably a screw up on their end. The two stations after PIC are Slidell (SDL) and New Orleans (NOL).

Attachments

• EA71B652-7C4B-4CC4-B59D-B9611991799B.png
    EA71B652-7C4B-4CC4-B59D-B9611991799B.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 7C785E43-D01F-4A64-8B41-53DCA4952360.png
    7C785E43-D01F-4A64-8B41-53DCA4952360.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 0
My bad. When searching all stations I might have intuited that the alphabet started and ended in CA. Didn't realize that one had to first go to states then alphabetize. My mistake
Using the status page on the App? It just has a search box and I type the city name or station code.

Using the status page on the App? It just has a search box and I type the city name or station code.
I did that at first too. and New Orleans wasn't popping up. So I went to all stations. I use status frequently on app and never had to go to all stations to find city. New Orleans wasn't in the drop down after entering "new" "o".

Be aware that the Crescent does not have traditional dining so dining is second rate if you are in a sleeper and cafe if you are in coach. I would suggest that you consider a trip on one of the western trains which have traditional dining. It makes for a much better trip experience.

I did that at first too. and New Orleans wasn't popping up. So I went to all stations. I use status frequently on app and never had to go to all stations to find city. New Orleans wasn't in the drop down after entering "new" "o".
Well, I have no idea where you're using "all stations" on the app.

We were on the Crescent #20 in late July and returned on #19 last week. (New Orleans >Alexandria and return).
Never had any problem seeing the info and stations on Amtrak's website.

Correct on Flexible Dining and NO dining car. A cafe car is used - half of it reserved for crew. During sleeper meal times (except breakfast) the cafe car is closed to coach passengers during sleeper meal times. We tried the cafe for breakfast which is one meal when the cafe is not closed to coach passengers. The table was filthy, I had to request the attendant clean it. As the car was not closed to coach passengers there was a lot of "traffic" walking back and forth while we were eating. Further meals were consumed in our bedroom.
The single cafe car attendant has to do double duty - run the cafe and prepare meals for sleeper passengers although, the two SCAs helped out when they were there to retreive meals for their passengers.

The Sunset Limited, before and after our Crescent experience, was so much better.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I too am confused about the Crescent. Confused about how and why its level of service, its schedule, and its timekeeping have all been allowed to deteriorate so badly. Confused about why no one responsible for the viability of Amtrak cares enough about this train to have kept it from becoming so unattractive, inconvenient, and unreliable.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I too am confused about the Crescent. Confused about how and why its level of service, its schedule, and its timekeeping have all been allowed to deteriorate so badly. Confused about why no one responsible for the viability of Amtrak cares enough about this train to have kept it from becoming so unattractive, inconvenient, and unreliable.
tricia: Agreed, and I will avoid jumping on my soapbox as I might have in the past about the current "status" of all things with the Crescent. I have nearly or over 60 years as a passenger on the Crescent and I agree with your assessment of confused and I, too, am sad about it. I am wanting to "just ride" Amtrak as just a railfan again soon, but I think I will be driving over to SAV and board the Silver Star. Although the Star has had its timekeeping issues, the length of the consist is spectacular.

We were on the Crescent #20 in late July and returned on #19 last week. (New Orleans >Alexandria and return).
Never had any problem seeing the info and stations on Amtrak's website.

Correct on Flexible Dining and NO dining car. A cafe car is used - half of it reserved for crew. During sleeper meal times (except breakfast) the cafe car is closed to coach passengers during sleeper meal times. We tried the cafe for breakfast which is one meal when the cafe is not closed to coach passengers. The table was filthy, I had to request the attendant clean it. As the car was not closed to coach passengers there was a lot of "traffic" walking back and forth while we were eating. Further meals were consumed in our bedroom.
The single cafe car attendant has to do double duty - run the cafe and prepare meals for sleeper passengers although, the two SCAs helped out when they were there to retreive meals for their passengers.

The Sunset Limited, before and after our Crescent experience, was so much better.
I had one of the surliest sleeper attendants ever when I rode the Crescent last fall. Everything seemed to bother him. When I asked him to turn down my bed he muttered and came in an hour later. When I thanked him he just walked away. Whole experience was diminished. Needless to say he didn't get a tip at the end of the trip.

I had one of the surliest sleeper attendants ever when I rode the Crescent last fall. Everything seemed to bother him. When I asked him to turn down my bed he muttered and came in an hour later. When I thanked him he just walked away. Whole experience was diminished. Needless to say he didn't get a tip at the end of the trip.
I have no complaints with the SCAs...both 19 and 20 were great this past trip. A trip a few years ago on 19 she was great too.

a warning about Crescent in FEB. Amtrak cancels Crescent some time after Jan 1st on Mondays - Thursdays actual days south of ATL. Has been anywhere from 4 -6 weeks. This due to NS maintenane

Last edited:
Be aware that the Crescent does not have traditional dining so dining is second rate if you are in a sleeper and cafe if you are in coach. I would suggest that you consider a trip on one of the western trains which have traditional dining. It makes for a much better trip experience.
I wish I could but she lives in DE and has limited time she can be away so I'm driving from CLE and taking the train from WIL with her which is her closest station and still an hour and 15 away. Maybe by end of Feb they'll have traditional back.... Maybe....

I wish I could but she lives in DE and has limited time she can be away so I'm driving from CLE and taking the train from WIL with her which is her closest station and still an hour and 15 away. Maybe by end of Feb they'll have traditional back.... Maybe....
In that case, I think you will need to study the Flex menu carefully and also compare it to the cafe menu to decide what you want to eat on this trip and you should take an ample supply of snacks in case there is a shortage of items or few items that you find satisfactory.

As I understand it the Crescent has no lounge car. I do not know if the cafe car serves as a lounge car for sleeping car and coach passengers or if they are allowed to remain in the car only when dining. I understand from Tincan's post that coach passengers are not allowed in the cafe car while meals are being served to sleeping car passengers. So if you are a sleeping car passenger you may be largely confined to your room and if you are a coach passenger you may be pretty well confined to your seat.

Oh, What, Oh What, would the late W. Graham Claytor, Jr. think about the current pathetic operation of his Crescent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back