Crescent problems, or is it NS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisInGeorgia

Train Attendant
The Crescent southbound this morning was delayed into Danville, and the delays at subsequent stations worsened until 19 left Charlotte 4.5 hours late - a delay that hasn't changed as it nears Meridian.

Then northbound #20 left Anniston 1/2 hour late and they are already projecting an hour's delay or more departing Atlanta. This is not typical. Has N-S begun track work or put extra movements on the main line, or is the train itself having problems? We're due to go to NOL Thursday morning from ATL and if something is happening that will last until then, it sure would be nice to know. It's amazing how much I'v e come to rely on this forum. Anyone?

Given weather conditions in the Southeast today and in the Midwest/East yesterday, the delays are possibly due to speed restrictions imposed under conditions where flash flood warnings are in effect. This seriously reduces train speed, down to 15 MPH in the case of some RRs.

Both southbound Silvers and the southbound A-T that originated yesterday are running up to 12 hours late due to weather conditions & flash flood warnings.

Edit: content

Last edited by a moderator:
RampWidget, that's a good thought and I should have considered flooding. However, I looked at the Southeast US radar and the only thing in GA or Al is a light shower in Augusta. And I just saw an update that 20 is in the station, albeit 15 minutes late. However, it's projected to leave an hour and 30 minutes behind, which is odd since they normally need about 31 minutes in ATL northbound. So there may be other factors at work. Hope today is just a fluke.

RampWidget, that's a good thought and I should have considered flooding. However, I looked at the Southeast US radar and the only thing in GA or Al is a light shower in Augusta. And I just saw an update that 20 is in the station, albeit 15 minutes late. However, it's projected to leave an hour and 30 minutes behind, which is odd since they normally need about 31 minutes in ATL northbound. So there may be other factors at work. Hope today is just a fluke.
Depending on how late the SB was, They may be waiting for the crew to get their rest?

20 likely held at Atlanta account crew rest necessary since 19 was so late. Crew runs CLT - ATL on 19 and returns that evening on 20. Experienced that a couple years ago. Had dinner sitting in ATL station.

Flash flooding for an area can occur a day or more after the rain, it can take time for water to make its way downstream. It was also a major wind event with lots of trees down, so that may also have been a factor in both directions.

Amtrak has lower priority outside of the NEC. They don't control the rails, the freight companies do. That combined with the brutal weather would cause delays. All of this is normal for any long distance Amtrak trains.

I was on the southbound #19 Thursday. Got off in Lynchburg a little over a half hour late. The area had been hit by a derech'o that afternoon. Lots of trees down and power outages. Same thing in NC and SC.

#20 just went through Charlottesville about an hour and a half late. Yesterday it was 7 hours late and coincidentally was in the station at the same time as #51 which was on time. Yesterday it took #20 2 hours to get from Lynchburg to CVS instead of the usual 75 minutes. Today = normal.

I saw a service dog get off one of the Viewliners to be 'walked' - it was a largish shaggy collie type.

Nope, not like a hurricane. A hurricane has an eye in the center and the winds rotate around the eye. Derecho winds travel at high speed in a straight line. Lynchburg is still replacing damaged infrastructure from the 2012 storm.

I've noticed a substantial spike in traffic on NS through Tuscaloosa, I work and live near the tracks and there are 2-4 trains an hour now verses one every hour or two last year. It's either the crescent corridor project coming to fruition or the economy beginning to rebound.

I was on the southbound #19 Thursday. Got off in Lynchburg a little over a half hour late. The area had been hit by a derech'o that afternoon. Lots of trees down and power outages. Same thing in NC and SC.
what does derecho mean?
An unusually strong complex of thunderstorms that feature winds greater than 58 MPH over a line at least 240 miles in length.

Here's an interesting article comparing the impacts of the last 2 derecho events in the mid-Atlantic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/06/18/comparing-the-2012-and-2013-june-derechos/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back