Crescent roomette Hattiesburg to DC and back?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant
I'm posting this here because it's the only forum where it seems I'm currently open to post.

For the first time since I was a kid I'll be taking an overnight train trip in the US. (The last time I took an overnight train trip anywhere was 30 years ago in Sweden.) My wife and I will be traveling from Hattiesburg, MS to Washington, DC over Christmas. We've booked a Viewliner roomette on the Crescent. I've been reading FAQs and forums, watching YouTube videos and talking to rail-buff friends to get ready for the trip. There is a question I have not found a clear answer for:

Q1: Hattiesburg is a station not offering checked baggage service. From what I understand, this means that we will be constrained to whatever luggage we can cram into the Viewliner roomette with us. Right? There is no luggage closet or bin where large bags can be stored for the duration of the trip?

Q2: Assuming I'm right about Q1, the luggage slot above passageway should just accommodate two 14"x22" rolling carry-on airline bags. Right? Is there any usable luggage space under the seats? If so, about what size?

Q3: Would the coat rack be able to handle a standard folding hanging bag, if needed? I understand that we should carry our winter coats onto the train and not attempt to pack them.

I'm pretty good at fast-and-light one-bag travel, The wife on the other hand, likes her clothing, shoes and creature comforts. This may be a bit of a challenge.

I have taken day-trips on trains ranging from the Nozomi Shinkansen in Japan to local trains in Italy and Spain but this is my first venture into long-distance train travel in the US for many years.

Donald Newcomb

Correct, since there is not checked baggage service at at least 1 of your stations, you must carry all your bags on board. The cubbyhole above the hallway does hold 1-2 bags. Any additional, the SCA "finds" a place to store them usually. This may be at the end of the car, in the shower room (where s/he will then remove them if the shower is to be used), in an unused room or even in the baggage car! There is no room under the seats.

Yes, the coat rack should hold a garment bag.

I would look at swapping to meridian. They have checked luggage and not too far from Hattiesburg. They had parking at last check.

Any additional, the SCA "finds" a place to store them usually. This may be at the end of the car, in the shower room (where s/he will then remove them if the shower is to be used), in an unused room or even in the baggage car! There is no room under the seats.
I would not rely on your sleeping car attendant finding a place to store your luggage. The attendant may or may not be able to store your luggage. In my opinion, you should not bring any more luggage than you can store in your room, when traveling in a Viewliner sleeper.

I have not been able to Google the dimensions of the bag storage compartment in the roomette. The best I can find is "big enough to accommodate two airline carry-on bags. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions?

Worst case scenario, if the second bag doesn't fit in the space above the hall, and the sca can't stash it, you can stand it up next to or on top of the toilet, with the understanding that it needs to move to use the toilet, and possibly going up or down from the top bunk.

I would not rely on your sleeping car attendant finding a place to store your luggage. The attendant may or may not be able to store your luggage. In my opinion, you should not bring any more luggage than you can store in your room, when traveling in a Viewliner sleeper.
I'm curious. Does the carry on luggage policy posted at amtrak.com differ for VL passengers? My point is that if your luggage is within the rules, then it is someone's responsibility to find a place for it. After all, a new passenger can only go by the published rules; and it not the passenger's fault that Amtrak won't check a bag track side as they do in certain places.

I'm curious. Does the carry on luggage policy posted at amtrak.com differ for VL passengers? My point is that if your luggage is within the rules, then it is someone's responsibility to find a place for it. After all, a new passenger can only go by the published rules; and it not the passenger's fault that Amtrak won't check a bag track side as they do in certain places.
From the Amtrak website, "Not all trains or locations are equipped to handle checked baggage."

In which case you fall back to the carry-on rules. Which include, "Carry-on and personal items must be kept with you, stored in overhead racks, under seats or designated baggage areas."

The problem is that Amtrak is not exactly clear about how much space may be available for your carry-on items.

How much space is available doesn't matter. Amtrak is abundantly clear on the number and size of carry on items allowed. Stay within those limits and all will be well.
Unless two people try to bring the maximum carry-on allowance into a roomette for an overnight trip.

BTW, I'm still looking for the dimensions (in inches) of the luggage compartment in a Viewliner roomette. It's amazing that no one seems to have ever posted this information in any way that Google can located.

This is an area where Amtrak shoots itself in the foot. It lists the dimensions of the room very clearly, but omits the size of the storage area. It suggests one-two suitcases for a VL roomette, but doesn't list dimensions, or mention that they need to be lifted overhead. None of this is part of the carry-on baggage section, which is where people are inclined to look anyway. Sleeper passenger luggage is rarely a problem on a SL train, but can be on a sold out VL.

I wonder if you can take all your bags on with you then when you pull into a station that has checked baggage and an extended stop run them up to the baggage car and check them. Depending on how the Crescent is configured out, the baggage car may be only a car or 2 away from your sleeper.

I wonder if you can take all your bags on with you then when you pull into a station that has checked baggage and an extended stop run them up to the baggage car and check them. Depending on how the Crescent is configured out, the baggage car may be only a car or 2 away from your sleeper.
I thought about this but suspected that there would not be time, particularly if your end station did not provide for checked-baggage. You'd have to get off, claim your luggage and get back on before the "All 'board."

I thought about this but suspected that there would not be time, particularly if your end station did not provide for checked-baggage. You'd have to get off, claim your luggage and get back on before the "All 'board."
I have seen attendants or conductors check excess lugagge for passengers and store the luggage in the baggage car, which, on the Silvers, at least, can be accessed from the first sleeper.

I've put a larger than carry on suitcase and a good size back pack up in the top compartment. One thing I would suggest is trading in a heavy coat for a packable model, they are much easier to deal with. I would say in MOST cases the SCA will find room for a large suitcase.

Don, this is the Viewliner roomette overhead storage bin. The bag, as shown horizontally, measures 13in wide, 9in high, and 18in deep. This bag also fits under the seats. I also measured two larger bags I have placed up there when my wife traveled with me. These are the typical 23 and 26 roller bags. They are 14 and 16 inches wide when placed flat in the cubby. I hope this helps you out. That cubby is difficult too reach, but can be loaded from the top bunk when down or standing on the head cover. The second photo shows the hanging area and a place for carry on bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, this is the Viewliner roomette overhead storage bin. The bag, as shown horizontally, measures 13in wide, 9in high, and 18in deep. This bag also fits under the seats. I also measured two larger bags I have placed up there when my wife traveled with me. These are the typical 23 and 26 roller bags. They are 14 and 16 inches wide when placed flat in the cubby. I hope this helps you out. That cubby is difficult too reach, but can be loaded from the top bunk when down or standing on the head cover. The second photo shows the hanging area and a place for carry on bag.
Our "big" bag is a 16" X 26" X 12" soft-top roller. If I knew it could be crammed into that slot along with a smaller bag we'd be "In like Flinn". From the photo, it looks like it might be doable but I'd hate to be 1/2" to wide.

If there is no one in the H room or another roomette, the SCA may store a bag in there for you. But of course there are no guarantees this room or any other room would be empty to allow such a move. They did do that for us on one of our trips.

I have not been able to Google the dimensions of the bag storage compartment in the roomette. The best I can find is "big enough to accommodate two airline carry-on bags. Does anyone know where I can find the dimensions?
The dimensions I measured on my recent Crescent trip was 36" Long, 16" High, and 20" deep.

Here's what I found for the dimensions of the luggage storage in a Viewliner roomette. The slot was 21.5"D x 36"W x 15.5"H with a 13" clearance between the bar and the top of the slot. Under-seat storage was roughly 29"D x 22"W x 10"H and 29"D x 20"W x 10"H. "Roughly" because of the latch bar and curvature of the space. Loose items in the luggage areas are pretty easy to get at while underway but stuff inside luggage can be a pain.

The trip to D.C. was on time, pleasant enough and the food was good but we may not become Amtrak regulars. My wife has a bad back and the roughness of the ride and very hard mattress were not comfortable for her. The ride is much rougher than trains I've ridden around the world and the sleeping arrangement reminds me of a "coffin bunk" on a destroyer. The conclusion being that, for long trips, the brief discomfort of flying is more tolerable than the lower-lever but longer discomfort of the train.

If you think the viewliner roomette bunk is a "Coffin Bunk"... I'd recommend you NOT try a trip in a superliner. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back