Quantcast

Crescent Scenery

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Cal

Service Attendant
I know about the western long distance scenery. However I don't know much about the eastern long distance scenery, and to me, the Crescent route looks like it can have some decent scenery. How is the scenery on the Crescent? What does it consist of?

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
It's not a particularly scenic route but there are nice spots. There are views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and a few high bridges in Virginia. There are also some mountain views in North Georgia near Toccoa. On approach to New Orleans, there is the very long bridge over Lake Ponchartrain. Additionally, while not necessarily traditionally scenic, there are multiple urban views which are interesting to some, including the skylines of NYC, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham and the views of the Capitol and monuments in DC.

Cal

Service Attendant
It's not a particularly scenic route but there are nice spots. There are views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and a few high bridges in Virginia. There are also some mountain views in North Georgia near Toccoa. On approach to New Orleans, there is the very long bridge over Lake Ponchartrain. Additionally, while not necessarily traditionally scenic, there are multiple urban views which are interesting to some, including the skylines of NYC, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Birmingham and the views of the Capitol and monuments in DC.
Okay, thank you. I've always been curious

boxcar479

Train Attendant
AU Supporter
I had never asked about scenery on the Crescent bc every one said about the same thing " nothing to see here, dull, bland and what scenery" But back in the the "zone" travel days I took a chance and booked the Crescent out of CVS to SDL instead of going to Florida as I usually did( now thats a dull bland trip scenery wise imo) I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It was in the fall and there were beautiful colors everywhere even coming into ATL was nice. I don't remember any negatives about that trip. I probably wouldn't have ridden it if I listened to everyone else, that and it was a AGR points trip!

FrensicPic

Conductor
Rode #19 in October 2019. I found the southern end to have better scenery.
The train leaves NYP at 2:15 in the afternoon (when I took it) in afternoon so you will have more daylight on day two.

me_little_me

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
This very fine train is still standing strong on my 'Yet To Ride' list for Amtrak. And I'll bet there are a lot of nostalgic / industrial / and scenic views along the way. 🌈
View attachment 20414
What really impresses me is the feeling while on the Crescent every time I head south to NOL that I am floating on the water because you have a tough time looking straight down enough to even see anything but water.

Cal

Service Attendant
I had never asked about scenery on the Crescent bc every one said about the same thing " nothing to see here, dull, bland and what scenery" But back in the the "zone" travel days I took a chance and booked the Crescent out of CVS to SDL instead of going to Florida as I usually did( now thats a dull bland trip scenery wise imo) I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It was in the fall and there were beautiful colors everywhere even coming into ATL was nice. I don't remember any negatives about that trip. I probably wouldn't have ridden it if I listened to everyone else, that and it was a AGR points trip!
Rode #19 in October 2019. I found the southern end to have better scenery.

Good to know!

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
I love the scenery on the Crescent. Blue Ridge Mountains, Small southern downtowns built up along the tracks, rolling hills in Alabama, southern farms in Mississippi crossing the Lake on the way into New Orleans.

PaTrainFan

Service Attendant
As far as I am concerned, while there are better sights than others, ALL scenery out a train window is terrific! As Edna St. Vincent Millay conlcuded in her famous poem Travel, many, many years ago:

The railroad track is miles away,
And the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by all day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming,
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.

fdaley

Service Attendant
You won't see it southbound, but if you hit Lynchburg VA in daylight on the northbound run, you go over a big high bridge across the James River at the edge of the city. After leaving the station northbound, you run through the city for a bit, then through a tunnel, and the bridge is right after that. You can look down at the C&O freight line running along the river far below. The stretch from there to Charlottesville is one of my favorites, with some rugged hilly terrain and the Blue Ridge visible to the west. It's not California-Zephyr stunning, but by eastern standards it's pretty good.

Shortline

Conductor
I ride it regularly, between Birmingham and Washington or NYC. Sometimes, Birmingham, to New Orleans. It’s got its charm in spots, but I really still prefer superliner trains out west, personally. I do think, it’s better than the scenery on the Silvers, for the most part. And I think the New Orleans crews do a good job, better than some other crew bases, I think, though that’s subjective.

Bob Dylan

Conductor
I always enjoy the scenery on a train, but the Crescent definitely had interesting stretches. For one thing, I was impressed by how long we went through swampy country after crossing Lake Pontchartrain going north.
Most of Louisiana is Swamp, so the Sunset,City and Crescent all get their share of Gator Country!