Crescent Status?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant
What has happened on the Crescent's route? Amtrak train status has been unavailable for both 19 and 20 since yesterday afternoon.
Thanks.

Looks like both trains are terminating in Atlanta today because of a disabled freight. It caused issues on yesterday's train as well. I am wondering if this will affect multiple days.

Update: Amtrak told me a freight derailed, but today's 19 was scheduled on time. So who knows.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Yesterday's 20 terminated at Meridian and 19 at Birmingham, IIRC. I wonder how the two consists were returned to NOL and ATL. ATK usually runs the Crescent's engines elephant style. So they would have have to be reversed on a wye or borrow NS engines to pull them back to NOL and ATL. I doubt if ATK or NS would allow the engines to run in reverse a couple of hundred miles to those stations.

Last edited:
Reported by NS.

Aug 19, 2021

Service has been restored to the mainline near Meridian, MS following the intermodal train derailment reported yesterday, Wednesday, August 18th.
While the route is now open, minor delays should be expected on traffic moving through the derailment site. Customers with shipments involved in the derailment will continue to receive notifications from our Intermodal Customer Service team as updates are made available.

I know it can be turned in Birmingham and there’s lot’s of tracks in Meridian so there must be a place to turn it there as well.

I know it can be turned in Birmingham and there’s lot’s of tracks in Meridian so there must be a place to turn it there as well.
As I remember, I believe there's a wye where the KCS Meridian Speedway merges with the NS from NOLA, just east of the I-59 overpass and west of the main Meridian yard.

Back