Crescent Viewliner Location?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hytec

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking the Crescent in June and was wondering if the Viewliners would be behind or ahead of the coaches at that time. Every time I rode the Crescent 20+/- years ago, the Viewliners were in front and the rides were pleasant. But the few times I rode in the recent past, the Viewliners were in the rear and the whiplash was significant, especially south of Atlanta. Looking at recent postings on YouTube, the Viewliners are in the rear. So I was wondering if this location is permanent, or just for the winter. Thanks.

Permanent.

The baggage car has been moved to the rear, behind the sleepers to cut down on the tail wagging, so the ride should be OK. Didn't notice any problems when we were on it last month, although we were one car up from the back, so we had two cars behind us (the other sleeper and the bag).

I was in the last sleeper car in July and didn't notice too much whiplash. I actually thought it was pretty smooth compared to my usual trips (the upper level of the Superliners).

Thanks for your replies. With the bag dampening whiplash, the rides ought to be fine, especially in #10.

Nothing is permanent. Amtrak changes their minds on consist order every 5-10 years, when a new group of managers comes in. But it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Nothing is permanent. Amtrak changes their minds on consist order every 5-10 years, when a new group of managers comes in. But it's unlikely to change anytime soon.
It' s more frequent than that! Its seasonal in the case of routes like the TE, CONO, CZ.( The Crescent and Silver trains used to do this but no longer do! Thanks Ryan!)
In the case of the Texas Eagle/ Sunset Ltd. Connection in SAS, it even changes more often than that for switching reasons!

Last edited by a moderator:
I read where the decision to put baggage cars on the rear of Superliner-equipped trains is being reversed because exhaust fumes from the locomotive are intruding into the first car and it's a PITA to seal that door.

I read where the decision to put baggage cars on the rear of Superliner-equipped trains is being reversed because exhaust fumes from the locomotive are intruding into the first car and it's a PITA to seal that door.
It seems like Amtrak has to constantly re-learn the same lessons about every 5 years.

Then again, every company I've ever worked at has been the same way as middle management turns over and the new managers keep thinking they can reinvent the wheel... by making the same mistakes their predecessors did.

What is worse about it is that apparently their original plan was to install a shield in the head car, and then they failed to follow through and execute on that plan. Another case of Amtrak management failure IMHO. And as usual there will most likely be no consequence for anyone in the management chain. And we continue to wonder why Amtrak is unable to deal with under-performing staff at all levels....

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually a permanent thing now due to ADA rules and regs.. Part of the issue is that the H room is right in front of the door from the Vestibule. It has to do with the diner too. I know it was posted on here before.

Good 2 page thread on this in today's Passenger forum on Train Orders (no doubt posters here were alluding to it). "Diesel fumes cause resumption of regular consists."

Good 2 page thread on this in today's Passenger forum on Train Orders (no doubt posters here were alluding to it). "Diesel fumes cause resumption of regular consists."
That topic is for another, well, topic on the forum.

That has to deal with the Superliner trains. Not Viewliner and Amfleet Single level trains.

What is worse about it is that apparently their original plan was to install a shield in the head car, and then they failed to follow through and execute on that plan. Another case of Amtrak management failure IMHO. And as usual there will most likely be no consequence for anyone in the management chain. And we continue to wonder why Amtrak is unable to deal with under-performing staff at all levels....

I don't believe a shield on the head car was pursued since you'd basically have to equip each end of almost every car since car subject to switching. The shield was supposed to be on the actual diesel. I believe some of them are completed but it takes time and money.

I don't believe a shield on the head car was pursued since you'd basically have to equip each end of almost every car since car subject to switching. The shield was supposed to be on the actual diesel. I believe some of them are completed but it takes time and money.
I was on the front Sleeper on the SWC a week & a half ago where we were right behind the engines. I got pretty sick from the exhaust, even though two plainclothes employees (badges on lanyards around their necks) came and asked if I could smell the exhaust. I told them yes and that it was making me sick, but all I got was some excuse about "the deflector's not working" and nothing more was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back