Cresent from Atlanta to NOLA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for your replies! Now that we've made a decision, I have questions.

1. How soon after we get on the train in Atlanta will we be offered breakfast? And also on the return from New Orleans? Can I call ahead to make a breakfast reservation, or is that not allowed?

2. Is there any "train ettiquette" I need to know, that I may not be aware of?

We did not join Amtrak rewards because I don't know if/when we will ever travel by train again. We are on a very tight budget and have been given a week at a condo in the French Quarter by a family member, or we would not be able to go at all.

Thanks to everyone who offered help earlier, I really appreciate it. :hi:
1. When I rode the Crescent, they offered breakfast less than 30 minutes after departure from ATL/NOL.

2. Please tip the Dining Car waiter. An old tradition is to leave a penny on the rail. It will be flatted by the next train. These pennies are trainditional railway souveniers. Before stopping the train will make a long and very high pitched braking sound. Don't be suprised, it is loud!

You could travel by train to WAS or other places in the Northeast. Just join AGR because why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
best guest said:
1330188576[/url]' post='349687']
Steve4031 said:
1330141542[/url]' post='349626']All seats will have electric outlets. Your son can use his electronics all day with no chance of running out of charge. He can get up and move around. Get roomettes. Hell like having his own room. Also, one of you can switch from one room to the other so nobody is always alone or always without privacy. You can walk up and use the bathroom on a coach car if you don't want to use the one in the room. Or the one can move across the hall to the other roomette to give privacy for using the toilet. It's realy not that bad. Get an even number room and an odd number room across the hall from each other.
Thanks for your reply, my son having his electrical toys is most definitely the concern! :blink: He was gifted a Kindle Fire and I thought I could tether it using my Andoid phone, but the Fire doesn't have a standard USB port. He'll have his iPhone, but I bet he'll find plenty of entertainment. He has to warm up to change, but I'm confident he'll be excited by the time the trip happens. I know my husband and I are! :D
I love being technologically connected, and can't travel anywhere without both my iPhone and my iPad, but when I'm on the train, I love just watching the american scenery roll by. (But I do go on FB at least once a day)
biggrin.gif
mosking.gif

best_guest,

Even in coach I'm sure you would have had a great trip, but I think that you'll find that the bedroom makes it better!

Regarding meals...the policy is not uniform (in other words, each crew does things their own way), but in general you will find that dinner is always by reservation, lunch is sometimes by reservation, and breakfast is never by reservation but (basically) first-come first-served. The Crescent departs Atlanta at 8:38 am which is close to the end of the breakfast serving time. So, I would suggest that as soon as you board and the conductor or sleeping car attendant lifts your tickets that you tell him that you want to get breakfast, ask for directions to the diner, and head there immediately to get a table or your name on the wait list. While you are in the diner ask if lunch is to be by reservation or first-come first-served and make your plans accordingly. For dinner the dining car steward will walk through the sleepers sometime (usually) shortly after the crew finishes cleaning up from lunch to take dinner reservations. There's usually an announcement made when reservations are being taken, so make sure that at least one of your party is available in the sleeper.

Amtrak's prepaid meals for sleeper passengers include one entree--any item on the menu. You may also order an associated side dish, such as bacon or sausage with your scrambled egg breakfast or chicken breast strips to go with your lunchtime salad at no extra charge. You may order your choice of non-alcoholic beverage (soda, coffee, tea, milk) as well as dessert when it is offered (lunch and dinner). Alcoholic beverages are extra; you may pay diner and lounge-cafe tabs with cash or credit card. Even though your meal is prepaid, it is still appropriate to tip the waiter in cash as you would for the same meal in a restaurant.

Have a great trip!
The dining car is closed for servicing while in station in Atlanta and does not reopen until you're underway and en route to Anniston.

I live in Atlanta and have ridden the the Crescent many times.

Usually the diner opens about five minutes from leaving Atlanta. Those are probably the days it arrives on time or early and the crew has more time to prepare. I guess when it arrives late that might be a problem

Northbound, out of New Orleans, it almost never opens that quickly. Do not be surprised if you are almost at Slidell, the first stop, for it to open. The free coffee and juice in you sleeper will help with that.

About your northbound approach into Atlanta,be sure to take the earliest dinner call. That is because of the time change.That happens somewhere after leaving Anniston. That means all of a sudden it is one hour later than it had been and you must finish your meal.

Do not let that keep you from having dinner northbound since that will be a full menu. Whereas, going south into NOL, it might be out of some things.

On entering the diner, wait to be seated. Also do not confuse the diner with the cafe car, which is right in front.

Call Amtrak to see if the train is on time before you start out.If it is very late,eat breakfast at home.But do not be spooked at this talk of lateness, the Crescent is usually on time

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back