Crew base in Atlanta?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband is an engineer-based in Texas but we’re from Atlanta. I want to get closer to Atlanta but with all these layoffs i’m not sure if that’s gonna be possible. I’m trying to find the closest crew base to Atlanta. I guess Things are gonna change come October for everyone

Atlanta is a crew base for operations already isn’t it? Unless all crews layover in Atlanta?

I think Savannah is one as well. Maybe he can bump when they open Sadie Hawkins

Savannah is a Engineer crew base only I believe. Amtrak doesn't have the "Sadie Hawkins" where you can bump into a new crew base once or twice a year. Amtrak has Bi-Annual "Optionals" which is an Optional Displacement from the job that you're currently holding to a new job. As far as bumping into a new crew base. One can do that throughout the year if a job opens up. For instance if you're holding a Extra Board job in Philadelphia in June and want to bump into Albany, if their is an Extra Board job or a set schedule job in Albany and you bid and win the bid then you have bumped into Albany. But it's important to note that if you bid into a new crew base you need to get qualified on that territory. Unless it's stated in the bulletin, you will not be paid for qualifying.

Savannah is a Engineer crew base only I believe. Amtrak doesn't have the "Sadie Hawkins" where you can bump into a new crew base once or twice a year. Amtrak has Bi-Annual "Optionals" which is an Optional Displacement from the job that you're currently holding to a new job. As far as bumping into a new crew base. One can do that throughout the year if a job opens up. For instance if you're holding a Extra Board job in Philadelphia in June and want to bump into Albany, if their is an Extra Board job or a set schedule job in Albany and you bid and win the bid then you have bumped into Albany. But it's important to note that if you bid into a new crew base you need to get qualified on that territory. Unless it's stated in the bulletin, you will not be paid for qualifying.
Thanks for all this information. 👍

Optionals happen bi annually . If not qualified for a job awarded, you must notify the manager in charge of that crew base to arrange to qualify. Zone hopping is frowned upon and there are restrictions and caveats that must be met before someone is paid to qualify.

however if displaced from your crew base and there is nothing you can hold, I believe that triggers a nationwide bump. Those are usually paid to qualify but don’t expect any move allowance.

Sounds like Optionals will be November unless of course congress figures out a new clean bill to keep Amtrak running.

Thanks for the reply. Love this forum and appreciate all the information. So much information I didn’t even know about .I guess everything is up in the air right now. 2020 needs to be done already

thats about the best part. Also if furloughed, the health insurance lasts till the next fiscal year FYI

Back