Cross-Country 11-City Honeymoon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Capitol Limited, I have a well-known bias in favor of that train. It's partly because of the history of the area, and partly because it's as familiar and comfortable to me as a pair of old shoes. Incidentally, I think Jim may be misremembering: the scenery gets better west of Martinsburg. The only times I've ridden the Cardinal route were many years ago when the schedule was different and we passed some of the best scenery in darkness. Others with more experience on the Cardinal will tell you it's great as well. So don't let me sway you. Keep the Capitol Limited in mind for a future trip when you and your honey can visit Gettysburg.

Tom
We just found out we are too late to sign up for a White House tour, so another trip seems inevitable. Will definitely keep Capitol Limited in mind.

Thanks @jimhudson for the tip, too! I'm hoping the Cardinal manages to be on-time westbound.

Which way are you taking the Cardinal? Sounds like westbound. The Cardinal tends to have better timekeeping westbound than eastbound. When you get to Charlottesville it is a smoke break stop (both directions) with a station dwell of about 15 minutes. If you let me know your date I will be pleased to meet you - I live 3 blocks from the station which is pretty much in downtown Cville. Feel free to send me a Private Message with the envelope icon at the top of this page. There is a Facebook page: "Amtrak's Cardinal". There is also a very good map from the NPS for the New River Gorge which you will be traversing. Very scenic. If google doesn't produce it for you I can send you a link. You can download it on your phone or tablet and have it for the trip.

A train ride from the Bay Area to Reno can be very beautiful in December if it ever snows again in California. :huh:
Yes, westbound. Crossing fingers for punctuality! Thanks so much for the Charlottesville station tip! I'll definitely message you as the time nears. The other tips you offered are great. Thank you! Will check Facebook right after this!

I agree with Glenwood Springs skipping Omaha and SLC. The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is there near the two grand old hotels. There is a good bus service up to Aspen.

I did see someone swimming in the pool in December 2013. The pedestrian/bicycle trail along the Colorado River is great. The eastbound and westbound CZ's usually meet less than an hour east of the Glenwood Canyon. Doc Holliday's monument stone is in the cemetery at the top of the hill in Glenwood Springs. He was buried in the cemetery but no one living knows exactly where.

You'll have enough time in Grand Junction to go into Dave's Depot for some coffee (free) or some peanuts or ice cream. Dave's little store is on the east end of the station.

The stop in SLC is very early in the morning usually before the TRAX starts running.
Adding Dave's to the list. We are still going to Omaha for a day. I think it'll be a good short stop. I'll definitely look for the east-west CZ passing! Great tip! And yes, it sounds like a few people recommend Doc Holliday's grave. Will have to Che j it out. :)

Thanks!

Another great spot to visit in Omaha is Lauritzen Gardens and Botonical Center. 100 acres of natural beauty. The Old Market area near the train station has shops and great places to eat.

Enjoy your trip. It sounds like a dream honeymoon to me.

If you do end up stopping in Omaha, I think you would enjoy the Durham Museum, a history museum located in a ornate old train station:

http://www.durhammuseum.org/
I'd agree with this...Durham Museum is great and even more so if your a rail fan or history buff. It is also just across the tracks from the Amtrak station but unfortunately the CZ comes thru late at night. Nearby about 1/2 mile from station is Old Market area of Omaha which I would love to go back and spend some time at. I have only stayed at the Hampton Inn by TD Ameritrade Ball Park (College World Series Park) but If I returned I would like to stay in the Old Market area at maybe Magnolia Hotel, Hyatt Place or Embassy Suites. In the same part of town is the Joslyn Art Museum which I have yet to make it to. In South Omaha they have a famous and well regarded zoo.

If you do end up stopping in Omaha, I think you would enjoy the Durham Museum, a history museum located in a ornate old train station:

http://www.durhammuseum.org/
I'd agree with this...Durham Museum is great and even more so if your a rail fan or history buff. It is also just across the tracks from the Amtrak station but unfortunately the CZ comes thru late at night. Nearby about 1/2 mile from station is Old Market area of Omaha which I would love to go back and spend some time at. I have only stayed at the Hampton Inn by TD Ameritrade Ball Park (College World Series Park) but If I returned I would like to stay in the Old Market area at maybe Magnolia Hotel, Hyatt Place or Embassy Suites. In the same part of town is the Joslyn Art Museum which I have yet to make it to. In South Omaha they have a famous and well regarded zoo.
I believe we are staying in the old market area. Yes, train comes through around 11:00pm. Anyone know if it tends to run late? We only really have 24 hours there. Would hate to lose much of that. :\

Train 5 has had a bad week for on time arrivals. Tonight is is due in about 12:45am. That's the closest its been to on time all week

Train 5 has had a bad week for on time arrivals. Tonight is is due in about 12:45am. That's the closest its been to on time all week
I just looked, and our schedule can't budge. Looks like we'll have to plan on having <24 hrs in Omaha. Not the end of the world, but I can't help but feel like a hotel is a waste of money when you check in so late. Thanks for the info!

As far as logging your trip, a few years ago, my brother and I did a 7000 mile trip around the country. We started out in Jackson, Miss. and went through Chicago, Albuquerque, LA, Portland, Chicago and back to Jackson. Going into it, we knew it was going to be the trip of a lifetime and we wanted to log it as well. We looked at doing a blog, and I did want to write about the trip, but it got to be a hassle to want to write down everything that happened. We ended up taking a few GoPro cameras along with us. We were able to mount them to the window in our roomette with a suction cup and hit record and let it go. I am actually in the process of editing it now. I can upload the partial video I have so far and let you see the direction I am going with it if you would like.

One thing I never did that I wish I had was take it a step further and do a video blog. I may keep that in mind when I take my next trip in January.

As far as logging your trip, a few years ago, my brother and I did a 7000 mile trip around the country. We started out in Jackson, Miss. and went through Chicago, Albuquerque, LA, Portland, Chicago and back to Jackson. Going into it, we knew it was going to be the trip of a lifetime and we wanted to log it as well. We looked at doing a blog, and I did want to write about the trip, but it got to be a hassle to want to write down everything that happened. We ended up taking a few GoPro cameras along with us. We were able to mount them to the window in our roomette with a suction cup and hit record and let it go. I am actually in the process of editing it now. I can upload the partial video I have so far and let you see the direction I am going with it if you would like.

One thing I never did that I wish I had was take it a step further and do a video blog. I may keep that in mind when I take my next trip in January.
Thanks for sharing your insight. I am writing a blog about the trip. It's password protected in real-time, for friends and family, but I'll make it public afterward. As for video blogging, I might include video in my blog once in a while. You had a neat idea to mount the go pro. Would love to see the edited version, yes! Please notify me when something is posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back